Rainbows and t-shirt quilt?? How??--now with pic!!

Hi all-- I have a t shirt quilt coming up soon in my list and the customer is requesting red, WHITE, and blue thread--the only one I could find is Rainbows--have never tried the stuff and wondering if anyone else has tried this combination.

The shirts are backed with interfacing and I will be using QD Machine Blend.

What kind of bobbin would work best for this--I have Bottom Line and So Fine in colors that would work.

This is also the 1st tshirt quilt I have attempted--so really didn\'t want to try learn 2 new things at once--but guess I have to--unless someone knows of any other red, WHITE and blue thread.

Thanks so much!!!

Terri

Terri,

My first real quilt last spring was a t-shirt quilt, appliqued onto denim.:o I didn\'t know any bettter, so I quilted the whole thing with a panto using bottom line grey, top and bobbin. It worked like a charm. I don\'t see why rainbows wouldn\'t work, but if you\'re really concerned, give a shout to Superior Threads - they can probably advise you whether there are issues to watch for.

Good luck!

Ok--so tomorrow\'s job is to hunt the archives here and find all the info about Rainbows as I can--since some of you think this might be a problem.

Most of the varigieted have cream in the mix and this customer wants white--school colors.

I will keep you updated on the progress next week....

Thanks--Terri

Rainbows thread is beautiful and like Kathy said once you get the hang of it, it is wonderful. Using it on a t-shirt quilt is where it could be a real challenge. Sometimes there are designs on the t-shirt, in addition to the interfacing that can slow/bog the machine down a bit, that is where I think you could have a frustrating time with Rainbows.

:)Hi

I had problems with Rainbow thread until I worked with Bob from Superior Threads. That is a company that really cares about their customer. Can\'t say enough good there. I now have one bobbin case dedicated to Rainbow thread only. Loose tension is the key. Good luck with your Tee Shirt Quilt.

Geri

• 2 weeks later...

I love Rainbows thread, and just used to RWB on a quilt for the Veteran\'s Administration lobby. It turned out great. I agree, you just have to know your tension. The first time I used it with CompuQuilter, I also slowed the machine down some. I didn\'t need to change my bobbin case. was able to adjust by backing off the upper tension until it felt like it HAD to be too loose to function. No more fear of Rainbows!

I would not use Maxi-Loc. It is serger thread and not up to the wear and tear of quilts. I think A&E makes Signature, which is a very nice affordable thread, albeit nothing like Superior, and they also make Maxi-Loc, but the "loc" is a clue that it is for an overlock machine (serger)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the response on Rainbows thread--I have now conquered the fear that everyone seems to have with this--I just loosened the tension until--it felt like it would be too loose--and that was just perfect!!

They quilted like a dream!!

post--13461899429237_thumb.jpg

Dory--I use my Towa--and had it set on 10--with aluminum bobbin--and the top tension very loose--someone said that the little hook on the tension disc should go to 8 oclock when pulling the thread back through the needle--and that is how I had it.

Just keep playing--good luck

Archived