puckery quilt

I just got a request from a customer who has a quilt that is puckered due to piecing problems. She wants a batting and quilting that will make it look more puckery overall or not noticable at all, does anyone have ideas that will disguise/accentuate the puckers in the quilting? I haven\'t seen it with my own eyes yet, so I don\'t have a visual. Thanks for any and all help you can offer.

I am at a loss for words---unusual for me!

Usually the piecer wants us to do miracles and make all the piecing problems disappear--poof!

That top must be a doozy if the only way to rescue it is to add more puckers.

I have no advice and am dying to see a picture when you get the top! Please post one then amd maybe some miracle worker (Bonnie???) can help.

Hey, thanks for the response!! I know what you mean about the "norm", they usuall do expect you to perform some miracle and make all that bad piecing disappear. She said that (not exactly sure if she pieced it or if it was a sample from her LQS cause she has brought some of those to me before) but she said that some of the fabric had been cut wrong and one was about 1/3 bigger than it should have been and this is what caused the puckering. Every where that one is in the quilt, it caused these issues. This customer is a honey of gal and I really like working for her. I will post a photo as soon as I get the quilt in my hands. Thanks again!!

I know this sounds crazy, but I like being challenged with things like this!! Mostly because I view challenges like these really are a way that we can grow in knowledge and ability to help us on down the road... ya know?

This is the first time I\'ve replied to anything on this forum so hope it works ok. I have recently closed down my quilting business and am currently enjoying quilting all the tops I didn\'t get to do while working full time and running a quilt shop/quilting business. I have had my Millennium since 2001

I have done several "puckery" quilts. I try to choose a panto that does not cross itself very often and preferably doesn\'t come too close together either. The last one I did was puckered on the pieced back and the top. I used soft and white poly batting and Surf\'s Up panto. It turned out awesome. I usually use warm & natural or warm & white for the batting. Once it is washed it will be puckered all over and the original problem will disappear.

I\'ve also used Bonnie Borseth\'s Shooting stars very successfully on several puckered quilts. Even though it crosses itself lots it seems to push the puckers around enough that it all evens out in the end. I actually find that the best thing for really puckered quilts is a medium meander with a couple of soup cans on the quilt (one on each side of the machine). You can more easily control where the puckers go if you work from the front and therefore avoid real problems that you can\'t see from the back. A stars & loops meander works well for that.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Bonnie in Northern BC

If it is really bad, I\'ve used polydown double with a meander. I only have the warm products now so that is what I use. The key is not too much quilting and few crossovers.

The soup cans just roll around on the top of the quilt as you move the machine. One word of caution though. If you have a cat or dog that likes to be under the machine, keep track of the cans. I have had them tumble onto the Huey, our daughter\'s cat, a couple of times. He loves to chase the cans from under the machine. Almost caught his tail once.

Have fun.

Bonnie from Northern BC

Polydown is very forgiving with a top that has a lot of fullness. It kinda poofs up and takes out the slack in the full areas. If it\'s really bad, I would use a medium loft (or even 2 layers) of a batt that shrinks pretty good. She shoud wash and dry the quilt and it will get that puckery look which will minimize the look of the bad piecing and poofy areas. I haven\'t tried the soup can trick, but it\'s sounds like fun! I bet it works pretty good too!:P I\'d probably drop the can on my foot instead of the cat!:(

Thanks everyone for all the help!! I appreciate it so very much!!

I had considered two layers, but wanted to see what you guys thought. I just got an email from her and she said that she pieced it with her daughters help and the problem is only with a couple of blocks, and is the rectangle in those blocks that are too long evidentally. It is the Kings Highway quilt pattern. Since it isn\'t all over the quilt maybe some simple easing might solve it, ya think?

Hi Kathy, I\'ve had several puckery, lumpy quilts and I use a freehand meander (working from the front of the machine) to ease all the fullness in, also I use my hand to put weight on the different areas as I am quilting. If you have pleats due to excessive fullness caused by oversized pieces the meander can be stitched right over the lumps and \'nail\' the tough spots down. :o Flannel backing along with cotton batting shrinks up nice & puckery after washing. Good luck! ;)

Archived