2 quilts finished this last week.

Here are 2 quilts that I finished last week. The first one is a Log Cabin lap size quilt. My customer chose really beautiful fabrics (large prints) for the dark strips and very tone on tone beige fabrics for the light strips. My picture does not do this one justice, but here it is

2524428180094956607S425x425Q85.jpg

And a picture of the back

2700672050094956607S425x425Q85.jpg

The next one is a Green brick road quilt. This one was a little more of a challenge only because the borders were a bit wavy, the customer warned me that she always has a problem with them and keeps trying to get them right! anyway, this was done in greens, beige & browns. Very calming to look at.

2038224030094956607S425x425Q85.jpg

And a close up

2710354500094956607S425x425Q85.jpg

I really have to appologize for the photo\'s. They are way too dark, but the quilts are gone and back in their own homes now, so I guess it will have to be good enough. Thanks for checking them out.

Wow, those are really pretty. I especially like the Log Cabin. Those are my kind of colors, and I love your quilting. Was that a panto or freehand? If it\'s a panto, which one is it?

Also, I couldn\'t help but notice that you got multiple pictures in one post..... how do you do that??? I can\'t figure that one out!

Thanks for sharing!

Both of the quilts are done freehand. And MaryBeth, none of my customers say to just do what I want. They always go for the cheaper stuff. (Maybe that says something about me???:P:P)

Re: posting, well, when you hit the blue reply button, there is another option in the reply screen. A little button with a mountain on it, you can hit that and then copy and paste the website address of your picture into the box that comes up. Hit enter a couple of times, and go back to the mountain button, click on it, then copy & paste the website address of another picture. Hard to describe but easy once you figure it out. Linda S in Eugene was my teacher on this but I think she explained it probably better than I am. Hope that helps.

Patty Jo, wow those peacock meanderings look beautiful!

I am sure your customers walked away very happy with those results.

Mary Beth, last year I too felt over whelmed with customs, they really made me dread my job...but at the begining of 2008 I did away with customs (I was taking a 50% loss of productivity and $ whenever I had one to do) :( So it was a sound business decision on my part and I am much happier with the out come :) After all if you are not happy with what you are doing than why do it?

I have mixed feelings about custom quilting. Our LQS had a BOM club last year. Over 130 signed up, but only about a dozen brought their completed quilts in to show at the BOM reveal party; some were pieced but not quilted. Tuesday, I delivered my 6th BOM Sampler to a customer. She loved what I did. I probably under-charged. :(

I call it light custom when I treat each block differently but use mostly CC in the quilting. Not difficult, not much fill but designing each one in my head was a chore by number 3. The first 5 jobs, I used SID so ruler required. So you know I did not charge enough.

#6 had prairie points on the second of 3 borders, very cool. I used painter\'s tape to temporarily hold the PP\'s up so I could quilt 1-2-3s on the outer border where I had pre-marked the "V" between the PPs. I did not want to SID thru all that fabric. Another LAer uses serpentine instead of SID. It is a thin elongated wavy line. The quilting line entered, waved and left the base of each prairie point. Will try to post photo later. It nailed down the PP, I didn\'t want them to flip over after the first washing.

I look at all the work that goes into piecing a sampler, I just have a hard time plowing over it with an overall meander. I know that my customers appreciate my work but I know that on a couple of those quilts, I was working for minimum wage. :o:o

Archived