Deciding which brand to buy?

I didn\'t really know much about longarm quilting machines, other than I WANTED ONE. The only names I really knew were Gamill and APQS. Researched then cooled off a couple of times. Eventually went to a show, the G people (and I\'m sure they\'re very nice) weren\'t there, so that ruled them out. There were a few quilting frame people there and a couple of different longarm brands. One of the other reps told me they thought I\'d quite like their machine, though it wasn\'t what they really wanted it was just that they couldn\'t afford an APQS. That was about all I needed to hear and off I toddled to the APQS stand. I still don\'t know much about other quilt machines, but I do LOVE Millie.

Ammoman, I\'m still confused about the IYAAYAS, and Shana I await with eager anticipation your FUWEA.

Linda, your quote is great and so true, especially if you have teens!!!

I love to quilt and had a PC Quilter with a Mega-Quilt machine, it gave me trouble then I can say not to mention the rude company reps. I decided that I needed to go LA to be truely happy. I read everything I could on the web then started the foot work of "driving" different machines at shows. First the APQS rep was amazing and friendly "a sister quilter". She answered every question and more.

The big "g" rep couldn\'t answer any questions and was somewhat stand-offish and kept running away from me and going to other customers. The "G" machine was heavy and kept grabbing on the fabric. Rep said it was to much sewing in one area so I moved to a blank area. Guess what, the machine was still hard to move. Well, when the rep told me it was because of the "stitch regulator" and it quilts better without it, she made my mind up, I HAD TO HAVE A MILLIE!!

I\'ve had "Gator" for almost a year now and love it. The two times I had a problem (which was late night on Sunday) my rep, this site and customer service responded and I was back in service. I\'m not sure but it\'s safe to say that "big G" probably couldn\'t be reached 10PM on a weekend. With all this, I recommend you contact the reps and drive several LA machines, check each forum, etc. If you need to finance, the bank in IOWA is great also, I spoke directly to the bank vice president (he even returned my calls). I can honestly say, I have never met a snotty APQS machine owner, no do they talk down the other LA machines or reps. We honestly are a family. Oh, I upgraded to the new millie which should be here in a couple weeks (love the led lights versus a light bar). WELCOME. :cool:

Thanks everyone who has responded. To me it is important to actually hear from people who use these machines on a day-to-day basis. To me personal testimonials mean a lot more than what any sales rep can tell me. I am the kind of shopper who likes to look at reviews so I know exactly what the consumers have to say about a product not some fancy advertising.

How about the computerized system is it easy to use?

This has been a great post to read.

I too love my Millie...........Yes......I am a rep. But before that I was just a quilter that already had a machine............... and it was paid for. The minute I tried a Millie I knew I had found a better machine and bought one an hour later. I have never regretted that decision.

TCasmey, you too will love the machine you choose, no matter which one it is. I will find you will fell so much better and relived when you " Just Do It"

Myrna

Originally posted by catsigler

I\'ve been so curious about the A-1 since buying videos from Jamie Wallen, Renae Haddadin and Pam Clarke. Can you tell me why you chose APQS over A-1? What didn\'t you like about A-1? Is there really significant difference in smoothness, ease of movement and weight among any of these machines?

Cat, I started out on a Proto, I bought my first machine, a Proto, sight unseen. I had never even touched a longarm of any kind. It was the perfect starter as it ran absolutely ANY thread. It was just hard to move.

After I ordered it I drove a Gammill at a show and it vibrated so bad that my hand tingled for 20 min afterward. I freaked out wondering what I\'d gotten myself into. LOL Fortunately my Proto didn\'t vibrate. <smile>

When I decided I wanted to do more intricate quilting for long periods I wanted something lighter and more manuverable than my Proto.

I was really thinking I would end up w/an A1 because of all I\'d heard about them and all the fun I have w/their dealers at shows, but after taking 2 hands on classes on them at MQS (as well as 2 on APQS machines and falling in love w/a Freedom SR) and then test driving them on the show floor (only liked 1 of the 6 A1s, but LOVED the Freedom SR there as well). I also test drove both brands at the Denver show (the APQS machines were not set up well there, both the Freedom and Millie were VERY stiff), and the A1 at the Longmont show. The A1s are different in feel from head to head, they have a sort of "bop" at slow speeds, but not all at the same slow speed if that makes sense. It made it hard for me to control, but be advised that\'s just me.

Also I was very spoiled by the fabric advance on my Proto, handicapped is really a more accurate word. I go back and forth in the same block constantly. I was not willing to go to a fabric advance that I still had to go to the end of the machine and release the rollers on. If I do that I can turn a wheel, what\'s the point? A1 said they could make a different FA for extra money but I wouldn\'t know/see one until I got it.

Here\'s what it boiled down to as to why I chose against the A1. I\'m lazy and worry easily.

1) laziness - I didn\'t want to have to learn to use the cruise on the A1. I can see the benefits to it. I like the idea of it. I don\'t want to have to learn to stop and set it to one place for feathers and another for fills and so on, and I don\'t like the A1 SR mode.

I am used to using SR mode and really didn\'t want to have to change. Laziness pure and simple. LOL

I had 2 worries.

1) The biggest - Not knowing before hand if I will like the exact head I\'ll get without traveling somewhere to test drive and then putting my name on one. I can\'t afford to do that. I liked the one at the Longmont show okay, but not near as well as I liked the one at MQS. I didn\'t like the other 5 I tried at MQS AT ALL! Those were scary odds to me.

2) Trusting that A1 can come up with a fabric advance that is like the one Proto had (one I can advance w/out walking to the end and releasing the rollers, just do it at the machine where I\'m working. APQS has a pedal that moves w/me) w/out ever seeing it done. A1\'s owner said he could make me one for my machine (for extra) but I didn\'t know him well enough or have seen enough of his work to believe that he can do it with only taking a glance at a Proto at MQS. Maybe he totally could have, but it was a worry to me until I see it in person, and that isn\'t going to happen if I\'m the first one.

After I\'d pretty much talked/shopped myself out of the A1 I called APQS to see if there were any Freedoms around me I could try again, and they said no but they would send one to a Millie owner to put on her table and I could go try it. If I liked it I could take it home w/me and they would get the table to me ASAP. I was impressed (blown away actually) w/that kind of customer service and continue to be impressed by them.

I tried it, had problems w/it running Rainbows (my main staple thread) and wasn\'t sure (also they sent one w/out the light bar moved behind the needle bar like I wanted) so left it.

I talked to my friend Danetta who has a Millie (also switched from a Proto) and she told me how LOOSE LOOSE LOOSE these machines like to run tension wise and told me she was in the middle of a quilt using Invisafil 100wt thread w/no problems and I would learn how to use the machine no problem. I ordered one the next day.

I love love love it. Oh, and I have be-friended it. We run everything from Invisafil, Rainbows/Highlights, to Brytes. Actually all on the quilt I\'m working on now.

:P

I\'m sorry this got so long winded.

Hope it helps.

I started out with a Gammill Premier. It was a used machine. Great machine, I had no problems with it at all. I was so excited to finally have a longarm! I went to HMQS in Salt Lake to buy stuff for the longarm. While I was there, I test drove the APQS machines, just for fun (that\'s what I told myself). Came home, used the Gammill for a couple of months. Even though it was a great machine, it just wasn\'t exactly what I needed for the kind of quilting I wanted to be able to do. So I sent out a couple of emails, and Darlene Epp answered every one of my questions. Then she called me and we talked some more. Long story short, within 3 months of buying the Gammill, I ordered a Millennium. And I was able to sell the Gammill pretty easily, even made a little profit on it.

I have to say that the Millennium is a far superior machine. The stitch regulator is AWESOME. I can run ANY thread without issue. The stitches are gorgeous. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the auto advance and the hydraulic lift.

I set up the machine myself, and it was not too hard to do. (My husband helped just a little bit). The only issue I\'ve had is the table being out of kilter somehow, but I am working on that and have it almost resolved. I complained on this board about it the other day, and both Darlene and Myrna offered their help. There is also a dealer in Salt Lake, Dan Baker, that is the best for explaining mechanical things in a way my husband can understand.

Moral of the story: I am an APQS girl all the way!! :P

Geez, Finally an answer to the mystery. I guessed ammoman was probably a guy (duh) and probably military, as is most of my family and I am former Air Force also. Good for you ammoman. Glad you found APQS.

We are all so lucky and so spoiled. Great machine, great service, great company. Even if there are glitches, they stand behind their product. That\'s why we all buy them. The fact that they run great, smooth as butter and can take about any thread, make nearly perfect stitches, easy to use tension, easy to replace parts on the rare occasion you need them, are all gravy on the taters. The reps are always available, Dawn is amazing with her knowledge and the friends you make on this list---ok, you get the pic. I am very happy with my Millie. Of course, after my wreck I am hoping she is still healthy! Enjoy whichever machine you choose. Hope to see you here more often.

Nancy Jo:P

I also researched buying a LA for almost 6 months. I narrowered it to 2 brands of machines. Since I live in AK there are no dealers close, so I decided that what ever machine I did choose, I would need great customer service. I certainly have received that. I also was very lucky to go to UT and take lessons from Myrna. She is a wonderful teacher and I do hope some day she will come to AK and teach us up here. I love my Millie! I have had it for year now, but I still don\'t quilt for others since I still work, but maybe some day I will.

Well, I\'m no expert. I\'ve left 4 machines in my wake. The first is a Ken quilt, very good machine and very quiet for a shortarm. Second one was a E-Q from APQS which I used to death and finally killed. Third, an Ultimate II which I still have and refuse to give up. This is the ultimate work horse with the attitude of not giving up, it just keeps on ticking. Forth, Gammill DPQ which I was sorry to sell. That machine had the sloppiest hook and it had the best stitch quality hands down. I don\'t know why, but it did. The good thing is that a good friend of mind now owns it. Fifth. Gammill Optimum and what a tank that bugger was. Made of die cast aluminum and mass produced in taiwain. It was a nice stitch regulated machine, but it was just too damn heavy. I guess you could say that I really hated that machine, because it did not work when I bought it. It had a lot of problems and it took a lot of time to figure them out. Number six, and hopefully the last is the Ultimate I. Now there is a hot rod of a machine. It\'s light and it glides so nicely. It doesn\'t have all the bells and whistles that the Milli\'s have, but it works just fine for me with a needle positioner and single stitch. Don\'t take my word for anything, becaues you need to find out for yourself. Try as any machines as you can and I know that you will pick APQS.............zeke.......

My first machine was a used Ult. 1 that I purchased at Quilt Festival in Houston in 2002. I had previously rented time on a Gammill and all my concerns about that machine were addressed by APQS. I upgraded to a used Millennium in 2004 and went into business. I liked that machine but it was tempermental at best with thread, tension and movement. We worked things out and I think my business was good because of the quality of my machine (in a sea of G, if you know what I mean). I perservered and was rewarded with my new Milli that just came in this week. The machine works effortlessless. I love it. I have to admit that I replaced the wheels in the same effort with Edge Riders but I have to say, she floats like a dream.

Because my old Milli was tempermental, at MQS last year, I enjoyed playing with both the A1 and the Gammill. I realized at that time that I could switch to another brand and be happy.

Two things I noted though, I didn\'t like the handles on the other machines. I was coming off of a thumb injury and the handle positions were not ergo...... in any sense of the word (which I can\'t spell). I also thought that the Gammill moved well but the handles were so far apart from the needle (I\'m a nose in the book kind of girl) that I don\'t think I could get my best movement from the disconnect.

I know now, with my new machine, that I can see the quilt better, it runs smoother, sticth length and quality is great and I don\'t have to fight the machine.

I will add that with getting my new machine (and wheels), I know I was fighting too hard to quilt before. Rulers and templetes were merely a tool to help me make the machine go in the right direction as opposed to being a guide. ( I questioned an earlier thread about upper body strength because I am the strongest woman in my TKD class (because of the machine). I\'ll have to worry about strengthing now that I don\'t have to fight to quilt.)

I\'m confident that with my new machine, I will be a better quilter, definitely less sweaty and wilted after I complete a quilt.

I hope I get a connector soon so I can use my CQ with my new machine!

Donna

Wow! You all have answered a lot of my questions too. I\'ve been looking for 6 months..started looking at an HG. It felt ok but my DH looked at the stitches with the SR on and said, Honey, yours are better on your Viking."" Thank you my dear.

Anyway, even though he almost fell over when he heard the price he said I should take time to look at these machines. (That\'s what he does with everything...drives us crazy!) Anyway,I\'ve been following the various threads, mostly this one and found everyone so helpful and supportive. You\'ve answered my questions too about why you like your APQS and if anyone could enlighten me about the Gammill.

I got to test drive a "G" at a quilt show last week..felt ok and didn\'t seem to have any problems. I was there stitching for at least 1/2 hr each day I went. Dealer was very helpful and patient. He did say that all machines have overseas main parts and are assembled in the USA as well as the bodies being made here. They have sent me info and called me to see if I had questions even before I went to the show. They were given my name following my inquiry at HQ.

I like the way the top take up bar can be raised so you can accsess the batting for adding trapunto pieces or removing a missed lose thread. Also for sitting down. You can also get really close to the quilt without reaching . The hand controlled fabric advance seems to be an advantage \'cause you can tighten the fabric roll and feel the tension without over doing it.

Rep did recommend the edge rider wheels. My friend, who owns and Optimum and quilts professionaly never heard about using a diaper!

Now, after all of that, I\'m going to a show in Columbus, OH on the 25th. Brandie, emailed my confirmation and said if I had questions beforehand just email or call. I\'m looking forward to this and will let you know how it goes.

Now for my reason to chat tonight, I should be in bed!!, I saw a vidcast on BonnieMcCaffery.com with Renae Haddidin and she showed several of her quilts done on her LA (an A-1, I think). Gorgeous. She showed a tool she developed for doing diagonal lines, marking curved diamonds and some other stuff. Check it out if you haven\'t seen this before. It\'s worth seeing the quilting.

When I purchased my Millennium in 2004, Myrna and Marilyn were at the Pacific International Quilt Show. Myrna let me play for about 3 hours, answered all my questions and was so patient. Mark was there too and he and my DH talked about how the frame was put together (DH is a welder). Another dealer for another brand was more interested in his ladies stopping by to say hi and give him hugs to even answer my questions. Then he had the nerve to say "you\'ll be back". That\'s the wrong thing to say to me. I didn\'t even look at others as I was hooked on the Millennium the moment I moved it across the fabric.

We went back to our room that night and made our decision to buy. So the next day Myrna let me play again for about an hour then we signed up. I have never regreted my purchase. Support has been great. I\'ve had so little go wrong with this machine. Love, love, love it. If you get a chance to take their two-day maintenance class...go for it. You get to tour the plant too.

Hi...deciding which brand to buy can be overwhelming. My DH was great--he really has jumped with me into the whole quilting aspect of my life. I\'ve only been quilting for a couple of years, but I am so passionate (read obsessed with everything "quilt") about it, that\'s its really taken over. My other passion is horses and I find myself on 50 mile endurance rides planning my next quilt, rather than paying attention to the trail and the ribbons so I don\'t get lost!:D

Year before last at my local guild\'s quilt show, there was an HQ vendor with a floor-model machine that he was selling to upgrade to the next level for shows. DH wanted to buy it..right then. I wouldn\'t let him because I wasn\'t sure which machine I wanted. A year later, I had it narrowed down...I was sure I wanted a Tin Lizzie and that I wanted to go into business so that in two years I could retire.

Researching led me to Longarm University with Cindy Roth. What I learned at Longarm U was that if I wanted to start a business, a better choice of machine was one of the big names: "G" or APQs or A-1 or something of that nature so that it could handle the stress of constant quilting. Longarm U is taught on "G" machines--I didn\'t really like them. After sewing for a bit, I was still vibrating :mad: -- That could have been caused by not having it balanced correctly, but I also felt as if I didn\'t have enough control. On the way home, I tried out a Proto--a machine I\'d never heard of. I really liked it, but because the company is small, my DH was concerned about service.

Then I really started researching--it was between APQS and A-1. I was lucky enough to try a Millennium at Cheryl Uribe\'s. We saw her set up and how well-built the machine and frame are. Then she talked about how user-friendly these machines are and how great this list is for when help is necessary. I loved how the machine felt and was hooked.

Bascially, I think that when you are going to spend a chunk of money--like on a Millennium or an A-1--that machine-wise, they may be somewhat comperable. However, I love my Millie. I\'m still so new to all this that my opinion may not matter that much--but all the women on this list can\'t be wrong. I realize that not everyone on here has an APQS; however, most of you do. They are wonderful machines, they come with great manuals and they\'re own network of support (sort of the Verizon of longarms).

Its a tough decision, but I\'m totally thrilled with my Millennium and the support I\'ve gotten. I have no regrets and I\'d buy another tomorrow. I hope this helps...a little :)

Went to the Pacific Quilt Show in October. 1) to meet the APQS rep in person - we\'d already been emailing. 2) to try out machines.

Tried the Freedom and Lennie. Yum yum. I wanted the Freedom - hubby loved the Lennie ($ a factor). I got my Freedom SR.

While I was testing the machines I could hear other machines working. I found out it was the Gammill two aisles and quite a few vendors away. They were that loud in a big convention center. The G ladies were nice but my rep (Cheryl Uribe) was outstanding. Gammill was much heavier and I want ease of use and best quality for the $.

Good luck

Archived