Mentoring the next generation of quilters

ramona-quilter

As a professional quilter, I feel that one of my responsibilities to my community is to mentor the quilters that are just starting out. I remember my overwhelming frustration when I got my first machine and tried loading my first quilt. It was an old and neglected Ultimate I and did not come with a manual. I felt so helpless.

I looked at that machine and felt so inadequate. I doubted my ability to learn this trade and worried that I had spent all that money and would not be able to make a go of it. Heck, I couldn\'t even load a quilt. How could I face my husband with this news. Maybe I could sell it without losing too much money. Then I found a web-site that gave me step-by-step instructions on how to load. It answered so many of my questions and from that moment on, I had a better attitude.

So our little town of 40,000 has had 3 new longarm machines delivered this month, one with a computer. We already had 6 or 7 longarmers. I have to say that I honestly tried to talk one of the gals out of buying it. I don\'t think her heart is in it and she does not have staying power.

"I can do loops and hearts on my DSM" she tells me.

I just figured that in 6 months I would hear that she is selling her machine because she cannot make a go of it.

So I put out the word that I would do a 3 hour session at my house covering loading, tension and Q&A with these 3 gals. They get 4 days of training from the dealer but the confidence wears off once it is just you and your new expensive machine. 2 out of 3 have responded and are eager.

So here is my problem. One of my friends, another local LAer, thinks that I should charge for this training. She may also feel that I am training her competition. I remember that comment came up when Grammie Tammie did her first-ever training session. I will not charge for this. For me, this is payback. So are you listening, Angela Meadows? (Meadow-Lyon) (http://www.meadowlyon.com/Misc_Pages/Loading_UltI_Tips.htm)

This one is for you, Angela. Thanks for the attitude check 3 years ago.

Am I crazy to do this training?

I think its admirable of you to offer this service. I hadn\'t had my machine a year yet when I let a quilter (Nita) come and try out my machine. My husband thought I was nuts, something could happen you know. I just thought I could help someone decide if it was the right machine for her. And I thought visiting with another quilter was a treat. She even brought some of her own work to share.

You go girl. I believe payback is not only the right thing to do, but is required of all of us that have been so blessed. These machines allow our creativity to soar, put food in the mouths of families, give many a purpose, and on an on. When we all pass on a little of what we have learned, we receive it back tenfold. Good for you, Linda. I admire your attitude.

Nancy Jo:):)

You go girl. I believe payback is not only the right thing to do, but is required of all of us that have been so blessed. These machines allow our creativity to soar, put food in the mouths of families, give many a purpose, and on an on. When we all pass on a little of what we have learned, we receive it back tenfold. Good for you, Linda. I admire your attitude.

Nancy Jo:):)

Linda, I can understand your "saturation" concern with three more longarms in Ramona.

Well for me personally, I always am a little puzzled when I hear the words come out saying that "We are training our competition."

No matter what we\'ve done in life to this modern day in time...think about it, if we humans survived all of these years living in fear that we might be training our competition, then I think we\'d still be living in caves and rubbing two rocks together to make a fire.

Sure, it\'s always good to make an informed decision when getting involved in anything, or starting a business. But, sorry I can\'t accept that we are training our competition. If this were true, then we wouldn\'t have the Karen McTavish\'s, Sue Pattons (among many many other Famous quilters) out there teaching their techniques. I think we need to think of the bigger picture here, and go with the attitude that there is a place for everyone in this great big world of creativity. Helping someone find their dream or giving them a little confidence is wonderful.

Thanks, Linda!

PS: Speaking of mentoring our next generation.... Guess what? This Saturday, Our guild is doing something Brand Spankin\' New! (kinda sorta my idea) We have approximately 15 elementary and high school aged kids coming to learn basic quilting (piecing) and their finished little wallhanging quilt/table topper will be entered in the local fair. Our goal was to get these kids to enter quilts in the fair, so we found a simple, easy pattern and will spend the day putting it together. I have two girls in 4th grade assigned to me on Saturday. I am excited to teach them and see the joy on their faces. I heard these kids are very excited for this chance to learn to sew a quilt top and finish it. I can\'t even imagine their excitement to see their little quilt hanging on the wall at the fair. Too fun.

:):):):)

Happy quilting, everyone!

Linda--

For a long time I have been impressed by your clear view and generous nature. You always get to the heart of the matter and say so eloquently what is floating in my head but sometimes doesn\'t come out my mouth.

That said, you are not training your competition. Your are building relationships that you will never regret. They will take your example and transfer that generosity to the next person in need of a boost. I love that.

A casual friend purchased a used older Nolting from a local longarmer who immediately moved away. Another friend learned she was having the multitude of problems everyone encounters with that leap into longarming--tension issues, mechanical problems, where to order supplies--you all know the routine. The second friend assured this newbie (also a Linda, of course!) that she should at least talk to me. She came over, we had a teaching day, she borrowed books, she picked my brain, she oohed and ahhed over my thread, yada, yada. There is no downside to this--newbie Linda feels more confident and knows I will help her at any time. The second go-between friend feels good cuz we are all happy because of her, and I feel wonderful that I could help, instruct, reassure, and enjoy this new "best friend" of mine. She may or may not start a business--I don\'t care. She left with a sparkle in her eye and the knowledge that it is all do-able with time and practice.

Thanks for letting me share this and thanks Linda for doing what your heart tells you to do.

As a "newbie" to long arm I am thrilled to hear of your giving back and mentoring. I can\'t tell you how many people I helped with their Bernina\'s along the way. It feels good in your heart to help others and only you can judge if you are doing the right thing. Here in Tampa, Florida - I don\'t know how many others currently have long arms - but I know they each have their own special place in our quilting world and I would hope they wouldn\'t look at me as "competition" but instead in a sisterly manner. Thanks again for everything you do for everyone else - God Bless!!!

Cheryl in Tampa

Well said, LindaR. What longarmers in this situation are doing is helping.. Doesn\'t/ shouldn\'t matter should they become competition or not.. they will be friends or foe, good or bad, but all like we, will have received help, I hope given back a double measure..

RitaR

Hi Linda,

I think it is wonderful to help out other longarm quilters. In fact I encourage it.

My phrase "Training the competition" was meant to be funny. I had a friend make that comment to me and couldn\'t understand why I would spend the time locally to train a new longarmer when she could take my business from me. I wasn\'t worried about that in the least. Sorry if you took me literally. lol

I think we should indeed help someone anytime we are given the opportunity. I can assure you that I got alot out of doing that for the longarmer. I learned more than she did I think. I was lucky that she was a wonderful person and student.

Have a great time teaching others and do share it with us how it goes.

Hugs to ya,

Cya in Kansas I hope.

Grammie Tammie

I think that you are all doing the right thing with helping newbies, or anyone for that matter. We have talents that we can share in many ways and as far as helping the "competition", well, we all needed help and realize how frustrating it can be to get started. This is helping those people get off to a good start. And the saying goes, that what goes around comes around. You will be repaid many times over for the good that you are doing. :)

Linda,

I don\'t think you\'re crazy, I think that you are very generous, giving person.

That\'s what I love about this forum, all the loving caring ladies and gentlemen that are willing to share their knowledge.

You are doing a very good service for these ladies and I sure hope they appreciate you as much as we all do.

Coleen

Linda,

(I\'m standing up clapping!)

I agree with all of the above! AND, to top it off, arent we "here" on this chat for the same thing? Don\'t we constantly help each other out?

Also, just because they "move in to your area" is not a threat. (at least in my mind.)

They could be a "future word of mouth referral" for you! They may encounter a customer to which they feel "YOUR" quilting is best served for that customer! After all, YOUR the one who taught THEM and I doubt they\'ll ever forget it!

Hence, the long-term relationship between you and they will bind, just like our quilts!

"still clapping"

Thank you all for the kind words. It is good to know that the giving spirit that we all enjoy here on this virtual forum does transfer out to the real world. Linda R, you are my hero. I want to move in next door to you and swap ideas with you while we quilt all day long. :)

LindaR, Patty Jo and Tammie, (and other veteran quilters) we have been doing this for a while on this forum. We mentor by encouraging, troubleshooting and praising the efforts of other quilters, new and not-so-new ;). We may have learned things the hard way but other quilters benefit from our hard-won experience.

It is hard to get a new business going and my friend was a bit worried that additional quliters meant the available work was going to be divided by more quilters, thus less for her. I don\'t know if that is true or not; I can\'t predict the future. (If I could, I would buy a lottery ticket tomorrow and be quilting in my jammies from now on :D :D) But my friends words made me think and I wondered if she was right. It sounds like you guys would or are doing the same thing I do. We know what is right in our hearts.

Tammie, why do we let people put bugs in our ears? In our hearts, we know what is the right thing to do. You trained (and I bet still are training) the next generation. And it does feel so good to help other folks.

We don\'t own the skills and ideas... we just own the machines and "stuff" and I believe we have a real obligation to help others uncover their own talents. I found local LA\'er worried at first when I got my machine, but there is plenty of business to go around, and I have gotten many help me calls from others.

Giving generously has been done to us, maybe not in the exact same way, but certainly we are all blessed, and to share the enjoyment, to help others achieve blesses both ways No way can you lose. I agree that this forum has helped me think of things in different ways, be prepared for problems that might arise, etc. It\'s always easier when there is a direct contact. We all shouldn\'t have to invent the wheel! Good for you!

I am guilty as the all of us getting caught up in NEGATIVITY. I like others haven\'t always came across with the passion in my heart rather than coming off as angry or mad. As we all communicate with the internet it can be difficult to impress on others our real passion and love.

I am learning all the time. What I can say to you is it is so important to do the the right thing no matter the concequence. It is so gratifying to help others. Even when money isn\'t the real gain.

Hugs

Grammie

I\'m going to speak up as a now-where-near-getting-my-machine-wanna-be. I so appreciate everyone on this chat. Even tho I don\'t have a machine...YET...I am learning so much from each of you every day that goes by. I am so grateful for each of you! I\'m thankful that APQS has provided this forum and that everyone is so generous with help, instructions, tips, new ideas, product opinions, (and mostly the pictures!) :D I could go on and on. For all I know there might be someone out there that doesn\'t like my participating here since I don\'t qualify as a LA\'r yet, but I never ever feel like I\'m not welcome or not a part of this group. I don\'t always log on and chat, that\'s just my way of trying to rest my hands after 9+ hours a day on a keyboard, writing or talking on the phone non-stop. But logged on or not I always feel like I\'m sitting in a class or maybe someone\'s kitchen with a really great, friendly group of friends who know exactly what they are talking about and would never lead me astray or give me wrong advice. I just cannot express my appreciation for each of you, the generosity in your hearts, the kindness in your words, and the wisdom that just pours out on these virtual pages! Thank everyone of you!

Kenna-babe!!!! :) Love you, Honey!!! Hey everyone is welcome here, not matter what. I always look forward to reading your messages. I love this quilt chat and consider it the best thing since the invention of the rotary cutter. I am very grateful for all my friends (who are MY mentors) here, the support and encouragement I get and all the wealth of information that is shared. We are all so lucky to have this little corner of the quilt room.

Gosh, does this ever bring back memories. When I got my first machine, it came in a long wooden box and was delivered to my front porch. At that time, there weren\'t any books or tools available. There were a few pantos avail. from Norma Sharp (I believe there was something like 20 or so avail and I bought them all.) There I sat with this machine and had no idea what to do with it. I learned by trial and error. I remembered how I felt when starting out and had no problem helping other long-armers get going. Of course some of them became my competition but so what!! People may try other long-armers and like them better than me because of their quilting styles, that\'s fine. But, if you do a good job, they will tell others. We are surrounded here with long-armers and I just can\'t complain, I stay very busy. Just remember, we wouldn\'t know how to do anything if someone, somewhere along the line hadn\'t taken the time to teach. Keep up the good work Linda. Your help will come back to you in spades.

Archived