Small Quilt from Coloring Class

This is a picture of the small class sample that I completed at quilt college last weekend. You color with colored pencil and then "fix" it with textile medium. Really fun to do if you like to color!! Brought me back to grade school! The class was based on Irena Bluhm\'s book, "Quilts of a Different Color"

2604265430094956607S500x500Q85.jpg

Thanks for looking

Patty Jo

that is just the cutest, and really does look like fun. I have done the coloring with crayons before, but have such a short attention span, that is hard for me to finish the project. Yours turned out so nice, might have to finish mine. Judy

Wow, Patty Jo. I had pre-ordered this book from Amazon but after backordering it several times they cancelled my order. I will have to pick it up if I can ever find it. You did a great job. It seems like you are really having fun with your quilting. Keep it up. Can\'t wait to see you in June. Please bring this so I can ssee it in person.

Nancy

OkeyDokey Nancy - It is definately small enough to take to show and tell! Only 12" square. Another LA\'r in my quilt guild taught the class and she made these blocks using white muslin and Dk green thread for all of us (10 students, I think). I forgot to mention that after the textile medium dries, you heat set it with a dry iron, Quick and fun. I\'m thinking of making a dozen or so to take to my small quilting group that we have at church and see what they can do with them. Maybe a bunch of coasters! hummmmm - that would work!

Oh Patty Jo--that is wonderful! I took a class from Irena at Innovations and we did this same project. My small group from guild will be trying this in early summer as well as a discharge class a la Colleen Wise. My group has several ideas for the finished project--one is making a pillow for her mom and another is going to mount hers shadow-box style with antique sewing tools all around. You did a great job and probably had a wonderful time at Quilt College--when can we (NWLAers) do this?

Hi Linda - maybe this would be fun to do when you all come to my home in Sept? What do all of you NWLAers think? Or do you all have a different idea of something that we could do, We could set up 2 different things to do and split into 2 groups. Whatever you all want.

Nancy Jo--yep, it\'s within sight! I will post the web site address soon. Thanks for asking! Love ya!

I will bring my hand-out from Irena\'s class to the get-together in June for anyone who wants to know the particulars of the coloring. If you are ever able to take a class from Irena--do it. She is a generous, enthusiast cheerleader of an instructor--and she does beautiful work while being modest about her huge talent.

Hi Sheri, Yes, in fact I\'m looking thru some of my patterns trying to find one that would work. Got the book and love some of her ideas, but I want to put my own twist on it. I\'ll post a pic if I do get one made.

Hi Rita - yes, the quilting was done before the class, and then we colored it with colored pencils. Then applied the textile medium. It is a bit time consuming, but it is something that you could do in front of the TV in the evenings. Then when all dry, heat set it with a dry iron. Not only are her quilts beautiful to look at, they remind me of a party about to happen!! Maybe that\'s why I like them. I\'m aways ready for a party!

Hi Heidi - Your ahead of me.....I just bought the book and haven\'t had time to read it yet!! I\'ll have to get some versatex. It doesn\'t really matter on something this small, but if you did a whole bed quilt - yowza, you\'d be ironing for awhile.

Lynn - The colored pencils used were the kind you would find in the school supply section of Wallyworld, or ???? Just inexpensive colored pencils. If you get a box of them, look for one with a large selection of colors so that you have more options to shade with. I tried to shade the flowers but we had a limited color selection, so I had to keep putting more and more layers on the fabric. Also, I found (when I was almost finished) that you get a more intense color if you dip your pencil into water. Somehow that seemed to apply more color. But you don\'t want to get your fabric too wet or it will bleed.

Patty Jo,

I love that look, and the technique sounds so easy. Altho it might be more difficult to quilt after coloring, it strikes me that this could also be a really fun project to do with kids. I\'ve seen stuff where you translate their art into fabric, but this would eliminate that step and use their original stuff! I don\'t have any grandkids, so maybe I\'ll have to rent some . . .

Nancy Jo - I found my book while I was in Spokane at the "Log Cabin Dry Good" quilt shop. You might check there also. By the way, all their books are 20% off!! Tried the LQS here before the class but they didn\'t have it in stock so I\'m glad I found it in Spokane

thanks Julie & Bobbie - Your words are very kind. I think that this would be fun for a kids project. It is quilted before you color it, so all you have to do is try and stay within the lines --- hard for this rule breaker!!

Archived