First Circle Lord Swirls quilt

The twin bed quilt top, for my granddaughter, is pieced. It is called Triple Treat from an Atkinson Design\'s book, Happy Hour. I bought exactly the amount of fabric that the instructions called for, but there was so much left over I was able to piece two baby quilts together, using all the leftovers. The above quilt is the first one finished. My daughter said it is the "shabby chic" look. Humm...I am behind the times with these names.

I also bought the clam shells and the Baptist fan combination boards. A few more things, too, but I haven\'t had a chance to try them yet.

I may not be doing something right when using the swirls because my stylus kept popping out of the groove and wandering all about. I did have to do some frogging on that quilt. What I wound up doing was to "drive" the liberty with my right hand and use my left hand to hold the stylus in the groove.

I wonder if others had the same experience?

Sandra,

I love your quilt! The swirls are great. Please tell me what you think of the Circle Lord. I have been thinking of a purchase. Really like the swirls and was interested in the Fan/Clam as well. Was it difficult to raise the machine? Do you have to raise the machine if you are only using the stylus and big templates(swirls) and not the circle maker?

Thanks,

Carol

Hi Carol,

The swirls is the first and only thing I\'ve used from CL. I love the way this quilt looks, so I know I will use it a lot. I think I\'ll also use the Clam and Baptist fans a lot, but haven\'t tried them yet.

As far as raising the machine, I could not have done it myself, but my son didn\'t seem to have too much trouble. I was there with him and helped hold the carriage and the rollers while he did most of hte work. It took us several hours, although, if you knew what you were doing, it shouldn\'t take nearly that long. Sometimes I feel we are "dumb and dumber." LOL He also raised the height of my table quilte a bit, maybe 6 or 8 inches so now I don\'t need to bend over to sew. It did take a while to get the legs all level, but finally we got it. We did have one problem (misread part of the directions - duh!) and I called Michael on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend and he was so kind and helpful. Can you imagine that kind of customer service??? Overall, I am extremely happy and satisfied with my Circle Lord and I can only imagine I will be even happier after I try the rest of the toys I bought for it.

I think you would still need to raise the table to use these templates, but I\'m not sure. I didn\'t think to see if they fit before we raised things, since I needed to raise the carriage to use the rest of the set-up. I also needed to raise the rollers so I can use my extended base, as before, it bumped into them.

Carol,

I think the swirls are great for the Turning Twenty, Yellow Brick Road, Happy Hour type of quilts. These (in my opinion) are quilts made with pretty fabric, but big, boring blocks, but the swirls quilting pattern just makes them look fabulous.

I am so happy with my baby quilt that I have it hanging over my rails and keep looking at it. Each time I just think, WOW!, I did that. "Doing the happy dance." Luv my Circle Lord swirls!

Sandra,

I\'ve had the stylus pop out of the groove also. I just loop a rubber band over the top of the stylus and down under the the holder. It should be a fairly tight rubber band. Works wonderfully, no more popping out.

Mary & Nora,

Thanks for the suggestions. Michael happened to pick up my question from the post and sent me an e-mail. I responded to him this morning with some measurements - the space between the very bottom of the stylus point to the table top seems to range from 1/8th of an inch to 1/4 of an inch. It is where the gap is 1/4 of an inch that my stylus pops out. My table is not perfectly flat, apparently. Perhaps Michael will post some suggestions here, as well.

Sandy

Hi Sandra,

Love your quilt, love CL swirls! I\'m binding another swirls quilt as we speak! The acrylic on my table is uneven also and I had the same problem with my stylus, even after adding extra strips of non-skid padding in the low spots. Michael suggested whacking the stopper with a hammer to lower its position inside the stylus holder. I tried but couldn\'t get it to budge. Then I enlisted the help of my DH, who\'s handy with a hammer. It helped some but not enough, so I whacked it some more, easier after he got it started. Here\'s a picture of how much mine is lowered (you can now see it sticking out at the bottom of the holder). That did the trick! I still hold the stylus with my left hand, just because it seems more natural to do so.

post--13461899743636_thumb.jpg

Sandra,

You are so right! Swirls add the extra something to Yellow Brick Road, Turning 20 etc. I have a few of those waiting for quilting. I\'m pretty sure I have talked myself into making a purchase! Can\'t blame you for oogling your quilt. I love it too!

Carol

I just send Michael some pictures to help him diagnose the issue. I\'ll keep you up-to-date. I\'m guessing that in the worst case scenario...I would have to hold my left hand on the stylus to keep it from hopping out of the grooves. I can live with that, as a few others are doing, it seems. It is not a big deal. But, Michael may have a better suggestion.

Sandra,

I just laid my templates for the Swirls on the table. It looks like my machine head is NOT going to clear and we will have to lift it. But I don\'t think I have any of the hardware necessary to do that. Ah well, will just have to be patient. I also have an email out to Michael on that.

Archived