NQR-My New "Baby" Max

This is what I\'ve been doing every 3 hours for the last month! Max is a 1/2 Draft foal, Belgian & Quarter Horse, he will be a big boy! His mother died from birthing complications. He is my daughter\'s baby, but he needed regular feeding and since I\'m home, well you know the rest! He\'s sure a cute little character. He didn\'t like the camera! Foals are ornery little creatures at best but he really wanted to "get" me with than funny looking thing pointing at him. I grew up a horse, been around them all through my childhood. I\'ve never had one, can\'t afford them. It\'s nice to be back with a horse, I guess I\'ve missed one! Backyard foals can be a real PITA but I\'ve been pretty strict with him, he tries to bite but I won\'t allow it, I use the make him behave like a mother would theory and so far, so good. He\'s pretty well mannered, leads and is easy to handle. Like all foals, he\'s high spirited. I plan to take him on some long walks now that I have those quilts completed! The exercise will use some of that energy! Just wanted to share my little boy!

post--1346189974855_thumb.jpg

What a sweet baby! How many hands do you expect him to be? I had horses growing up as a kid, loved every minute of it, but to expensive, too much work, plus I live in the city now. Maybe someday I\'ll let husband move back to the boonies (Roseburg, OR), and I\'ll get a horse to deliver customer quilts with.

Beth

His mamma was about 17 hands, since his daddy was a Quarter Horse and smaller, 15 hands, we\'re not sure what to expect. He definitely has the Draft Horse body type and coat, the wavy hair and heavy hair. His skin, nose and ears are really "beefy" and thick. He\'s very different than my 1/2 Arab that I grew up with. He\'s a determined little guy, he didn\'t have anything to eat but grass for his 1st 2 weeks, yes, he started eating on his own when he was that little. My "kid" couldn\'t get him to take a bottle, but I remembered a story my Dad told of a colt they raised by feeding it from a pan, and he took right to that! Boy Howdy! He drinks 1/2 gallon of Formula every 3 hours. I haven\'t put on a photo before now because of time and he was so thin and pathetic. Now he\'s getting round and husky like he should be, his neck is still a little thin, but he\'s growing so fast! He\'s the joy in my life, next to quilting!

I love your baby. He is darling. Yes little boys (foals) can be very head strong. Ours has grown up but still thinks he is a pet. He comes into the barn and pulls things off the shelves if you are not paying attention to him.

You have your work cut out for you with the 3 hour feedings. Keep us up to date on how things are going. I have 3 horses and love little ones and grown ones.

He is adorable!! My "baby" is 9 mos old now, but she still looks like a baby! She\'s mostly Arab and we lost her mom when she was only 2 1/2 mos old. I tried the bottle route with her, too, but that didn\'t work! Ended up putting milk replacer in a pan with hot water and she loved it!!

My mare waited for us the morning she foaled and had her 5 minutes after we got to the barn. We spent the whole day with mom and baby in the stall and then I stayed home for the next 4 days just enjoying watching them together.

Enjoy your boy...they grow so fast!

This was Elly\'s baby when she was a day old. They\'re so ugly, they\'re cute!! At least at that stage. Mom\'s name was Lady Elysees and Dad is Galustrus Knight. Baby\'s registered name is Elly\'s Knightmare--but we call her Emma Peanut.

(Hopefully this photo will be a bit bigger and still show up.)

post--13461899749057_thumb.jpg

I just love baby pictures . . . their little faces are so innocent and sweet. Max is enduring the pouring rain today, no big warm Mamma to cuddle with, so he has a little blue coat, well, not so little, but by horse standards it\'s little. It is just pouring here, hope we don\'t float away! Mud is not nice! Thanks for sharing your pictures, Dorie. A person sure gets fond of their animals, even when they\'re nippy little nibblers . . . nibble, nibble, nibble, CHOMP! He tries, but so far he hasn\'t had the satisfaction of a connected bite. The colt I grew up with was a biter and I don\'t want Max to get that naughty, as a 9 year old I couldn\'t do much with any authority but now, Max knows he isn\'t supposed to bite, so he nibbles, that little lip is like his hand, he explores the world with it, if you are "horsey" you know what I mean.

Emma is so much prettier now that she\'s older--she\'s lost that mulish look.

She was quite the nibbler too, but I could usually distract her with a good scratch somewhere or a flick to the nose if she got too rambunctious. She used to rear up and walk on her back feet, swinging her front legs at us too. That was always interesting...NOT:P Then she did it one time at my DH while he was outside her corral. She hit the fence, fell over, gave him the dirtiest look...and hasn\'t done it since. Guess she didn\'t like being knocked over!!

Too bad about your rain. That\'s always so hard on them--especially if its cold rain. Emma got hot water to drink all throughout our really cold, snowy winter and she loved it. She couldn\'t wait for us to quit pouring it out before she had her head in the bucket drinking.

Bonnie, the best thing about Emma\'s star is that its almost identical to her mom\'s. :)

Dixie...my DH used to have draft horses and he used them for logging. We have some great pictures of them in action.

Archived