Singer 201-2

Speaking of old sewing machines. Sew Happy...you didn\'t say what machine you purchased....but I have a chance to buy a Singer 201-2 in an original cabinet for $50.

Do any of you have this machine or know anything about it? I have searched and found the Singer 201, but when it refers to the 201-2 it all goes back to the 201. Maybe they are the same. If so, the info says the 201 was considered the best machine ever made by the Singer company....is that just a sales pitch to get me;)

Ok- I got out the manual and it says;

"Instructions For Using

SINGER

ELECTRIC SEWING MACHINE

15-90

Reversible Feed

Oscillating Shuttle, For Family Use"

Again I have sooooooo much trouble posting pics but I will have DH try tonite It is so very PRETTY!!

Sewhappy

Hi Mary Beth,

I have my grandmother\'s 201-2 and I absolutely love piecing on it. It is like a large featherweight. It has perfectly straight stitching.

I would say that $50 is a steal. They are very easy to maintain and take care of yourself. Just like the featherweight.

Take care......Lani;)

Good for you Mary Beth. Can hardly wait to see a picture. As I look at the one above I realize my mom had one that we gave to my middle daughter who left in New MExico because she couldn\'t find anyone to help her thread it. Good grief.

Mary Beth,

I posted a note about the 201 they are vertualy the same as the 201 2. I have a 201 purchased in the 60\'s used in a desk. Still have the joy of this machine as it is all steel.

Geared with steel no belts. It is quiet as a sleeping baby when oiled and maintained.

Love this machine I still use it, though I have a Pfaff for the fancy stuff. Cannot beat the 201 for reliabilty. It is the big sister to the featherweight. My Mom sold them from the mid 50\'s through the late 60\'s. You have a real jewel. Also there is another relative to these two the 99K a small version of the 201 although it has a belt. Still a great machine.

Ginny

Mary Beth;

In it\'s day the 201 was the top of the line Singer. I have a 201-3 and it is a sweet machine to use. Here is a breakdown of the 201 designations. Singer produced at least four different versions of the 201:

201-1 - Treadle version

201-2 - Potted motor and gear-driven

201-3 - External motor and belt-driven

201-4 - Hand-crank (original factory, not later conversion)

When you get it do a search for Singer dating and you can find out what year it was made. Don\'t forget to join the yahoo group vintagesingers.

Nigel

It\'s my lucky day!!

I found a 99K at a thrift store...it had rust on it so it\'s still there...I thought I had hit the jackpot with that one too. I still have my eye out for a 99K and a 301....but I want \'em cheap!! I\'ll find \'em. What the heck am I doing...I don\'t even collect machines....or do I????

Check the blue medallion on the front. Does it say 1851-1951? Looks like a feather weight that I paid $50.00 for and was happy to do so. It was an anniversary model and hard to come by. Like Bonnie, I would buy it just for the history angle. They have a serial number underneath I believe. Call the 800 number listed in the book about feather weight sewing machines by Johnson sand Sebro? and they will tell you when the "baby was born".

I just got a 301 longbed last week. It sews a beautiful stitch and is in good shape for its age. I wanted it to go with my 221. Somebody asked me why I bought so many sewing machines, my answer is "Because I can." I spent alot of years feeling that we couldn\'t afford "toys" for me. Gosh, isn\'t it fun to be in your second childhood!:cool: I love it!!

About 20 years ago I previewed a local auction and saw a cute little featherweight and knew I wanted it, but I had to idea at that time what they were worth. I thought the wise thing to do would be to consult a Singer dealer for advice. He asked me where I had seen it and I told him at an auction. He said I shouldn\'t go higher than $60.00. So I went to the auction, stopped at $60 and come to find out that SOB dealer bought my Featherweight. I WAS SO DUMB THAT I TOLD HIM IT WAS AT THE AUCTION.

I\'ll never get over that.

I paid $250.00 for my little Featherweight 15 years ago. Grab it now!

If you are looking for something in particular, let me know.

We have had some great luck finding some old machines for little to nothing.

Started out looking for a few to decorate the new shop.

Came accross two at an auction. $ 2o.oo each.

Then started finding them at the thrift stores. Seems like a lot of people are just dumping these "Old Machines".

I\'m don\'t know too much about them, but truly admire the workmaship that goes into them.

Have several now. Some in table, some freestanding.

We have even had people stopping in and asking if we were interested in just taking them off their hands.

I\'ll check and see what I have.

You never know.

Laura

Archived