Velvet on the back???

I have a question for anyone that may know about this. I've just had a phone call from a potential customer wanting to have me put backs on 2 small quilts that were made out of men's ties and then quilt them. The outside border on these 2 tops is black velvet and she wants black velvet for the back as well. Can this be done? Now my parents used to puit a little black velvet in a glass of water to sip, but to put on the back of a quilt? What do y'all think? She said if not black velvet, then maybe red satin? She is going to mail them to me and then we will get together on the phone and discuss what I think about it. But, I'm not sure what to think until I check with you all. Comments & suggestions please.......:cool:

Hay PattyJo

I have done quilts with velvet on the top and back.... it is just like quilting flannel and the stitch on the back just sinks right in and looks great.... be sure to change to a new sharp needle before you start the quilt and all will turn out wonderfully... this is Sue Patten not Jon Vorich LOL not sure whats up with his name showing up when I sign on... maybe head office likes him more then me LOL:cool:

I've never used velvet or satin. I would think the satin would be very slippery. The stitches may not lay very flat on the velvet. Take a piece of velvet and try it out to the side of a quilt you're working on (just on the backing and batting), like you're testing out the tension and see how the stitches look. If I had to choose, I would pick the velvet. I tend to be adventurous, so I would give it a try.

Will these be wallhangings? So she doesn't need to worry about washing anything? Velvet doesn't wash all that well.

Will she use batting? The velvet may be a little heavy. You'll need to quilt enough to not let the velvet drag down.

Sorry to not be much more help... Good luck!

Julia

Patty,

My first attempt with quilting on velvet was fun. I used it on my Claudia's fabric challenge quilt. I doubled up my Hobbs batting and used a really thick variegated thread, but a lot of the thread sunk in, but the quilting was very pronounced.

Ramona Quilter (Linda) gave me the idea to name this "Peacocks with Attitude!" :cool:

post--13461900003027_thumb.jpg

The only concern I have is this going to be a washable Velvet or a dryclean only velvet....I would think the washable would be better to mix with washable cottons or washable fabrics, but if the ties are all silk and need to be drycleaned then maybe the dryclean velvet would be better.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a long winded manner is not to mix your mediums....I would stick with one or the other.

Would it help stabilize the quilts (for wall hanging) if you used a backing of velveteen instead of velvet? Same texture but nowhere near as much stretch.

I bought a vintage crazy quilt top at a flea market awhile back and have been reluctant to quilt it. Please do post pics and share any tips once you've completed these. Nancy

I haven't seen these quilts yet, just heard about them on the phone. She said that one is about the size of a card table (maybe 45 x 45 or so) and the other is a bit smaller. So these would both be wall hangings, but I'm not sure if she wants to use them as a table cover/runner type thing or to always have them hanging on the wall. Good questions. I think that with the Silk ties in them, I should use the dry clean Black Velvet .

Shana, I love your "peacock with attitude". Great way to show off Claudia's beautiful fabrics and your beautiful quilting.

And thanks Sue P for the tips. By the way, did you know that I'm going to be one of your teachers helpers @ Innovations? I'm looking forward to it, and I hope you do too!! :D:cool::P

And Sandra - my mom pass away 11 yrs ago, and I still have the bottle of Black Velvet that she was working on! I've used a bit of it for some Whisky Honey Bar-B-Q sauce. That's the only way that I like that stuff!!:)

Barbara, that's beautiful. I'll be sure and mention the differences between satin and velvet to my customer. I think how she will be using these 2 quilts will determine which direction she will go in. Either way, I'm betting that these will be beautiful quilts that she has. She said that she has had these 2 tops for a very long time, and is now ready to get the backed and quilted. Thank you all for your suggestions, ideas and the pictures make it so much easier to see the difference between the velvet & satin. I'm, thinking that a poly batt would be better than cotton. Any thoughts on this, am I on the right track here?

I would agree with the poly bat - something like Hobbs Polydown. As Shana suggests this could be doubled if doing lots of detail. It will be quite pouffy and the thread does sink right in - King Tut did not want to know so I used Bottom Line and the texture was great so not a fabric for a flat project!

Love Shana's peacocks - we have some feral ones near here... I'd like a pet one but my husband would not like to find it perched on his Golf GTi!!

LINZI x

thanks Linzi, I'm glad that you agree so I'll plan on poly. My customer used to live here and she has since retired to Palm Springs but was back up here visiting and found out from a common friend that I am quilting, so you never know how your customers find you! Good word of mouth advertising! Thanks everyone for the tips.

OK, I'm bringing this back up to the top as I have been told by 3 local LA'rs to not try and do this. Shana & Sue P. and probably others out there, you say that I can do this. Now, I'm not sure - they think that I don't need this kind of frustration right now. I guess, I'm second guessing my talents & I'm not sure if they are trying to do me a favor, protecting me, or just what. What do you think. Can I really do this??

Quilters' Dream makes a very nice black ploy batt, called "midnight dream" I think; I would use that. I have never actually quilted velvet, but quilt on flannel all the time, so if it is similar in texture I don't know what you're worried about.

Patty Jo, any chance you'll share that whiskey-honey BBQ sauce? I live next door to a honey farm, always looking for new ways to use their product.

I did once live next to a peacock breeder, & do NOT recommend owning them, Linzi, they shriek at the top of their lungs 24/7; worse than chickens.

Patty Jo,

You are never going to know until you try on a practice piece!;)

If everything is squared up & not rolled to tight, you'll be just fine.

I have used velvet, satin, silk dupioni & even some car upholstery!

I like to try new things & I am not afraid to try, I think you will be pleasantly surprised!:cool: Please share pictures when you can.;)

OK Catherine & Linda - I'm going to go for it. A good challenge for me to give it a go. I'll put the words of "can't do" that I heard yesterday out of my mind and just keep saying - yes I can, yes I can........pictures when I'm done. Thanks

Archived