uneven stitches

My third quilt - it is finished and I was looking at the back and noticed that occasionally there will be a few uneven stitches - tension is poor for just a few stitches - seems to be pulling to the back. Included a picture so you can see. It will only be for just a very few stitches up to about 10 stitches. It is not enough to say the quilt is bad, but I would really like to know what causes this so I can avoid this in the future. Could I be jerking my speed??

Thanks,

Meg

I think your top tension is too loose. Give that top knob a good turn 1/2 way or once all around.

Also, is your quilt sandwich pulled too tight on the frame? Try loosening all three layers so it sags slightly. Quilt on frame should be not too tight, but not too loose. Almost like a little hammock.

Shana,

I know the tension is ok cuz these uneven stitches are very occasional and then for only a few stitches. When looking at the top, the top tension might be just a bit tight but wanted that to make sure I did not have pokies on the back. The gold thread would have shown up too much. As you can see if you look carefully, all but about 10 stitches are correct and who know why those occurred in the middle of so many good stitches. My sandwich might be a bit snug - will check that out - but again, wouldn't the stitches be off everywhere and not just this occasional occurrence? Thanks for the input - any more ideas??

Meg

This is fun.... I have finally added my webshots URL - the one above goes to my latest quilt... really wanted one to my albums so have changed and hope it is right. Glad I had to respond to you Shana. Will see if I have done it right this time. This picture and computer stuff takes forever to figure out....

Meg

I think my clock (in my needle) is wrong too. I check mine by putting a pin in the needle eye from the front and it points to 11:55 ish. Boy now I'm confused. :o:o:o So I think that it would be 6:25 ish? Maybe I've got mine all wrong. Maybe that just says that our machines can stitch as long as we are close?

Thanks - I have been going the other way - the flower head end is pointing between 6:25 & 6:30. Will readjust and see what happens. Have to put something on first - just finished my 3rd quilt last night - it is the Asian Pinwheel on my webshots. This was a lot of work & time (I am sure it took me lots more time than normal because I am still so new) - CL, SID/Ruler, and freehand. It is the same one that I noticed the stitches on the back. I can't believe how much I have accomplished in 4 weeks of ownership - need lots & lots of improvement, but at least I can see my improvement:) Wasn't going to post until I finished the binding.

You could also check your timing. Take the needle plate off and get your manual out and compare where your needle eye is when the needle is all the way down to the picture in the manual. If it doesn't match you may need to adjust the timing. It could be just a little off so sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Good luck!

Julia

Meg, I don't think it's your timing. I've had my Mille for almost 5 years and nev er had to retime--even when I've hit the occasional pin or ruler. It doesn't go out of timing too easily.

Shanna could be right about the top tension or maybe there is a bit of lint or fuzz getting in the bobbin case and making it wonky for a few stitches. I've also had little loops appear on the back of my quilt randomly and so I thought it wasn't tension or it would be every stitch. I was wrong and Amy at the factory had to convinve me by 'gently' urging me to adjust it. Guess what---she was right!!!

So moral to the story, try the tension thing or call Amy and have her talk you through some things. Best of luck!!!

Meg,

I had this happen before and it was the spring in the bobbin case that needed a minor adjustment. No problems now. You might want to try a different bobbin case to see if you still have the same problem. At least it would narrow it down. The other thing I would check is to make sure my thread on top isn't getting caught up on something.

I was going to say the same thing, Heidi! If you have random bad stitches in a group, you probably have a hang-up somewhere that catches and then lets loose. Maybe a tiny piece of lint in the bobbin case under the finger, or something is momentarily catching your top thread. Check the thread path, put on a thread net to control spooling-off of the thread, and try some Sewer's Aid to calm things down in case your needle is getting hot. Just a thought.

Thanks for all the suggestions - will work through the list. Will do the timing last since I am still afraid of it. I have to admit that it is not horrid and I had to look for something to take a picture of ..... but I am horrid and want as perfect as I can get and tension was one of the reasons I bought my Millie........... picture Tony the Tiger............G-R-E-A-T!!!!

There is so much to learn......... one step at a time.

Meg I was checking out your Asian quilt and wowee, baby, that thing is so nice! Great job!

Question: the little thingies you quilted inside -- These all look freehand to me. But did you stop and start for each one of those things? Lots of work but looks really really nice!

Grab that long arm of yours and pat yourself on the back with it. ;)

Shana,

Thanks for the compliments - I have another Asian to do that pairs with this one, but am afraid to start it yet.

Yes, each one of the little thingies is individually done. Did not bury the threads for this one - a bit of backstitching - didn't think it would show too much since I was already going over the stitching in the start and stop locations. Will have to graduate to burying the threads later. The quilt was a lot to take on for only my 3rd one. Took me 2 full afternoons - probably why I am taking a break today and just getting other stuff like laundry done and putting the binding on this quilt. A lot of starts and stops on the CL too - I was crazy enough to fit the CL within the sashing instead of E2E - took lots of time and care - isn't perfect but I think for the first time with my CL it was OK.

I have been looking at your stuff since April when I ordered my baby and am so envious of so many of you who do such fabulous work. Have loved some of yours - and your recent ribbon - wow and great!! I have been on overload the last 4 weeks since my baby arrived and am afraid the rest of my life is on hold. I just want to learn so much and improve so fast - compare it to learning golf - crazy as that might sound: time and lots of practice.

thanks again.........:)

If you are using the SR, you might check the wheels and make sure they are making good contact with the tracks, too. I think when I had this prob. though, Amy at APQS had us change the bobbin case.. and later we did pull the wings out on the spring inside the bobbin case.. the blue thingie.. the other we accidentally found. the contact of the wheels that is. If I remember though.. lol, with more thought.. it was both the top and bottom tension that was sittiching badly so they were fighting each other. She had us set the bobbin first then adjust the top thread to stitch well.. (I do actually have a memory, occasionally. LOL )

Congratulations on the baby too, hope all of you thrive and prosper.. And I was born and raised at Kent.. up close to the Benson Highway.. don't know what they call it now.. goes past Panter Lake Elementary School, and followed long enough, down into Renton at the Y.

RitaR

Archived