Yurt bunting (yurt = tent; bunting = flags!)

I don't think that Linzi made the yurt. I thing she made the bunting (flags) for the yurt. Is that right Linzi?

Some of these yurts get quite large, like 20 feet across with fancy doors and even windows and domes.

I have to say that when I visited Scotland, I did not see any yurts. But I also didn't see the Loch Ness monster even though we camped quite close to the loch. We slept in a tent; I bet that yurt would have been more comfortable:D:D:P

Oh great. DH walked by and saw the *tent*. DH is active duty Army currently assigned to the Pentagon. Now I'm hearing, 'THAT quilter can make a tent, and you won't sew patches on my uniforms?' Thank heavens his uniforms are the *new* style and I know he's kidding. (sort of...) lol :P

Off to load...

Lisa

Lisa,

I hated sewing chevrons on my hubby's uniforms. When he made Sgt. I told him he could now afford to take them to the tailor to have them done I had better things to do with my time. Then he became and officer and no more chevrons! The only thing that had to be put on was his name tags on his cammies. I know when hubby had inspections I would worry the whole time because they would take out a ruler to make sure they were in the exact spot! He never failed but still I didn't want it to be my fault! He is retired for 6 years now and I'm still trying to convince him to empty the closet of his uniforms...all of them are in one of our bedroom closets!!!!! Yup all of them! He is now finally "thinking" about it.

Heidi, let him keep one class A, a cami and a semidress if they have them, one pair of shoes..

There have been several times, himself has wished he had a set for one reason or another. ROFL.. that is.. IF he can still fit into them.

That also may get him to do it sooner.. Himself retired in 1978, so 30 years ago.

RitaR

Crack me up!! Dh will be dropping his retirement paperwork in 21 days. Then he'll have a year to wait. Our son (15) has taken a few of DH's uniforms (old style) for Paint ball. I know Ray can fit in his uniforms, but his Tux shirt is too tight at the neck. He swears he won't need the tux after retirement and flat out refuses to spend any more money on it. Maybe I can put all the uniform money towards the Quilt studio now???? Hmmm....... ha I might have to make a Yurt if I had the Quilt Studio delivered before a family discussion... Maybe Linzi will let me go up there to live? Loved touring Scotland. It wouldn't really be a hardship for me. :)

Cleaned out thread area, now REALLY going to finish loading.

Lisa ;)

My goodness at the number of military families in this forum. We are also. My Mike retired active duty army (1st Sgt.) a few years back and is now a government contractor with the military in the same school where he was active duty. The military has been good to us. We haven't had the problems with the insurance others have mentioned. A funny story: Military families live all over the world. When the "dream sheet" came out in '83 he put Hattiesburg (Camp Shelby, MS) as first and Germany as 2nd. Nobody ever gets their first choice but we did. We never moved!! We lived here the rest of his career! Hats off to all the military ladies and gents in this forum!!!

Originally posted by RitaR

Heidi, let him keep one class A, a cami and a semidress if they have them, one pair of shoes..

There have been several times, himself has wished he had a set for one reason or another. ROFL.. that is.. IF he can still fit into them.

That also may get him to do it sooner.. Himself retired in 1978, so 30 years ago.

RitaR

Rita,

I don't dare touch one of them! Everytime he grumbles about not having space in our shared walk-in I remind him that there is another closet but it full!!!! I told him to keep his dress uniforms and maybe one set of cammies if he really wants them. I even told him to pack up the others for a future grandson...our son used to love to wear cammies and play in the woods...but 6 years later they are all still hanging! Drives me crazy but I like my sewing room and he might decide to do some cleaning there instead!!!!

I think he can still get into them, although they may be tight.

Good grief - I cannot claim to have made the yurt... a nice hippy made it for me!

It's 15 feet across, made of heavy duty canvas around a trellis structure. It will eventually have a wood burning pot belly stove so will be really cosy. I have a sofa bed in it but lots of people could crash down there if it was empty. It was supposed to be for the children...

We slept out on Saturday night and the rain was very noisy but it didn't leak!

It is fab with lots of candles, fairy lights and rugs. I still have some "decorating" to do - it's easier to play out there than do any actual painting and decorating in the real house.:D

Linzi, you are a woman after my own heart. LOVE the decor!! Where in Scotland are you?

We've been stationed all over. Right now, we're in Northern VA, outside DC. Our last duty station was Hythe, Hampshire, England for two years. Great fun. We've also had a few dream sheet assignments. Thankfully, APQS machines MOVE wonderfully. I didn't have any issues taking my Millie to England and back. She started up and ran perfectly!!

Still love the Yurt. :D Lisa

Lizi, I love the yurt. I would love to visit Scotland! I tried several times to get stationed on the Navy submarine base (Holyloch, excuse the spelling) before they closed it. No luck, everyone else in the Navy wanted to be stationed their.

Since me and my husband was in the Navy, I had double sewing duty. We're both 5FT tall so hemming was a chore. I couldn't wait to make Chief (E-7) then Officer, no more chevrons!!! My husband retired many years ago and I've gotten rid of everything except his dress uniforms. It's kind of weird, because we know why we have them (burial). I retired last year and just got up the courage to start giving mine to the " Navy Lucky Bag (resale thrift shop)." I have a lot of uniforms because the Navy can't decide on what they want and changes everything every few years. Now my next decision do I want to be buried in my dress uniform or my formal dress uniform. Due to what I paid for them, maybe I'll do both!!

Linzi that is so cool looking. Is the canvas treated so it won't leak? I just love it!

Connie - LOL maybe I'll make the suggestion to hubby to wear both! You are right they are so pricey! It took us 2 years to pay off new uniforms when hubby transitioned from enlisted to Warrent Officer. He was very unhappy with me when I told him I like the Enlisted Dress Blues better than the Officers Dress uniform! LOL. I did get rid of 5 buttons the other day! I was making a duvet cover for a friend, cammie fabric, and the green buttons on the cammies were the perfect solution. He actually pulled them off for me...we're making progress.:P:P:P:P

Archived