Quilter's Dream Puff

I have a quilt coming in this week that is a present for a high school graduate. It seems his parents didn't get him anything for his graduation so his girlfriend made him a quilt and her mom is bringing it to me to quilt. They were interested in using a puffy batting. On hand I have a prepackaged roll of QD Puff I was going to try on one of my own quilts to see what I thought of the batting but I will be using it on their quilt instead.

Can anyone tell me if this batting beards after time? And does it quilt up nice and puffy? The quilt will be flannel backed regular 100% cotton pieced front, and is a fishing theme so I'm probably going to do water effects with swirls.

On another note, I got all caught up with my quilting this weekend, thinking I would finish working on piecing a quilt for me to have fun with on the longarm, and then I got FOUR more quilts for hire in an hour this morning. I'm thinking this is really cutting in on my "me time!!" LOL Kinda good, kinda bad. Oh well. I just wanted to have some fun working on my own project this week. Sorry for the pout! I figured some of you could relate. All work and no play ...

Guest Linda S

I've never had any issues with Dream Puff, but you never know with flannel. If the weave of the fabric is very loose and your needle isn't very sharp, you could get some bearding. I would expect not, but you can't guarantee it.

Originally posted by Anniespoon

Do you need to adjust the hopping foot to allow for the extra loft?

Dream puff doesn't have an over high loft so no need to raise the hopping foot. I have quilted with two layers of Dream Puff without having to raise the hopping foot. But it was on a satin wholecloth quilt so there was no drag.

I also love Dream Puff and have never had any issues with it. Last fall I made a flannel quilt for our church raffle and used DP and it turned out beautiful. It was a fishing theme that I made using the Take 5 pattern. I got so many compliments from a lot of the men at my church and they all wanted to win that quilt. :) An avid fisherman from our church won it and his wife told me that he just loves it.

Quilts with DP wash up beautifully too. The quilting designs really show up great. I bet you're going to love it when you see how it turns out. I don't raise my hopping foot at all when I use it.

Have fun with it and be sure and post pictures when you have it done! :D

Archived