Fabric advance not working right

I have two machines, a Millie with a hand advance and a Freedom with an Auto Advance. I have only had the Freedom a couple of months. I currently HATE the auto advance and I hope you can tell me what to do to make it actually work correctly.

The problem is that the felt, or whatever it is glued to the under side of the white clamp keeps coming off, getting the roller all gooey and then not working. The first time it happened I took it apart, cleaned everything, put it back together and then watched it closely but...it still happened again. The second time I took it apart and showed my handy man husband. He taped it with something that would "hold anything", put it all back together and...it happened again.

Now I'm about to pull my hair out. How do you keep that felt from coming off the clamp? I have tried loosening the clamp more but that didn't help. I don't like the clamp so loose that the rollers move when I'm quilting.

Mindy

I didn't know it was the loop side of Velcro, I think I have some.  I did clean it good, used Goo gone and then alcohol.  I always loosen the clamp when I advance or reverse the quilt.  It is only happening on the top clamp on the quilt top side.  The bottom clamp is fine and the top clamp lower portion on the backing bar is fine.  Is it normal for the clamps to sort of twist cattywompas when you advance the quilt?  I am trying to sort of hold them straight because if I don't then they get sort of torqued.  If that is normal then I won't worry about it.  The were also sort of sliding close and smooshing up against my canvas leaders.  I thought that may be causing the Velcro to come off so I make sure they don't touch the canvas anytime I roll the bar.

Mindy:  I don't have an auto advance so my advise is a bit uninformed, but I do have pressure clamps I fabricated to replace the cog system on my table.  When I first built them, I used Velcro hook as a "brake".  That didn't hold that well, so I replaced it with some non-slip material made to put on steps or bath tubs.  It is self stick and sticks well.  BTW, if the alcohol doesn't remove all the goo, try lacquer thinner.  Be careful with it because it may remove the paint as well.

Again, I have no first hand knowledge, but the alignment of the clamps sounds like they're mounted too loosley.  See if you can tighten them up.  Good luck.  jim

I have the wooden version clamp on my 2008 machine. One of the first things I had to do is replace the Velcro because it bunched up on one side and the glue was getting on my roller. I found extra strong adhesive wide Velcro at the hardware store and it (loop side) worked great. Have also seen it at Jo Ann's. I just consider replacing this from time to time part of my maintenance.

Totally loosening the clamp before advancing helps to keep it nice, which was part of the learning curve for me.

Archived