401 vs. 301 singer--pictures added of 401a

singer 401a

I just purchased a 401 singer in a beautiful cabinet with several drawers down each side. I got a really good deal. I was looking for a 301 but found this one at an auction and couldn't resist. I am wondering how the two machines compare. Will this 401 really sew heavy materials (like hemming jeans.....which I hate to do)? It only has 1 problem that I can see. The little rubber belt that goes around the bobbin winder is shot. My husband put an o ring on it and it will wind a bobbin half way and stop. I need to find that part. I sewed on it this afternoon and she worked like a charm. (1958 model)

Sharon

Sharon

I suggest you join the yahoo group vintagesingers and you will find lots of information on looking after your 401. It's a lot like this group we have here except they won't let you stray off topic. Also you could contact Cindy Peters from Stitches in Time 651-764-1298, she specializes in parts for vintage sewing machines and is a regular contributor to the vintage singer site. Common bobbin tires from her are about 35 cents each plus postage. I have no affiliation with Cindy's company other than I am a happy customer and don't mind spreading the word.

Nigel

Have a Singer 401A which I purchased new over 50 years ago. It has never had a repair and still use it. Mine will sew jeans, but it is slow work getting over the seams on hems. It has been a wonderful machine and sews a straight seam better than my Bernina. It is in a cabinet with drawers, which when closed appears to be a desk. It has discs to do some of the fancy stitches. I also have a ruffler, buttonhole maker and some other gadgets which I haven't used in 30 years. But I still sew on this machine. Have fun!!!

Marilyn

i have my great grandmothers 401a i use it all the time.. in fact i quilted on it till just two years ago.. free motion and walking foot and everything.. my local singer shop still can get parts and he just loves to get them in and talk shop with you.. i can't up there unless i have time for a cup of bad coffee and a great old story

as far as the bobbin winding id just do it on your other machine till you can get the part..

my sister has the 301.. she will piece on it still but never was happy w/ the walking foot or the free motion foot on it

i don't do much with denim but i do use it all the time to sew patches on karate uniforms and she just plugs right through the 14oz canvas and the patch w/ all the stitching around the edge np.. i just do a mini zigzag right through all the bulk.

you should be very happy. i don't have a table for mine, nor do i want it.. but i did order online original manuals and i even found the tech manuals they had on file at the sewing machine repair shops

gotta love instructions that start out saying first thing you want to do is clean the machine, remove the electric light bulb and soak the machine overnight in a vat of degreaser......

Sharon,

The rubber part for the bobbin winder is still available at JoAnn Fabrics. it comes in a pack with both belts. If you don't find it I have one I'll send you.

The 301 dose not do zig-zag. It is a straight stich machine. The 401A is nicknamed the Dress Maker. My mother still uses hers she bought in 1956. She paid $450. for it then. It is the easest machine to take care of. If you don't like it check out the prices they are getting on ebay.

Hi Sharon.

I have a 401A and think it is a great machine. I made many heavy items on it and it worked like a champ. It is a strong mechanical machine. I think it is indestructable! I got it at a church sale. It was completely seized up. Nothing turned but I knew it was a good machine. My MIL bought one new in the 50's, which I used many times. It had many "advanced" features you do not always find on new machines today. This one must have been in storage for years. The previous owner kept notes on when it was serviced and kept her needles in folded wax paper!

I brought it home, removed the old, dried-on grease and oil. Cleaned it and re-lubed it and it has served me well for years.

Keep it oiled and you'll have many years of use from it. Parts are still available...but they really do not break!!

Have fun:).

Lisa

APQS Liberty

NW New Jersey

OK, I confess I own several 401's The basic, the rocketeer, the 401A they are amazing machines. Yes they will sew heavy stuff just go slow over the seam of the jeans when hemming. I own many machine and it is hard to pass up the good ones.

My husband hass quit asking "what are you going to do with that machine?"

Melora

Okay, now that we are confessing. I turned down a 401 and wish that I had not...:(

I do have a 201-2 Love it!! It's my favorite machine in the world...ready to sell my Janome Master Craft 4800 :)

I also have a 99k in a cabinet, and a 185J in a cabinet. The 185J is pretty awesome too. Made in Canada....man can it sew. It is a 3/4 size head like the 99k, only seems to sew smoother.

At this point I need to say....My name is Mary Beth, and I am a Singer addict!!:D

Actually, you can do zig-zag with the 301, just like you can with the featherweight. The zig-zag attachment grabs the fabric and wiggles it back and forth as it feeds through the machine :P

I think it's hilarious, but Marge assures me that back in the day, when your machine didn't have the 'new-fangled' zig-zag, it was pretty cool.

When I started putting my first quilt together, Margie was a little reluctant to let me use her Bernina, or her featherweight, so I started shopping for my own machine. I ended up with a 301. I'd rather use it than anything in the house. We've accumulated a couple of featherweights and three 301's since then, but no 401's yet. It sounds like I need to search ebay!

mrmargie

Archived