Newbie Tip

I wish I had thought of this but I didn't .. it's a tip someone gave me when I first started. I was working with another longarmer last night (Hi Nancy!) and this came up. I've shared it here before but will do so again because I think it's just the best advice I was ever given.

For anyone having a hard time getting yourself going . . getting started with the machine each day, I hope this tip helps you.

Tip: Figure out how much time you can realistically commit to your machine each day. For some, that will be 10 minutes a day, for others it may be 1 hour . . whatever works for you. Every day, work on your machine for whatever amount of time you have committed. Most everyone, including myself, finds that once you get started on the machine, you don't want to stop. Why is it so hard to get started?

Judy-

I know when I first began I had this "voice" that told me I was crazy! I was not good enough to do this! I had to get past this self doubt & then I was fine-same thing happened when I started my patterns! Why is it so much easier to accept criticism (even our own) than to accept the positive and the praise? Newbies-You are good enough to so this!! keep telling yourselves that!

One of the reasons I don't get started often is the need to "transfer/clean" the stuff of the table to the other need to be clear area! So my starts are more at the have-to deadline timing. My goal this fall is to keep taking the next in line project and get it done and out. Then I might have a chance to do others.

I do like the 10 minutes or more dedicated time tip. Thanks. That will be on my new schedule!

We are, almost all of us, wives, mothers and co-workers, we are required to multi-task every day. Once I start quilting, I know I won't want to quit, so I delay the start to finish the things that can't or shouldn't wait.

Sometimes I feel selfish quilting because I like it so much.

I finally did some housework today after spending three days with my Millie--was starting to feel guilty! I am a real newbie and yesterday I finished my first "real" quilt. It was a small one belonging to my expert quilter Aunt and it's not perfect but it didn't turn out too badly either! I was pleased and so excited. I can do this!

Archived