A new year's swap

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Teresa....

When you put the lists together, could you add a column for screen names? We mostly know each other by our screen names, and not our full name... that way if you have a question, you can U2U the person. This is just a suggestion!

Thanks for doing this, you are awesome for orgainizing yet another exchange....

Muslin it is. The tiny flecks in the muslin are the "natural" consequences of muslin. It gives that "old" look to it because it is under-processed. Bleached means they take it out. Kind of like the processed foods we eat where they take out all the nutrition and give us the leftovers. With that said, I think the natural muslin is better for us. :D:P

Bonnie, I'm with you. I can work in a block now and then and hope to be finished by the end of the year. Do we mail them all at once? or as we finish them?

I keep updating the list as more and more of you send me your names, but make sure I have your correct mailing address, telephone number, and screenID before Dec. 15th. I will delete any off the list at that time who have not sent in all their information.

You will notice that one has already dropped off. BE SURE you want to participate. If not I can remove your name now.

I can vouch that its not fun or nice to play a game like this and not receive all your blocks back.

I echo Teresa, PLEASE if you are not going to be able to finish don't start....life gets in the way, we are all busy. I'm not talking about the accident that happens or the unforseen....those none of us can predict, but what I am saying is if you know you have a busy schedule already...then that is different. Why add to it...and make yourself all stressy.

Its not funny when it happens to you, so put yourself in the shoes of those who have been hurt and really think about it.

I completely agree - if you don't think you can get 16 blocks done then don't ask to join... I have been in several exchanges both here and other places where people just wimped out. It's very frustrating when there are so many of us who are excited and usually get ours done early... I do it because I have the time and because I hope that my enthusiasm will catch on and everyone else will get theirs done!

If any of these exchanges has been a chore for you then you probably won't enjoy finishing this one either.

I'm so excited that more of our friends from around the world are joining us! How kool is that!

Bonnie Russell - it's up to you how you want to mail them... as you go OR all at once. Keep a list of who you sent them to, and who you receive them from. Teresa sends you a list of who sends to who. I highlight the ones I send to AND the ones I'm supposed to receive from.... It helps me to keep track. I also take pictures of what I send and receive...

Here is the prototype of the Rolling Stone. "A rolling stone gathers no moss" How many times did your mother tell you that when you were growing up? That must be why I'm so busy all the time. Never a chance to gather moss.

This isn't the fabric I'm going to use. It's just what I had in my stash to work up a sample. It isn't sewn together yet either. Looks big. 12.5 inches finished to be.

2805195860100404369S500x500Q85.jpg

I don't know what happened last night and with Flickr. I couldn't get it to post my picture. I just went through Webshots and made it work.

I was looking at my 30's stash and noticed that some have little animals like cats, dogs, and one with a little girl tea party. And then others are just geometric or flowers. Do you have a preference?

Robin - the list is back a page in this thread... When (Dec. 15th) Teresa gets it all together she will email or U2U your list of people to send to. she usually puts a list of all the exchanges on a new thread.

On the Aunt Grace thread there was a question on how to sign and with what... Here's my response... Sign your name, State, Province, Country, and 2008-9. Use a "pigma" pen... black is preferred. or you can use a permanent "laundry" pen... After you sign, Iron the block and that sets the ink.

I try to sign near the bottom, in an inconspicuous space. Not large letters, but so that the recipient can at least see it.

Originally posted by Boni

Bobbette,

Do you mean that we put our name on the block to be seen? or in the seam allowance to be sewn and hidden? I sort of like the idea of being able to see them and then we have friends for life.:)

Not Bobbi here, but to answer your question....it would be inside where it will be seen after its been sewn...on your little block that you have as a sample I would put it in the corner someplace...

post--13461900660755_thumb.jpg

Teresa, take a breath. I'm sorry you feel overwhelmed. You really started a good one! We'll be patient. After all, there's Thanksgiving to get through. and as I understand, we have six months to do this. You're doing a great job and I know it will turn out great. What fun!

And thanks Bonnie Botts for the visual. So we are supposed to sign them to be seen.

At this point Teresa is collecting the names.... I would suggest you U2U her and make sure she does get you on the list...she reads this daily, but with it getting so big one could get lost.

1)List to be collected till December 15th, 2008...and you have till May 31st 2009 to finish the blocks. Once the list is compiled Teresa will then let each of us know who our 15 people are. And you make 16 blocks...you keep one and give the 15 away...when you get all of them back you should also have 16 blocks.

2)They are to have unbleached muslin for the backgrounds, and any 1930's fabric....leaning more to the paler ones unless someone corrects me on that that...

3)blocks are to be 12 inched finish so your working block is 12 1/2 of ANY 1930's pattern....and you can find those in a number of places, and if you need help let me know I have a bunch that I can help you with.

4)I believe that we are to sign them with Name, State or country and year. in a place on the block that is does show so it doesn't get sewn into the seam allowance. (I know several who do not want signed blocks, they will have to let you know who they are when the time comes.)

Did miss anything guys.

Archived