A new year's swap

For the friendship exchange, I picked a block that had lots of pieces. That and the fact that I'm slow at piecing took me forever to get one block done. End result, I didn't finish my blocks on time. As a matter of fact, the last three ladies just got theirs last month. Long story short.....don't do that to yourself. If you have the ability and time to do more complicated blocks, go for it.

Speaking strictly for myself, I will love the blocks that I get. They are all special because someone took the time to make them for me.

The swaps are supposed to be fun and friendship.

Boy, I need to get off the soapbox so I'm gone LOL.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Coleen for your story. What does it matter that, if after we choose a block and find that it is too difficult, or we ran out of time, or what ever the reason, we can switch to something else that fits into our level of comfort and time? I thought one time of making an assortment of blocks, just to "try out" a few new ones. Any thought on that concept?:o

Gosh, Good Heavens, Lordy Lordy....

This is not a proficiency test, it supposed to be fun... I just love all of you and I found this block that I thought was really unique and lends it to our purpose of using 30s fabrics... So, it's certainly not meant to intimidate, and like I said, it's easier than it looks!!!! So, that being said, I just did it FOR YOU Guys to enjoy!!! And realize that I have more time on my hands than some of you...AND all these quilting things in my 'lil blonde head!

As for how to quilt it? Oh Bonnie R, I haven't thought that thru yet!! But maybe it will be a good inspiration to practice on!

I have my Christmas quilt on the machine and I'm using it to practice some things for when I do more customer quilts... Actually, EVERYTHING I've done so far is practice!!!!!

LOLOLOLOL

I don't believe it was set in rules or even suggestions that we each had to make the same 16 blocks...its was just easier for me to do that...for me it takes longer to make 16 different blocks, where when you make the same one you strip cut and speed piece.

So I would think unless I'm corrected here, that you are allowed to do whatever you wanted as long as they were making a 1930's patterns and using 1930's repro fabrics....and I also believe it was agreed upon to use the lighter ones instead of the darker brighter ones.

Only Teresa knows if she recieved a U2U or email from Gloria....What say Teresa....

Yes, its a huge ordeal to put this together, but Teresa has a slick program where she puts the names in and tells it (sorta) how many names each one has and it spits out the answer....she used in some manner her Excell program to do this...

We should all be getting our lists around Christmas time so that we can know whom we have.....

Those are some nice looking blocks, Mirabelle. I made my first block and decided to switch the fabrics. In making the square in a square, there is a lot of waste cutting the strips around the center square. I would rather waste muslin than my 30's fabrics.:(

Does anyone have a use for little tiny triangles about the size of a postage stamp? Eeeekkk I think I wasted as much fabric as I used! So , I'm already making modifications.:o I'll try to post a picture when I complete the next block--probably after Christmas.

I visited Patty Jo yesterday and saw the quilt that Bonnie Botts organized for her. One thing I observed was the signature on all the blocks. That made me think of this NewYear's swap and the issue of signatures.

I LOVE the signatures and the fact that I can see WHO did the block and WHERE it came from. I want everyone to sign the blocks they send to me--your name and your city/state/country.

What a memory piece to keep!

Now, what do we do if someone in our group does NOT want their blocks signed?

Bringing this to the top to address the issue of those who do not want their blocks signed.

How do we know to sign or not to sign? I really need an easy answer to this. On the other thread, Jeanne, shadows4, kansas city, was the only one who requested no signature.

Am I to assume that everyone else wants signatures?

Teresa, do you have any suggestions?

Archived