A new year's swap

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't find the other post with the list of block names as well.

I think I will do Road to California - appropriate since most of my blocks will be flying over California.

If this is already taken let me know. I was going to do Dutchman's Puzzle but I saw you have chosen it already.

Thanks again for your organisation.

Lyn

Hi Lyn!

I just wanted to assure everyone that we don't mind if another does the same block... I think they will look totally different because the chances are infinite that they will look the same.

I'm so excited to do this quilt!!! I hope everyone else is too... have I said that before? LOL

YEAH....I am done with my blocks....all ready wrapped and waiting for the names.....you will be getting an extra Christmas present from me. As soon as I know whom gets these they will be in the mail. FOR once I finished something on time....the pro procrastinator that I am.... I even surprised myself.

Now back to the Christmas presents that I should have been working on. ;):P;)

There will be a few points missing...sorry...I wasn't going for the totally homemade look, just happened. sorry.

It sounds like a lot of you are doing some pretty intracate blocks. I have been thinking in terms of more simpler blocks like Shoo Fly, Broken Dishes, and Churn Dash. I hope that will be OK with everyone. I plan to start on my blocks this week. That way I know that I will get them done for when they are needed.

Pamela

Pam of course you can do what ever you want....I went for VERY simple....how else could I have finished in time....I know if I went for something with tons of tiny pieces I 1) wouldn't finish even with a deadline of say like May 2009 and 2) I would change my mind several times between now and then trying to find the more simple block.

I honestly think the 1930's blocks were more simple because the farm wives didn't have time to spend on quilting in the evenings....they just didn't have enough hours in the day...kinda like today, only most of us don't have to spend 8 hours in the fields and barns as well as the house....

Can't get more simple than this.

post--13461900810506_thumb.jpg

Bonnie,

Shoo Fly, Churn Dash and Broken Dishes are even more simple! I really like your block. I hope that you get my name in the exchange.

I found two fat quarters of 30's fabrics that have needles and thimbles on them. I won't be able to get all of the blocks made with them unless I get more of the fabric.

Pamela

Bonnie that's a great block!

I sure hope everyone else gets done early too! I don't think I can wait til May to finish this one!!!

So, for a bit more inspiration, here's my block:

Aunt Letha's Electric Fan... and it IS the only one done so far - the rest will be done by new years. (I HOPE!)

post--13461900814784_thumb.jpg

WOW ! that is an awesome block. I am sure the recipient will be excited to have it in their quilt.

My muslin arrived this morning, washing it tomorrow, Friday, Saturday busy so will make a start on my blocks on Sunday.

I am so happy to be a part of this swap, thank you so much to everyone for making me feel welcome. You really are a wonderful group.

Regards from Down Under

Karen

Oh Wow!!! that is Beautiful!! Boy , I am so glad I joined this group some years ago.....What talent you all have. I am still tring to find a block, one that no one else is doing.. I have my fabrics, and can't wait to get started, but I still have Christmas quilts to get done. Thanks for showing your blocks.

Marylyn;););)

Thanks girls, I found a way to make it easy with chain piecing, and stacking fabrics to cut....

Bonnie - you silly - I love yours! I think this group will do us proud! Diane! Thanks for liking my choice!!!!

and Karen, of course you're welcome here!!! I love the stories on how we chose and made our blocks! I found my block at the LQS in a block of the month for 30s fabrics. Everytime I went back I stared and stared at it til finally one day I asked if I could buy just the one block!!!

I had already found another "fan" block that was paper pieced on the Quiltville site and want to do that one too - I hope to do a whole quilt in just "fan" blocks sometime... (Lord know when!)

No one should feel bad! This is fun and you do what you want to do regardless of the level of difficulty, complexity, or simplicity. Yes, time is a factor. I'm not going to put myself under such a time restraint and proficiency level that makes me ill or depressed or want to drop out. No, No, No don't do that! NO need for apologies either! Let's keep it fun and enjoy the whole process! OK?:D

Archived