A new year's swap

I feel with the number of us participating, that some of us will choose the same block. That is half the fun of having an exchange, the other half is how we put all these blocks together.

I do not think it would be fair on the co-ordinator to have to start giving the information of what block we are doing and whether we want them signed or not.

Once we have our list of whom we are making the blocks for, can we let them know individually by email if we want our blocks signed or not.

Teresa proposed a simple block exchange, not an encyclopedia of what to do/not do.

The block I was going to do, has already been mentioned by someone else that they are doing,

BUT to make it "more fun" for me I was going to make four different blocks so I didn't get bored plus an extra of each one for my own quilt! Confession of a large quilt maker.

Lyn

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not make this too confusing. Here's what I will do.

I will post a new thread with the names of all the people making blocks. YOU can go on there and list the block you are making and whether or not you want it signed.

OR you can contact the people who are making blocks for you and let them know whether or not you want them signed.

I'm going to start compiling the lists. Do you want 15 names (and then you keep one of your blocks) or do you want 16 names (so you can send them all out)???

Let's not make this too confusing. Here's what I will do.

I will post a new thread with the names of all the people making blocks. YOU can go on there and list the block you are making and whether or not you want it signed.

OR you can contact the people who are making blocks for you and let them know whether or not you want them signed.

I'm going to start compiling the lists. Do you want 15 names (and then you keep one of your blocks) or do you want 16 names (so you can send them all out)???

I am happy to play which ever way Teresa decides.............. she is the Boss of everyone. :) I am not trying to make it too difficult!! Honest!!:D;)

I would be happy to have contact with those I have to send Blocks to, once Teresa is ready with the lists, to discuss Blocks and signatures then. Whether 15 or 16, the more the merrier, as the saying goes. I have a few diffrent block designs that I am happy to change to if necessary.

I am not concerned about two or three blocks being the same, but achieving an aesthetically (?) pleasing mix!:P:cool:

Maybe that can be the theme of another Block exchange, if Teresa ever feels up to it again ;)............. the same block made by everyone, one main colour, same background colour (ie beige or white, non descript fabric of piecers' choice) but the rest scrappy ........ should be fun to see how different a look the same block can achieve.

I know, I am way ahead of myself.......... maybe this is why I have so many UFO's in my cupboard!!:P;)

Regards,

I am also happy with what ever Teresa decides. 15 or 16 doesn't matter as I may also need to make extra. King size beds are great until you have to make a quilt for them.

I think Suzanne had a great idea, to discuss between the maker and the recipient on signing or not, that way Teresa may not become too overwhelmed.

With so many blocks to choose from and everyone having different 1930's fabric I don't think block patterns matter. just by changing the fabric placement can change the whole look of a block. And what a lovely surprise the postie will bring, Christmas will just keep on coming.

Everyone seems keen, eager, and excited to get started so if you have the spare time at the moment go for it. ;);););) With Christmas and school holidays looming some of us may be stretched for time and may feel it is all getting a little too hard.

well that is my 2 cents worth, keep is simple.....and remember, Friendship is the light of our life, the joy in our day and the flower in our heart.

Regards

Karen

Originally posted by sewingjunky

I would do my block as my label for the back of the quilt.

Just a thought. I would like to get started on my blocks as I am off work, so is it ok to just pick a 1930's block and get started?

Brendalee

I would think most definitely...because I have already started my own....:P I have 6 finished and already in envelops...just waiting for the names and addresses....and all ready to get the rest done this next coming week. I want them all done before we even get the list that way I can mail them out right away, and not have to worry about being the last one to get them done.:D:P:cool:

I'll add my two cents...

I'll also go with what Teresa says, and 16 to send is good for me. It also doesn't matter if someone makes the same block as I do because the fabrics will be different. Signed is good for me too. I will be ha__y to do what others want if they U2U me... Like the "orange" thing. No _roblem.

Like Bonnie and a few others, I've begun to sew them. I'm _erfectly ha__y with what I receive as I know it is sent with lots of love and excitement! (the missing letter doesn't work on my keyboard for now - sorry! Nor do some other keys... makes ty_ing interesting! LOL

Let's just not obsess over details, like someone else said, this is a friendshi_ thing and I LOVE that we all have friends ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!! How kool is that (question mark...

I'm just so excited to have you all as quilting buddy's and I will be ready by the beginning of January to send my blocks off! this is gonna be a wonderful quilt!

luv -b

Originally posted by Bobbi47

I'll add my two cents...

I'll also go with what Teresa says, and 16 to send is good for me. It also doesn't matter if someone makes the same block as I do because the fabrics will be different. Signed is good for me too. I will be ha__y to do what others want if they U2U me... Like the "orange" thing. No _roblem.

Like Bonnie and a few others, I've begun to sew them. I'm _erfectly ha__y with what I receive as I know it is sent with lots of love and excitement! (the missing letter doesn't work on my keyboard for now - sorry! Nor do some other keys... makes ty_ing interesting! LOL

Let's just not obsess over details, like someone else said, this is a friendshi_ thing and I LOVE that we all have friends ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!! How kool is that (question mark...

I'm just so excited to have you all as quilting buddy's and I will be ready by the beginning of January to send my blocks off! this is gonna be a wonderful quilt!

luv -b

LOL. I was wondering what happened to your p's. Too much PPP?

Whatever Teresa decides is fine with me too. She works so hard on these exchanges that I can bend which ever way I need to to make it work. Still deciding on a block but I did get the fabric and I will be ready to go after the holidays. We are up to our ears with family projects and a few charity quilts for the homeless to keep warm during the cold weather.

For those of you so worried about getting duplicate blocks. .... Don't forget that we have 60 people or so making blocks. You are only getting blocks from 16 of those people, so the chance of getting a duplicate is small. I can try to juggle the lists so that you don't get duplicates.

I wouldn't mind because I know the fabrics will be different and that makes a huge difference in the way the blocks look.

I will try to keep the other post updated as people let me know which block they are making. I also need to go back and add the forum usernames.

Archived