When freehand doesn't work & problems follow...My saga.

The following pictures are of a quilt I finished before I left for a 2 week vacation. While I was gone, I thought about it. Alot.

I wasn't happy with the border. I was ok with the freehand orange peel in the blocks and I really liked the SID around the stars but the border imperfections really got to me. For one thing, I think it needed more quilting to be balanced with the quilt. And if I were to stipple the centers of the OP, the imperfections would really show up!!! Not good!

So, when I got home from vacation, I ripped out the border quilting. (You can see in the photos that I had already ripped out some while doing the quilting the 1st time!) It took me 8 hours to rip it out.

Yesterday I began quilting it again. I decided that I needed to chalk in more registration lines so that I could be more consistant with the design. I use school chalk and a ruler to mark the lines. I really made the lines stand out so I could see them. I am using Rainbows on the top and So Fine in the bobbin.

I started quilting and bam, my thread would break. Stop, fix the thread and start again. Bam. Break again. I was yelling and swearing so loud I scared my dog.

Started again today. Same thing. So, this afternoon I took the quilt off the frame and loaded some muslin. Started quilting and all was fine. Chalked a line to follow and Bam. Thread break. Drew a purple line and all was fine. Chalked another pattern and Bam. Thread break.

So what I have deduced is that heavily chalked lines do not work well with Rainbows. I did not know that. Tomorrow I will try again with lightly drawn air erasable lines.

I really want to get this quilt finished.......

post--13461900713462_thumb.jpg

Laura I love the design you chose to use on this quilt........it is beautiful on both sides. I'm sorry to hear you have been having so much trouble with the thread but very happy to know why. To finally find the source of a problem is a very good thing so Thank You for sharing.

Is this quilt for you or a customer? I love it...... and what are you using to get the arcs so perfect? or are you doing them free-motion???

Renae

It's a customer quilt. And due back tomorrow. She will be getting a call from me.....

The arcs are freehand. The imperfections aren't so noticable, or important, in the blocks but don't you think they really stand out in the border?

I did and that's why I ripped them out and re-stitched them with more lines.

I like how they are coming out now but when my thread breaks 7 times in one motif, I scream. I just had to find out what the problem was.

It is the chalk and I think it is too course for the thread.

Laurie, when I read a post I always read first and wait to look at the photo (want to know what you have to say before I look) I read what you said, thought "bummer" had those days BUT when I seen the quilt photo all I thought was WOW how awesome. Your quilting is fanatical, the quilt is outstanding.

Laurie, I'm sorry you've had such a rough time with this one. Your quilting style is always so pretty. You are one of many folks here who I aspire to be like. I love how you do the orange peels and CCs on your quilts. Whenever I think about doing something like these I think of you! Funny how we associate people to things, isn't it? Consider it a compliment. I hope your quilting goes smoother with Rainbows.

I have to ditto what Jolene said. I read your post and then looked at the pics. Don't see the errors. Its beautiful. You know when you are right close to the quilt quilting it on the machine, the errors are so bold and obvious, but when you take a quilt off the frame and view the whole quilt, it is amazing how the little bobbles, or whatever was bothering us on the frame, are hard to find. Sometimes I think the places where I have repaired something that bothered me shows up more than just leaving the little bobble. It is a perfectionist problem we have, I think.

Again, the quilt is beautiful and I think the customer will love it.

Robin

Archived