QuiltTalk In-depth

DawnCavanaugh

Hi Everyone!

It's been zany the past few weeks and I've fallen behind on my QuiltTalk articles, located on the home page.

Never fear, a new article is up today! I'm sure you're busy getting ready for the holidays, so if you've got metallic thread in mind for that tree skirt, or are having tension issues, be sure to read the article.

QuiltTalk--Seasonal Tension

In the article I've included a link to a new educational video mini series called "QuiltTalk In-depth". These will hopefully give you more info to help make your quilting fun and easy.

Any time you visit the home page, scroll down and click the QuiltTalk link to see what's new and to keep me on my toes. As always, ideas for articles are welcome.

Have a great weekend!

Dawn,

I'm glad you mentioned Quilt Talk...I go right to the forum all the time and need to check the main page out more. I can tell I will get a lot of info from Quilt Talk.

Enjoy those musical days...my daughter and son have beautiful voices and though they didn't get much into the sports side of things they were in the high school madrigal and I miss that.

P.S. Your daughter sounds just like mine! Hang in there...my girl has graduated from high school and is working for a year or two before college. Her mood swings have started to lift and she is growing up more all the time! We can acutally have adult conversations now!

You're all welcome. I think that when one can see the mechanics of how something happens, it's easier to understand how to fix it.

The video segment showing the top thread wrapping around the hook, for example, is a great way to explain how a small burr can cause problems.

I'll try to remember to post here when a new article is "up" and promise to update it more often. When the new site came online, both Heidi and I set lofty goals for the updates, but you know how it goes...

Dawn I have to thank you for this tip (threading thru the duckbill). I tried it, when you posted it on the forum awhile back, with my Glitter and it really smoothed things up. No breaks at all. So I when I used King Tut for the first time the other day, and it started breaking, I threaded it that way and it ran perfect as well. Great tip! Thanks for all you do to educate us and keep us having fun!

Tracye,

I'm glad it worked! You're right about threading King Tut that way as well. It's a thicker thread, and cotton to boot, which increases drag. Its twist also can be a problem threading it through the normal way (though some quilters don't have a problem.)

And for everyone regarding King Tut, if you are having thread tension issues, be sure you're using a 4.0 needle or consider going up one more size to a 4.5 if you still have troubles. This is one of those threads that increases needle flex, and if you add cotton batting, it's even worse.

Happy Quilting!

Thanks Dawn. This video helped me understand why I have some tension problems just in specific areas when all else looks great. It's always with cotton thread - never poly. I've been skipping the bottom hole on the 3 - hole. I'm going to switch to how you have it in the video.

Archived