Wedding Stories

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where they found Rod had stashed a small jewlers box that had a big sparkle. Cops were in on the proposal and asked him to step out of the car. They then had MB step out of the car. After pretending to run the plates they said the only thing that would keep ROd out of jail would be if Mary Beth married him. Mary Beth mishear the officer and said.....

Sorry...I'm taking phone calls from customers....this is harder than it looks :P

So, we ended up with a $50 ticket and the nice officer didn't say a word about my tags. Don't ask me why I purchased a $350 dress and didn't renew my tags...I know...it doesn't make sense.

Anyway.....I took Rod home and I went back to my brother's house in Independence. I was house sitting and dog sitting while my brother's family was on vacation.

The next day, Saturday, Rod called at about 10 am and wanted to know what I was doing....I took this as a good sign...he was going to ignore the dress....

When I told him that Jen and I were just cleaning the house, he wanted to know if I wanted to go ring shopping. I was in the car in about 2 seconds :D:P

We picked out rings that afternoon and had them sized, then picked them up on Wednesday of that week.

I took Thursday and Friday off work because I hated my job, but that's another story....

I went over to Rod's and fixed a big dinner on Thursday evening for him and his boys. When he got home from work and sat down to eat I told him that I had a great idea....what if we went to Arkansas on Friday and get married.

I was met with momentary silence....then he picked up the phone, called his boss and asked for Friday off. Since he is such a great employee - again, another story - he got the day off and we made plans for the trip.

Of couse since I was baby sitting my brother's dog, so I had to get another baby sitter for the dog....

We left bright and early on Friday morning for Arkansas and dropped the 3 kids off in Springfield with my parents and then we headed south!!

When we arrived in Arkansas we had to go striaght to the courthouse to purchase our license. There must have been a million cigarette butts at the front door of that courthouse, which I found kind of funny.

After we got the license we drove through town looking for a motel....we were in Eureka Springs, Arkansas for those of you who know the area....beautiful place!!

When we checked into the hotel we asked the guy where we could get married and he suggested a place. Now, Eureka Springs is probably like Vegas...everyone can marry you....I think the gas station even have signs that say "Justice of Peace" on premises.

We unpacked our bags at the hotel and I realized that I had forgotten my makeup. I can't get married without makeup!!

Sorry....to be continued :)

Okay...I'm home...and your story was almost better than mine...but not quite :P:D

Any way, where was I.....oh....

So, Rod decided that things were moving just a little fast. So we decied to take our time, drive to the next town to Wal-Mart, get the make up and then find a place to get hitched.

On the way back from Wal-Mart I told Rod about a place I had heard about since I was a kid called Miracle Mansion. It was suppose to have the prettiest staircase ever and lots of weddings were performed there. So when we started seeing signs for this place Rod said we would stop and check it out....oh my gosh!!!

We pulled into a long lane leading down to the wedding destination. There were a row of cabins with curtains hanging in the windows that had rotten from the sun. The cabins looked only large enough to house a full size bed...but then...what more did you need? Then there was this big, black, cadillac from the '50's or so...like the one in that country song about that guy that picks up a hitch hiker only to find that he was the ghost of Hank Williams Sr? Like that!!

Do you all remember those half golf ball looking buildings that cropped up in the mid '60's? Kind of space age looking things....Miracle Mansion :o It had these big arched windows on this sphere looking structure. Rod acutally got out of the car to look at it further. He cupped his hands around his eyes, to window peep and the window had a huge crack going right across it. It made a creaking sound when he leaned on it and I thought he was going through...

oh no...Rod just called....he wants to go to Sonic for dinner...I'll be back :P

Not my wedding but a friends: Her mother was so nervous she washed her hands in the punch.

Another friend: Had a wedding in her yard to save money. She rented a dress with a huge long train. During the ceremony a dog ran through the yard, stopped, lifted his leg and peed on the train. Sorry, but I had to laugh - couldn't contain myself!

What?? :o You mean to tell us that you actually stopped (yet again) in the middle of your cliff-hanger story for a Sonic hamburger??? Now I'm really insulted and not sure I should be competing with one of those hamburgers....Are they even that good to eat? We don't have Sonic up here, but I have eaten at one before. Anyway, you know men...when they're hungry that's it! Gotta feed that pie hole and keep daddy happy. ;)

I'm back...

There was no ghost at the mansion...you need to re-read that post...

So I folded my arms and said, "I'm not getting married here!!"

Rod said, "Well, I'm not going home empty handed!!"

So we drove back into Eureka Springs. He pulled off the road when we got to the center of town in front of a place called "Judge Roy Beans Saloon" - I started whining, "Please don't make me get married in a place like this...."

Rod told me that he just wanted to go inside and get some information. The inside was really not too bad, but the "Judge" or Mr. Bean...was in the back room and didn't know we were standing in his "saloon" and he hacked up something....yuk!!! Ick....I needed out of there...but then he appeared and I had to act normal. Mr Bean walked up to me like I was his interior designer and asked what I thought of the wall paper he had selected for one wall. Rod asked his questions and we got the heck out of there.....

We went up the hill (and they are extremely big hills there) to a place called "Tie Me UP and Cut Me Loose". Mr. Bean had told Rod he could rent a tux there....It was a beauty shop in the front and a tux/wedding dress rental in the back. However, Rod is a big guy and they didn't have a tux that would fit and they would need to Fed-x it in....we didn't have time for that....Love waits for no tux...or something like that.

Rod struck a deal with the shop owner that if she would find us a place to get married, he would let her fix my hair and pay her well...So she did. She sent us to the same place the motel owner had suggested. It was called Victorian Photos. It is a little photography studio where each wall is different and the photographer's wife/helper is a minister. We selected the wall we wanted to be married in front of...we had a victorian fireplace scene or a 1800's bar scene, or a big, metal bathtub like you see in westerns..I went for the victorian wall.

We went back to the beauty shop/tux/wedding dress rental place. I stayed there and got my hair done and Rod took a stoll down the street. He stopped off in a little bar to "rest". The bar tender said something like, "say partner, what brings you to town?" and Rod told him that he was getting married at 2 pm. The bar tender got all happy and said that they needed to celebrate and reached under the bar for a "special jug". To this day we don't know what it was in that jug, but when Rod came into the beauty shop/tux/wedding dress rental place....he had a bounce in his step and I don't think it was from the thought of getting married :D:D

We went back to the Victorian Photos place. They had a tux that fit Rod, but he looks like a gambler from the 1800's and won't let me show those pictures to anyone. I went into a back room and changed into my dress. And we were married.

We will have been married 15 years in February....and we are still going strong ;)

Marie, aren't you glad you started this conversation.

Thank you to all my faithful followers :D:P

Well, Shana it hasn't ended yet. They're planning their 20 year anniversary in the Basin Park hotel where they really do have ghosts. I think they're planning a seance to call up the spirits of departed quilters.

Eureka Springs is a beautiful place. We used to go down there when I was a kid before it became a tourist haven. There isn't one flat place within miles of the town. The first lawsuit filed there was on behalf of a housewife who's cooking fire was extinguished when her neighbor threw her dishwater out the back door and it fell down through the plaintiff's chimney.

mrmargie

My DH and I met in September, engaged in December and married in March. Certain members of my family (the crazy ones) weren't invited so it was my brothers job to stand guard outside the church to make sure they stayed away. After the Minister finished saying "does anyone here have any objections etc etc" there was a deafening silence only broken when by almost DH says out loud "Thank G## for that" The reception was almost uneventful until we found out a group of his friends were openly taking bets on how long it would last.

Well next March it is 31 years and we always say the only reason we stay together is so they can't collect on the bets. We have 2 beautiful children 27 and 25 but no grandchildren yet !!!! still hopeful

And the honeymoon!!! we were going to spend a few days on the Gold Coast until DH was advised that he was due to appear in court in relation to a car accident he had been involved in. So we spent 3 days sitting in a court room.

We have only had one fight in all these years and to break the silence I had to tell him I was expecting and we made a vow then to never argue again and we have had the most amazing life.

Kim,

I named my Millie Lucy....after Mrs. Ball!!:D I think I could be just like her :P:D:cool:

Karen,

Great story....with a happy middle....but not the end - like mrmargie said....

I'm really sorry to keep you all hanging all day with that story...it's just that my life is an open book and it takes a while to give you all the details. Thanks for sticking with me all day.

Keep those stories coming....

Geoff and I had two dates, became engaged in September and were married six weeks later in November. That was 27 years ago. The timing was planned around our training timetable and the only Saturday between training commitents that would allow us a two week break, was the 14th. The 14th it was going to be. Geoff's birthday is on the 25th November, so he claims that he was married for a week but had aged a year!!

He had his proposal all worked out as well......... speech.......... restaurant.........etc etc. He must not have been too sure of himself however, because one afternoon he asked...... "hypthetically speaking, if I should ask you to marry me, what would your answer be?" I replied that "hypothetically speaking I might have to say "Yes"!" So, hypothetically speaking we have been very happy for our married life even without the "formal"request.

Normally the only thing the Groom has to do on "The Day" is turn up. In our case it was the reverse, I was so busy with finishing my University degree and my Army Reserve commitments, that Geoff organised everything (he was a Regular Army officer stationed at my Unit). He even paid for my wedding dress. Having no-one but Mum, Dad and my brother and sister in Australia, we were always going to have a small wedding. We had approximately 50 people that really meant a lot to us there. A few days before the wedding, I was told by Mum to answer the doorbell........ there was my Grandmother and my cousin, who had flown in from Germany for the big day.

I wanted a wedding early in the day, so we could go home for Lunch and still party on with friends and family before leaving for the Honeymoon. We decided on the Church (St John's in Parramatta, one of the oldest and really beautiful churches in Sydney) and went to see the Reverant. He looked at his schedule and said OK and booked us in. It was only closer to the day that we found out that the Church was actually booked out for 18 months in advance but because we wanted to have it so early in the day, we were the first wedding for that Saturday. Geoff insisted on a Church Wedding because as he maintains, if I had to make my oath in front of God to stay married to him, then I couldn't possibly ever leave him. Will we ever part? I think not......... both of us are much too "determined" for that.

We had the reception at home. Dad (Builder) build the house for Mum. We didn't have carpet in the dining room or the lounge room. Both were huge rooms that were going to have the tables etc for the meal placed in them. Mum decided that she couldn't possibly have people there without carpet, so that Friday night, after six pm, the carpet layers arrived. At the same time we had all the tables, chairs, cutlery, crockery, glasses and linen delievered. In other words, boxes were everywhere.

I had my brother, sister, my bride's maid and my cousin copy out neatly five essays, that had to be post marked that day, to be eligible for marking so I could finish my degree (pre computer age) with all this confusion and chaos going on around us. When Geoff dropped his car off, and he and the best man walked in on this he was so shocked. All you could read on his face was........."there will be no wedding tomorrow!!" Just then, the oven blew up and the caterer panicked and became frazzled. I assured Geoff that I woud be at the church and that the house would be fine, but he was not too sure about that. Bless his military, organised and always - in - charge little heart.

Needless to say, the house was fine and I was at the church fashionably late (the limo drivers arrived there on time, but maintained that the Bride could not be on time, so they circled the church for 5 minutes- needless to say, this also caused some consternation to my husband to be). We had a great time at the reception with our friends and family.

Archived