Menu Ideas Needed

Hi all...I'm having my step-daughters, their boyfriends and my Mother-in-law for dinner. It will be our Christmas dinner, although, we'll be watching football and just visiting.

Any ideas for menu choices? I want to make something that will feed everyone without being too fancy. I'm open to any and all suggestions.....

Thanks, guys!!

Shana...that sounds lovely! I especially like the "lots of beer and margaritas" part! I have an awesome margarita recipe. But authentic tortillas? Do I have to make them??? <gulp>

Thought of you yesterday. My DH and I went snow-shoeing and I wondered how much snow you must have.

Okay...missy, is your back well enough to be snowshoeing.....

As far as the authentic tortillas...you have the one best resource right in Reno...one of the best tortilla making companies in the nation....they are about as good as homemade as you can get....

I just tried to find the name of the brand, but can't seem to find it....look at the store...the manufacture is either in Sparks or Reno....It not the Mission Tortilla's its the thicker ones.... Man I wish I was there I could walk right up and pick it out for you....

Wow, you guys are great!!

Unfortunately, I won't be going to Reno (Bonnie, I know exactly the place you're talking about) and our local Mexican restaurant isn't worth eating at. But...if the enchiladas are good enough, then hopefully, the shells won't be too important.

I love lasagna, too...that's another really good and low-fat <NOT> suggestion! But, hey, its the holidays, right???

I've never found a good stew recipe; but I do like the idea of something in the crock pot for ease. I'll have to give that some thought.

And, Bonnie (or should I call you "mom":P), my back is doing great. Snow shoeing didn't hurt at all. In fact, Dennis says I'm feeling good enough to go back to work now. I did explain that that wasn't the point! The doc says I shouldn't go back for 2 1/2 to 3 mos, so I'll be darned if I'm going back a minute before I have to!!:P:P Its not like I can go back and then change my mind and stay home...such a silly husband I have!

Long story, relatively short...

9/2008 I went to a chiro because I was getting ready to ride 100 miles (in 24 hours) on my horse and wanted to get rid of a slight pain I was having in my back. Chiro made it worse; I made it 16 miles into my 100 miles and had to stop and could barely walk. Several vicodin later and an appt with a surgeon had me scheduled for a 3 disk laminectomy in December. Did that; then 6 week later blew one of the same disks again. Almost a year later, this last November, I had a second surgery on 2 of the same 3 disks and have been home healing ever since. After being in pain for the last year, I am thrilled to be relatively pain free! :)

I'm really enjoying my home time and am not looking forward to going back to work. Unfortunately, it will happen. I've tried to talk the horses into getting jobs so they can pay for their own food...they're not even considering it--ungrateful beasts:P:P

Ok, here's a stew recipe. It can be cooked in a crockpot or in a 9 x 13 pan in the oven.

2 pounds stewing meat. Put on the bottom.

Cover with 2 cups onions, 2 cups potatoes, 2 cups celery, 2 cups carrots, 1 can mushrooms. All this is really just a suggestion. I've used less of some and more of others and it's still fine.

Pour over 3 Cups V-8 juice. Sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon Sugar, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 2 tsp. salt, 4 Tbs. tapioca. Juice goes on last. Bake 6 hrs at 250 degrees covered with foil or use crockpot.

I don't even really measure the V-8, just pour over it all.

Thanks, Bonnie.

Shana...I needed a reason to trudge out to the pasture in the snow...now I have one. Pony pets (and probably nose kisses) coming up:P They're all basking in the sun now.

VictoriaSews...that stew recipe sounds great and easy! Think I'll give it a go--if not for this dinner then definitely for another one. I love crockpot cooking.

Dory;

How about Italian Beef sandwiches?

I usually make this as one of our meat dishes on Christmas Eve but since attendance was less this year am making it today instead.

Crockpot Italian Beef

4 lbs rump roast, string removed

16 oz jar of mild pepperchini peppers, drained

2 pkgs "Good Season's" dry Italian seasoning mix

14 oz can beef broth

10 oz beer

French Rolls

Toss it all in the crockpot set it on low for 8 hours (after 6 hours have gone by take the roast out of crockpot slice the meat as thin as you want and place back in the crockpot to finish cooking the remaining 2 hours). Serve on French Rolls and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Serves 10-12 easily.

Very easy to make and very good!!

Serve with a great garden salad, potato chips, dips etc...

That sounds yum-my!

Oh, what I wouldn't do for a crusty loaf of bread!

One of my favorite things in the world is a nice bowl of stew, soup, or chowder, and a nice crusty bread...

I'm having a nice thick bowl of veggie soup right now:

potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and a package of Knorr Leek soup mix, some spices and cracked black pepper...mmmm! wish I had a crusty bread to go with it. :(

Yesterday, we took some leftover ham chopped it up in the food processor with a bit of green onion, shredded cheese blend, mustard and a little dab of mayo, a bit of horseradish and then spread it out on a pressed-out crescent roll dough, then rolled it up and baked it. They were tasty! dh loved it with some chips for watching football. Next time I might try a regular bread dough instead of the crescent, or a biscuit. and maybe some spicy mustard.

salivatin' sammi :D

Dory,

I really like Taco Soup for a crock pot kind of thing. I have a really good recipe and then you serve it with crushed chips and a dollup(sp?) of sour cream and shredded cheese on top. Really easy and really, really good. Holler if you want the recipe. I am not a cook but even I can make good taco soup.

Have fun with your family!

Joann, that sounds good and really easy!

Um, Sammi...I'm thinking that cooking the meat is the same as the fruitcake (I think) joke. Open the boose, pour some in the concoction and have a little taste to make sure its okay:P

Robin..I'd love your Taco Soup recipe...please send it!

Man, by the time I'm done here, I'm going to have dinner ideas for weeks!!!:)

Dory,

I have a taco soup recipe I love and it only cooks for 30 minutes but you could put it in a crock pot if you wanted. Here is the recipe:

1 lb ground beef

2 cans black beans (you can substitute whatever beans you like)

2 cans Rotel (this is spicy but I love it)

1 small can diced tomatoes (you could substitute the Rotel and use 3 cans if you don't want it spicy)

1/2 c corn

1 package Taco seasoning

Brown ground beef. Add the remaining ingredients cook 30 minutes. You can serve in a bread bowl or add chips on top. You can also add cheese and sour cream if your not trying to save calories.

Yum. That taco soup sounds delish! I love tortilla soup (which is totally different than your taco soup) but I'm gonna make your taco soup for DH this weekend while watching the football games on TV.

Originally posted by sammi357

ps, mrs bishwit, hows come that recipe calls for 10 oz of beer, which we ALL know comes in a 12 oz can???? hummm???? :P

Is that kinda the same concept... like in the TV commercial showing the guy gift wrapping the 6 pack of beer and after he's done he unwraps a teeny bit enough to pull one out for himself and then covers the hole in the gift wrap with a bow? I think it's called the Christmas 5 pack or something like that.

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Yum. That tortilla soup sounds delish! I love tortilla soup. I'm gonna make that for DH this weekend.

Originally posted by sammi357

ps, mrs bishwit, hows come that recipe calls for 10 oz of beer, which we ALL know comes in a 12 oz can???? hummm???? :P

Is that kinda the same concept... like in the TV commercial showing the guy gift wrapping the 6 pack of beer and after he's done he unwraps a teeny bit enough to pull one out for himself and then covers the hole in the gift wrap with a bow? I think it's called the Christmas 5 pack or something like that.

Now Shana you should know those 2 ounces are for the cook!:D:D

Taco soup is my fav and I can eat it and not feel guilty!

My taco soup recipe is a little different than Heidi's and I make it on the stove but it can be made ahead and stuck in a crock pot for eating whenever the mood hits or the game has a lull. It is the recipe that our little espresso shop in town served every Tuesday until they recently closed their doors. It is very expandable as per the amount of people you want to serve. The ingredients are as follows:

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef

16oz jar pace salsa(mild or medium or do half and half)

16oz can tomato soup

16oz can diced tomatos

1 pkg mild taco seasoning

Brown the hamburger in the salsa, add diced tomatos and tomato soup, add water to desired thickness and taco seasoning and bring it to a boil. I serve it with crushed baked Dorito's, a dollup of sour cream and shredded cheese on top. Plus more chips on the side.

Like I said, I'm not a cook, but I make this and it is a definite hit.

Archived