Hobbs Heirloom Wool Batting

I only used it on one quilt so far. It is on a twin bed in my house and has never been washed. Sorry, I can't add to your information request. What I used was from Quilter's Dream.

I am also wondering if clothes moths will eat it like they do a wool sweater. I occasionally have pulled out a wool sweater in the fall to find little holes in it. Has to be those darned moths! That is when I felt the sweater and make a new hand bag. :)

Ann Henry,

I did my baby heirloom quilt with Quilters Dream Wool and it turned out beautiful. I don't think I have a pre-wash picture but here is the link to the picture of it finished. http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=9411&page=1#pid83564

It washes beautifully. I do have a front loader washing machine so I don't aggitate.

Is it really moths or soap powder?... I have 2 wool sweaters that are supposed to be machine washable and I skimmed over the care instructions - who needs to read them anyway! I used a mild eco friendly detergent (so I thought). After a few washes my sweater now looks like there has been a plague of moths.

The next time I had a coffee break while reading my sweater catalogue (OK, so I was bored) lo and behold there was a photo of what would happen if you do not use detergent that is specifically for wool... lots of lacy, mothy holes. I think most modern wool is probably moth treated so perhaps it's the way we wash stuff?

LINZI xx

Originally posted by AnnHenry

Can anyone post a picture of what a quilt with this batting looks like before and after washing?

My experience with wool batting after being washed is not happy.

Here is the one that I did....and its been washed and ready to go to the person I made it for.

post--13461900966185_thumb.jpg

Ok Bonnie - this one is for you!! I love the wool. My big question is how we make it lay perfectly flat like cotton & cotton blends. I see that your quilt hangs just like mine - just a bit of a wave which is only noticeable when hung on the wall - mine don't show this when on a bed. If one used wool for a show quilt, would one want to wash and then pin & dry on a flat board??

Love the quilt........

Yes, Meg...you would have to block the quilt...this one was just for a friend so I didn't go the extra and block it....also its the only way you can have a 100% square quilt for a show.

Also some of the wave maybe the curtains behind the quilt pushing it out a bit more than if it was flat against the wall.....the quilt is snapped to the glass sliding door with the curtains pulled shut.

Originally posted by sandradarlington

Very nice quilt, Bonnie. I'm reading this on my laptop with a very small screen, so it's really hard to see the detail on you quilt, but is that an initial in the center of the lower edge?

Yes, Sandy it is...the lady that I gave it to...its her first name initial.... "R"

Judy...right off the top of my head I can't remember...I will have to see if I can find the book and I will report back.

Thanks Bonnie - I figured it would take the extra work - but living in a small place makes it very hard to properly block the quilts - so I live with the lack of perfection.

Second question - tension for quilt on frame - if the quilt is too tight on the frame, does this increase the chances of wave in the quilt? Makes sense to me and I am still learning and don't think I have figured it out completely. Any input would be appreciated.

Originally posted by meg_marsh

Second question - tension for quilt on frame - if the quilt is too tight on the frame, does this increase the chances of wave in the quilt? Makes sense to me and I am still learning and don't think I have figured it out completely. Any input would be appreciated.

No I don't believe that would have any effect on a quilt...because if that was the case I would have some pretty wonky quilts in my life/customers as when I first started out no one was there to help me and I tightened pretty tight when I first started...and there are alot of those quilts that got a ribbon so I don't think that has any effect. on it....

Archived