Help -Stand alone bobbin winder???

Hello!! I have just set up my Lennie and am finally running out of prewound bobbins. My Lennie only came with the little plastic side winder (as a bonus i guess), it is a cute little winder and actually works well for winding bobbins from spools of thread, BUT CAN'T BE USED WITH A CONE OF THREAD!!! I have purchased some cones from superior threads and joanns, now i need bobbins. i can't wind my own from the cones, my regular machine only winds from spools also. I wouldn't mind buying the prewound ones - but man are they expensive and it is really hard to see what the real colors are.

Does anyone have any suggestions for purchasing a good, reliable stand alone bobbin winder??? I see APQS has one for $350, but I can't get any info about it or pictures from their web. please help!

Thanks,

Tammy (newbie)

Maryland

A cone stand - HOW WONDERFUL - I had no idea, this is a must investigate for my machine, I have a inexpensive Janome, not sure how she would work with one, but it is an inexpensive thing to try out before a purchase of a costly stand alone winder! THANKS LADIES!!! I love this forum!

just in case the cone stand doesn't work well with my Janome, any other thoughts on a stand alone?! Sandra, thannks for your feed back on the APQS one.

Tammy

Before I found the cone stand ,I used a coffee cup to hold the thread. I just sat if off to the side of the machine and kinda draped the thread over the thread holder on the top of the machine, just to use it as another guide. In fact, I have a cone thread holder stand, and often just still use the cup.

You also may be able to wind the APQS bobbins on your Janome winder. Sit the cone in a coffee cup or bowl and run it through the guide over the thread holder on the machine. I have not tried it with an APQS bobbin, but have done it with non Janome bobbins on my Janome. I have a cone thread holder that I use with my Janome machines, so if you invest in a thread holder, you can always use it with you DSM too.

I was able to wind the Lennie bobbin on my Janome, it hurt my fingers like crazy trying to get the bobbin off of the Janome, but it worked. I was on the way to get a coffe cup when I found one of my husbands ruler tools, I put the cone on this and just held it, i guess i was the human cone holder!!!!! I did get a nice wound bobbin!!! But taking the bobbin off the Janome really hurt me!!! I am still going to try to find a cone holder and see if the cone holder will work with the side winder, i don't think my fingers can handle the constant removal of the bobbin off the janome. thanks again to everyone!

Tammy, Newbie from New Market!!

If you purchase the thread stand (& hopefully you do at some point - it is very useful), I recommend that you get the one with the metal base and not the plastic base. The metal base is much more stable. I bought mine at my LQS. Also, it is worth the investment to get the good bobbin winder from APQS and skip the SideWinder.

Another cone thread stand option is to use your Lenni..... work from the back of the machine, have your sidewinder set up and ready to go and have your cone of thread placed in the thread holder at the back, feed the thread through the first top thread guide and then to the sidewinder. I've tried it, it does work just have to be careful with the sidewinder to ensure even winding on the bobbins, it does take a bit of practise as uneven or loose wound bobbins can contribute to tension issues...also the bobbins do not fill up completely with thread. My better choice is to use my turbo bobbin winder from APQS to wind all my bobbins, it is the "cream-of-the-crop" in my opinion. If you can, look into getting a turbo bobbin winder from APQS...you can call them and order it or you can order it through any dealer.

Oh, also, I have a metal based thread cone stand too in my studio that I use for my DSM, I bought it from Superior Threads and it was worth the money I paid for it, very sturdy.

I hope APQS does something about that bobbin winder they send out with some of their machines. I struggled with that 'thing' for a few months. Lenni is a great machine other than that bobbin winder.

Using the advice from this forum, I spent $89 for the Gammill stand alone bobbin winder (no tax, $11 shipping). I now get full bobbins that I can wind from a cone or spool. I am happy as a clam now.

I also bought the stand alone bobbin winder from Gammill, $89. Works wonderful!

I have a Gammill and the bobbin winder on it works while you are sewing so you need a second cone or run your longarm while winding. I opted for a stand alone as I couldn't see getting a second cone of everything or running my longarm just to wind a bobbin.

I made me a stand to hold my large spools of thread, I made it out of 2 dial pins... it work great on the Dsm machine,,, I scewed a cup holder on one end of the dial pin for the guide of the thread, took a sauce for a measuring tool and cut a round circle for the bottom and in the center cut a hold for the dial pin it stand about 12 inches tall,, can set it on a table and the thread never get messy it guides real easy into the machine,,,

I got the stand alone bobbins winder with my APQS machine,, it work great, too.

Wilma

A separate bobbin winder came with my millie. I use it, but just did puchase some prewounds. My DH and I measured out the yardage on the ones I wound and then compared it to the prewounds.... The prewound really doesn't cost that much more than the ones I wind myself,,,, I thinks it was 5 cents or less per bobbin. JFYI! :D linda

I have the Gammill Stand alone bobbin winder, and I am very happy with it.

If the coffee cup doesn't work, try a deep vase.

I bought Superior Masterpiece thread, and it kept breaking on my DSM. I was told that this was because MP was on a cone, so I took the cone off the machine and put it into a vase. I put an empty metal bobbin on the empty spool "stem" and run the thread around it so the machine thinks it is just coming off the spool. I have no problems with it this way.

I still don't dare to use Masterpiece on my longarm. Can anyone tell me why MP was created as a two-ply thread instead of three-ply? Our "regular" threads are 40 weight 3 ply, and MP is 50 weight 2 ply. I wonder why it was decided to make it 2 ply.

Linda. Thanks for the info on the price of prewounds verses winding yourself. I use prewound bobbins almost exclusively because, quite frankly, I hate winding bobbins. The prewounds are just so convenient. It's good to know I'm not really wasting money by being lazy. LOL

Holly, As I said, I just, a couple of weeks ago, got some prewounds. What colors do you get? I wanted to get the off white or creamy color (don't remember #'s or exact color names ) they were out of it, so I did end up getting a champaigney color. It has worked out well so far I've used it on 2 quilts perfect color for them! do you by them by the 1/2 gross? I did. The one color is all I have so far. Have been winding my own for the other colors I need. I do like them because they last so much longer. On some of the quilts I've done, I have allot of quilting and I seem to be changing my bobbin every time I turn around~Thanks for your info! linda

thanks for everyones input........I have, what might be a stupid question regarding why the pre-wound bobbins would last longer. If the bobbins are the same size then wouldn't it stand to reason that a bobbin can only hold so much thread. Would it be because the pre-wound bobbins are wound tighter then what we can wind with our cups/vases and stand along bobbin winders???????

Archived