free motion quilting

Robin

i absolutely love useing patterns, whether i trace the pattern with a fabric marking pen that washes out later or use pounce chalk i stencil like no ones business! You are still going about it free handed, but you have that guide line so to speak. I have a few stencils that i have used so much that i can ALMOST do them without the stencil, but i do like having the crutch of the outline there.

BEST OF LUCK & HAPPY QUILTING!:cool:

I started off with a sketch pad and drew feathers, terry twists, loops, stars, etc., just to get the motion. Then I put on muslin and practiced with this wide expanse of muslin and no markings until I read a post on MQ Resource about practicing with a purpose. They suggested drawing in blocks and practicing the same thing in the blocks over and over to get the hang of it.

So that's what I did. I used my channel locks to outline blocks (I'm far too lazy to draw them on) and then I'd stitch in them over and over (using different colored thread) to get the feel for a pattern. That really worked--otherwise I found I wasn't really practicing anything enough to actually get comfortable with doing it.

After watching Myrna's Fowlproof Feathers I really went to town. I put up a huge piece of muslin and filled the whole thing with feathers; then I put another piece of muslin on top and did it again.

I really found that "Practicing with a Purpose" is so much better than just plain practice. I actually figured out how to do things, what I liked and what I didnt like. Oh, big tip from Innovations...look where you want to end up-not where you're going. That really works well--when I remember to do it!:D

Have fun!!

Robin for me I like to have target places so I usually draw a shape I want to fill, circle, square, triangle, etc. I fill it in different ways and just test things out. I love Jodi Robinson's books, quilt to fill. She does some beautiful work with fairly easy templates to mark off you space. DeLoa Jones has some wonderful books that will give you a lot of ideas. My favorite DVD's are Jaime Wallen's Cotten Tracks and Raena Haddidins Amazing Rays. I refer to those a lot! You just have to find the thing speaks to you and then go for it! You will quickly start to add new things.

I second Darlene Epp's books. They are awesome.

I like how she builds different features on to basic shapes. I have done several quilts using her border pocket book and have started building my own items into the shapes.

I also like looking at designs and just playing to see if I can do them. Things like the scroll work on an iron gate in town or a motif off of my china. I can actually draw much better with my machine that I can with a pencil, which was a real surprise to me. You could also look at the Inspiration folder at some of the quilts posted and find something that you like and want to work on.

Thank you Mary Beth and Angela. Someone on the Longarm List the other day called me a "pioneer"! Funny, I don't feel that old. LOL Well.........some days I do! :o

Pocket Guides to Freehanding and Heirloom Feathers ~ Freehand, Formal and Fanciful can be found here:

http://trilliumhousedesigns.com/shop/category/pocket-guides-books/

Just click on a picture for complete information.

Shipping is free around the world when you order both sets at the same time. ;)

DOODLE DOODLE DOODLE with paper and pen. I guarantee if you can draw it you can quilt it.

Use a large dry erase on an eraser board. Do it over and over and over. You will be surprised as how it improves your freehand in a short period of time. I still draw or DOODLE daily always looking for a NEW path to stitch something out. Ideas will pop into your head faster than you can execute them. lol

PPP is important.

Hugs,

Grammie Tammie

Archived