Thread Breaking after 5 inches

I did about six quilts with no problems. I was starting to think this is how it works. No stitches look O.K. on top and bottom but I can only go about 5 inches and the top just breaks. The bobbin is fine and still attached. Tried new bobbin, needle, and rethreaded. I did put it in all three holes. Should I try something different. I wish there were some kind of number system on our tension. I've tried looser and tighter and I'm back to the same thing. It is so frustrating and I know it's user error but the user doesn't know what to do. I took a break and will return later to try and solve problem. I am so sad.

It sounds like you need to loosen the top thread but depending on the type of thread you're using there may be other suggestions. if it is the same thread as before then you should just have too loosen a good 1/2 turn or more. I'd also check my thread path to make sure the upper thread didn't get wrapped around the spring or is getting stuck on something.

Hi Cheryll,

Dawn Cavanaugh just did a thread on this issue 2 days ago. It was very helpful, I actually could quilt without much thread breakage anymore. I for one had one of the most problem until I talked to her last week. Email her on Monday, good luck

Corey

Hi Cheryll,

I went through this along with a lot of other c@#P making me crazy and it was actually a number of problems, not the least was 2 cones of thread that must have bad spots in them. I was furstrated but thanks to Christy at APQS last evening we seem to be ok now.

I had a burr on my bobbin casing finger, my bobbin collar had loosened up due to use, tension went wacky on top and bottom for no reason except I guess it's spring! Adjusting the collar moved the timing so we adjusted that too.

The best advice I can give you is search for thread breakage here on the forum, take your needle plate off and clean out in there, check for burrs or any rough spots. Try a different thread on top and in the bobbin, re-thread the top, and be patient. Sometimes it's one thing and others it's a few. Sometimes it's just better to walk away from the machine for a bit.

Because of the bad thread I will be frogging for awhile, I do it in small increments so that I don't go crazy! :D

I thank heaven for my DH, he has the patience and the knowledge to go thru all the steps to make my Millie ok.

Hi,

I was having the same problem and thought maybe I should just give up quilting and take up pole dancing. Ha, ever see a 72 year old on a pole! that would be a sight to behold.

Anyway, timing was my problem. Set the timing and my thread quit breaking.

Pat:cool:

Georgia Gal

Originally posted by PattyC

I was having the same problem and thought maybe I should just give up quilting and take up pole dancing. Ha, ever see a 72 year old on a pole! that would be a sight to behold.

Georgia Gal

:P:P:P I guess the rollers could be adapted for pole dancing! Too funny, Pat!!

Originally posted by PattyC

Anyway, timing was my problem. Set the timing and my thread quit breaking.

Georgia Gal

WooHOO! You go girl!!! Make sure someone takes pictures so that you can share.

I just used a Maderia and initially it did the same thing. Play with the tension is the only thing to do. This needed a very loose top tension and a tightened the lower tension just a bit.

I never thought I would make heads or tails of tension. I was much to timid in the beginning.

Archived