blocking & binding

meg_marsh

Well - it is washed and blocked - without the binding - what a pain. My place is so small, it was hard to find a place to put the form boards .......... finally found a place and the quilt is drying as we speak. Thank you for all your suggestions. This quilt was only 60 x 60. I hope I never have to figure out where to block a big quilt!!! Condos are not conducive to this industry. Already have a shorter table - 10'. But I keep telling myself that shorter is better than 0'!!!!!

Just finished a wall hanging on Saturday, put the binding on, washed the quilt and :( ....The binding shrank! I had prewashed everything except the binding fabric. I'm not sure if I can even block it now and get it straight because the binding is so tight! Do you think I should rewet the quilt and try to block it? I'm thinking about taking the binding off and doing it over. The quilting turned out great though. It was my first attempt at Kim Brunner's Whirly Twirly quilting. There wasn't much definition in the quilting,I used Quilter's Dream Cotton. I have an identical pieced top and will put that on the machine this afternoon with some Hobbs Wool batting that I want to try. I'm planning on quilting it exactly like the first one and I'm anxious to see the difference the batting will make.

I too would try washing it and seeing if you can stretch it out. You can always take off the binding once it is wet. It really is a pain. I recently had a problem with the wedding quilt I made for my son. I had washed and blocked prior to putting the binding on. Put the binding on and it was the friendliest quilt you have ever seen! I took off the binding and started again. Then I decided the binding was too stiff so I re-washed and blocked again. It really made it hang right though!

I brought this thread back up so you would know how my binding disaster turned out! I rewet the quilt and blocked the quilt. I pinned it down with what seemed like a thousand pins making sure everything was really square. I really had to stretch the binding to get it square and then I didn't touch it for 3 days. I wanted to be sure it was REALLY dry. It came out perfectly square and flat! Thanks for all the advice. I'm glad I didn't have to do the binding all over again!

Originally posted by Betsy

I brought this thread back up so you would know how my binding disaster turned out! I rewet the quilt and blocked the quilt. I pinned it down with what seemed like a thousand pins making sure everything was really square. I really had to stretch the binding to get it square and then I didn't touch it for 3 days. I wanted to be sure it was REALLY dry. It came out perfectly square and flat! Thanks for all the advice. I'm glad I didn't have to do the binding all over again!

When you do this, does the blocking only keep it square until the next time it is washed? I'm trying to figure out when your customer washes the quilt, will they have to go through that process each time or not?

The answer is yes in my opinion. If your going to hang the top after washing you will need to block it square so it will dry flat and hang beautifully on the wall. I would. No way will they maintain that perfect sqauare after washing in my experience. The good thing is that the customer will get the job to do it. lolol

I don't block my utiltarian quilts at all. They get used and washed alot. I do however steam them and flattenen them out some when I want that crisper look on the bed. It only takes a few minutes to do this and this works with smaller managable quilts too.

I generally don't wash the binding but I have spritzed it with water and let it dry before cutting to get some strink before preparing it. I haven't had any trouble with doing this way myself. Sometimes the color is a factor when I'm deciding.

Hugs Grammie

The reason I asked that question is that I'm trying to figure this out. After looking at your answers, I'm thinking that if you had the ideal quilt...one where the fabric had been prewashed, the quilt was square when you get it, you kept it square when quilting it, then this wouldn't be such an issue unless it was a show quilt. Is that right? I guess a drag-around quilt wouldn't really matter that much only if you're looking at it hanging somewhere?

Thanks for the input!

Hi Eula. Well, if your quilt top is square and you quilt it, you may still get a wavy quilt that is caused by the quilting process. So blocking the quilt will make it lay flat again after the quilting process. It doesn't have to be a show quilt. It could just be a wall quilt or even a table topper that you want to lay nice and flat. Blocking it will get it to lay nice and flat again (or hang straight), regardless of whether it's a show quilt or a wall decoration at home. But I do agree that one that will be tossed on a bed or dragged around by a toddler. Nope...not worth the effort.

Archived