What size do you use?

I just finished a queen size quilt for a lady that measured 86X92. She was thrilled with it until she got it home. Then she emailed me and said she'd paid for a queen size but her mattress showed all the way around. I have offered her $50.00 back because I don't need an unhappy customer but..... could it be I am using the wrong size chart or do you think it may be because she has a pillow-top mattress? What size do you use as your standard for a queen-size quilt? Also aren't comforters larger?:o:o

I'm going to be making a queen size quilt for friends in the near future. I took her and her tape measure to the bedroom and we measured how much drop she wants on her quilt (18"), so it will be 96 X 96 finished. I have found you can't just use a standard queen "size." You really have to measure how much drop they want. Did you make the quilt or just quilt it?

When making a custom quilt for a customer, I always go to their house and do the measurements myself. Just because they say its a queen or a king that's them going with a manufacture label. ALL mattresses have different depths and as you mentioned maybe she has one of the deeper ones with the really fluffy pillowtop on it.

I learned a long time ago never to take a customers word for that or even their measurements.

Also has she washed it already and did she maybe shrink it...that's something else I leave into account for...shrinkage.

I measure for the top make the final border 5-10% more than what I want the finished quilt to be. I wash it, dry partially in the dryer and then let air dry the rest. The customer then gets a shrunken quilt and they never know it was way bigger before washing it, nor do they see all the spray starch that I use to make points sharp and crisp while sewing and quilting. Then I give them a form stating how to take care of the quilt and should it shrink anymore than it has at that moment that I'm then not liable for it as I can not control what they or their house staffs do it.

Was this a commissioned quilt?

If you made a standard size quilt and she didn't send you the dimensions she wanted, you are not obligated to refund any money---BUT--it is never good to have an unhappy customer!

Several solutions come to mind--

She can use the quilt with a plain bedspread underneath.

You can offer to make her a detachable "bed skirt" that affixes to the underside of the quilt on three sides that will extend to the floor. Attaching with velcro or basting stitches works well for ease of laundering. This would entail her purchasing the extra fabric and then you could negotiate whatever labor you would have in the project.

Make her another quilt at her prefered size. This would also entail negotiating with her about the first quilt--who owns it, who gets re-imbursed for what, etc.

I guess the lesson learned is that there's always something that can go wrong!! Long-distance business is tricky sometimes.

My story is about a heavily-quilted top that shrunk about 4 inches both directions after quilting. It had "fit perfectly" before quilting/laundering and my customer was distraught. I hadn't even thought to warn her before I took in the top--I assumed she knew it would draw up some and then the shrinkage after washing was even more drastic. She learned a lesson--and me too! She uses the quilt on her bed with a plain white woven spread underneath and was happy with that solution.

I have a "Quilt-Sizes" chart and then we used a queen size mattress at my house to measure and it was more than generous. But HER mattress must a big pillow-top. I am giving her a refund and a note saying how sorry I am. We started off going to do a double bed size quilt and when I was almost done she changed to it a queen. I have learned a big lesson!!!!

Dib, why should you have to give her a refund for her error? I know you want to keep customers happy, but not at a lose to yourself when you didn't error. If you measured at your home and she didn't mention that her bed depth might be thicker, her mistake. To me a queen measures about 96 inch square, so the measurement you gave above is a little smaller, but again your lady agreed to the size you made. I think it wouldn't matter what you do for this lady she will complain and want compensation. Its just they way some people operate.

Guest Linda S

I tend to use Harriet Hargrave's measurements for a "bedspread." See the bottom of the page referenced here: Quilt sizes

P.S. I forgot to say that I use these to make sure the quilt is plenty big. I got a quilt from my sisters for my 40th birthday (long ago) meant for my queen sized bed and it is WAY too small.

Linda

I don;t use names, it's too confusing. II have measurements and that it what I work to. People have very different ideas of how things should fit and it is a lot easier to insist on an actual measurement and then stick to it. Sorry you've had to learn it the hard way, but it does make the lessons stick. I take the view I am allowed to get anything wrong once. If I make the same mistake again I deserve everything I get :)

For my king size bed I like 90" x 130", the 130" goes across the bed to accommodate all the quilt hogs (cats). I don't need the extra length we just trip over it. There is no way I would expect people to guess that though.

Ferret

If you went by the standard size for a queen size quilt. I don't think you owe any apologies to the customer. IF you can show her what the queen sizes are, where you got your information, you should be covered.

It might help to have an actual number on any future orders...who would have thought a standard size would get you in trouble. AARGH

That's my only mistake when I take a quilt, not measuring it right in front of the customer. They say it's a lap but it measures bigger than a twin. I've learned to measure twice and never just take anyone's word before I quote a price or order batting!

I cuss my mattress everytime I change the sheets, the sheets barely fit and I don't think they make king size big enough for the newer mattresses! :o

Originally posted by kimmiequilts

I cuss my mattress everytime I change the sheets, the sheets barely fit and I don't think they make king size big enough for the newer mattresses! :o

You need to read the packages...they have them now for deep mattresses...the fitted packages should have it marked as..."Deep Pocket". If it doesn't state that they are for a standard thickness mattress and are only about 12-14" inches deep. Pillowtops and now the ones that don't have foundations need to use the "DP's" Those are the mattresses that are 17" inches and deeper.

I've bought "deep pocket sheets a couple times from places like TJ Maxx. They DON"T FIT!! One set was about 6" too short. I took them back, and then had a hassle because I opened the package. DUH?? How else am I going to get them washed?? Good thing I tried them on before washing! One set for sure was made in India. Maybe their sizes are different. It said "queen", but was more of a short queen. Another set I bought was king, and of course I washed them. They didn't fit at all. So I took apart one of the big pillowcases and added enough so it fits fine now! Learned my lesson! Now I only buy Laura Ashley or Ralph Lauren.

That is true, our mattress sizes aren't the same as the UK or other countries.... In fact the Queen sized bed in the UK is just about the same size as our California King... and their Super King is just about 3 inches longer than our Eastern King..... Now do they have the thicker mattresses and require the deeper pockets I haven't a clue, but I do know from working in a furniture store that sometimes the BeautyRest people would get the orders mixed up and we would get a UK matt in and it really looked different compared to the others in size.

With TJ Maxx's stores they do get some great stuff in them, but they are also known to get miss sized and miss cut stuff, like the seconds of top end products. I agree getting a higher thread count is a better quality sheet....

I have never heard of an Eastern King size before. Learn something new every day!

I am also one of those who is glad to spend the extra money to buy high thread count quality sheets. They last you a life time and get softer and softer by the washing. Oh and they feel so sooo good to sleep in!!! I'm spoiled now and won't go back!

Hi Bonnie, did you do your sleep study this past weekend? I do have deep pocket sheets from Land's End! We threw out the old pillow top and bought a new mattress w/o the pillow and it's just a thick or thicker than the pillow top was! :o

I just love the comforter sets that the catalogs list without any measurements, as we know every mattress is different! Give me the numbers and make those top sheets longer!:(

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

Bonnie, how do you always know all this stuff? You have an inside track to information. I want to get on that track!!!

Sylvia, :P;) I use to work in a furniture store...I was the special orders admin and was responsible for all the trucks coming and going...and knew every buyer from Memphis to LA that we dealt with.

Shana....the Eastern King beds were first on the market about 1971, and it wasn't until the California WATERBEDS came out in the 80's that the mattress market got onto the band wagon and started making California Kings regular beds because people after a few years decided they didn't like the water part and needed a mattress to drop into the water bed frame.

An Eastern King when originally made years ago they were about 80" square where they are now 76" x 80" and a California king is narrower, but longer they are 72" x 84". AND buying sheets for these two different beds is a huge PITA...I have one of each and they do not take the same sheets.

I have an English Super king sized bed & an English king-size(almost the same as an American Queen - but not quite) and an American Queen size. I thought I was the only one having trouble finding sheets to fit! Some how, telling my husband I have to make a trip 'home' to buy new sheets just doesn't work!

Anne H in Stowe, VT

Archived