background suggestions please

Depending on how big the blocks are...stippling, McTavishing, or something with a wispy movement.... for large blocks.

IF they are smaller and you don't have much room around the dresses, then as Sheri suggested...echo although I would only go 1/4 away and only once.... with SID in all the seams of the sashing....

Originally posted by hmerrill

I would probably cross-hatch them and put a pretty feather border in the sashing.

and Heidi you don't want her to quilt again either do you...;):P;) Crosshatching all those squares would totally scare me away forever...

No, Kay I'm just teasing here......that actually would be a great thing...now why hadn't I thought of it. Well, maybe its because I just quilted a 70" square with basketweave and don't want to see that stencil anytime soon.:P;):cool::P

Thanks for all of your suggetions, I'll try to get the borders on tomorrow. Oh, it is tomorrow, after 1:00 pm here. Had a crazy day, couldn't sleep. Lay there for an hour then came down to the studio. I'll pay for this later today. I'm leaning toward the feather idea in the sashings. Some kinda McTavishing in the blocks. I haven't done that much so I need to practice a bit before I try that!

No suggestions from me because you already have some great ideas. Just wanted to tell you that I think the quilt is really neat. You chose the perfect pattern for their grandmother's house dresses. I don't remember my grandmother wearing anything other than house dresses. They will treasure this quilt. Great job. Post pictures when you're done so we can see how it turned out!

Yes Elita, I created the pattern.

I have a quilt designing program (quilt 1,2,3) and do a design packet for all my commissioned works. The program will calculate all the numbers, yardages patterns, etc. Then I send this to my client so they can go purchase the fabrics they will need. My clients tell me they love getting all this information on paper so they don't forget something and they know exactly what I'm going to do. Works out great, I get everything I need to do the project, they have peace of mind that the design is well thought out and they know exactly what to get with no waste.

The dress blocks are 12" finished, so there is a lot of space around the dresses. The dresses are 10 1/2" x 5". If anyone wants the pattern they can e-mail me. The patterns is $10.00.

Kay

Kay,

That is a darling idea for using someone's old dress materials in a quilt. I love it! You did good. If and when I get caught up on all my UFO's, I might give you a shoutout to get the pattern, but right now I have too many irons on the fire, as they say to even think about it. It sounds like you are a night owl too. I get so much more done when I can skip sleep!:P:P Can't wait to see how you do the backgounds.

Archived