Hartley expanded base

I've had my green Millie for about 7 weeks and am really enjoying it! I've done some practice on muslin, several baby quilt panels, and a few real quilts that will probably be donated to charity. I decided each time I load a new quilt now I am going to try something new. Today it was the Hartley expanded base. I didn't have a problem with the base while going across the top of the quilt, but along the sides I'm having trouble because of the clamps, and they interfere with the base. How do others use the expanded base when working along the sides of a quilt? I tried removing the clamps but then I didn't get the tension that was needed. I did use just one clamp, made the line of stitching and continued to move the clamp. Any advice you can give will be appreciated!

Get a couple of inexpensive curtain rods, and slip them under the elastic of the clamps, with the ends curling down on either side of the rollers. Move the rods close to the edge of your quilt - that will keep the clamps up and out of your way as you quilt. I know there are lots of ways out there to do this - some have pinned or basted leaders to their quilt sides - so you're likely to get lots of answers to this question! Just find the one that works for you....

Thanks, Barb! I have the curtain rods sitting at the end of the frame and didn't use them because I was concerned about how high they raised the quilt sandwich in relation to the base. I'll just give it a try tomorrow! When I visited Margie and Brad Wakefield, they were using the curtain rods so DH found a pair in the garage for me to use. He thought they might scratch the frame poles so he put pipe insulation around them. Bless his heart! :D The consummate re-engineer-er!

For those quilts that don't quite have the width of backing, or to keep the Hartley base extender from bumping the clamps I made two cloth side extenders. I have used the curtain rod method as well, but sometimes these work a bit better for me. Especially with some community quilts that only have a few inches of backing fabric showing.

I used an old yard stick and some fabric from my stash. Measure the distance between your middle roller and take up roller and deduct approx. 4.5" to take into account the quilt as it rolls will take up some of the space between the two rollers.

Make a hem in the fabric and insert your cut yard sticks on the outer edge where your clamps will be. The fabric is approx. 12" wide. I pin it onto the edge of the quilt backing which extends it just enough that I don't bump into the clamps. I clamp onto the yard stick in the sleeve. It does take a bit of extra time to pin and unpin the quilt backing, but it's worth it. The added bonus is very even side tension on the quilt backing. I use these cloth side extenders frequently for just that reason (even when I don't need them).

Here is a picture:

post--13461901589199_thumb.jpg

The curtain rods work great - got mine at the thrift store!!!

Yard sticks will fall off as you advance the quilt.

I just turned mine around, pin the elastic ends to the quilt and let the clamps hang down.... much lighter that way, works for me! Good Luck!

Archived