How do you continue feathers around corners of border

here's how i turn the corners on mine. on the outside of the spine , you just bring in the bottom closer to the start of the last one. i mark (with chalk) the 'miter' and butt the insides ones up against it. i'll post a pic of it quilted as well...

hope this helped/s

post--13461901752617_thumb.jpg

Michelle - I use a similar method as Shannon. When I approach a curve, I know tht when I have to make the turn, I make a smaller feather and then the next one dort of wraps around it.

You mentioned that you spine is thready. Do you drawn the spine first?

I took a Dawn Cavanaugh class (one of many I have attended) for feathers. I found out that my comfort zone is doing feathers is from the bottom up. I can do top down but I have to really concentrate.

I think most folks start their spine and then wave it however the want and end it with the last feather. I do just the opposite. I put my needle down an inch or so from where I want my last feather and that is where I stitch an ending feather, it looks like a balloon with the string sideways. Then I stitch the rest of the spine back to the beginning, where I want to start the feathers.

The other thing that Dawn taught me is that you don't want to touch the spine. If you start out bringing your feather back to the spine, then you have to do that with all your feathers or one that doesn't touch will stick out like a sore thumb. So I bring my feather return back close enough to launch into the next feather. You may need to shorten your feather return line to avoid that thread build-up ni the spine.

Here is a drawing. Quite awful but it gets the point across.

post--13461901753015_thumb.jpg

jerigirl-

it depends. if the thread matches REALLY well and i can totally camo my starts and stops, i'll do each border as i advance the quilt. if not- like the black border with green vari thread- i'll quilt all the inner patchwork, then do the border last. i chalk the spine for "training wheels" (kim brunner's termology) then i stitch the entire spine, then i feather the inside (the side closest to the quilt piecing) then i do the outside (closest to the quilt top's raw edge. if done this way- the entire border is continious (imagine one BIG feather wreath) but be careful- double check your backing with every advance! if you're not paying total careful attention to the backing fabric- you'll get pleats and puckers in the backing.

and i DO quilt my feathers from the bottom up. i never can get the look i want from doing them top down. also- i don't do the bump-bump-backtrack-on-the-spine type. i backtrack on the backbone and belly of the feather. this is easy for me- but try doodling it different ways. you'll find your way and the will instantly become like second nature.

clear as mud right? :)

post--1346190175357_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by doodlebug

you'll find your way and the will instantly become like second nature.

Your silly, I'm still trying to find my second, third and fourth. I am getting better, but can't hold a candle to you girlfriend.:cool:

Shannon..........thanks so much. I think I GOT it!! I will try it and see how I do.

Am I correct to assume that you quilt the feathers up the side as you roll your quilt, then turn the quilt to do the top and bottom borders?

I do not do the bump, bump type feather either.....unless I am trying to do the twirly whirly feathers by Kim. Then I get confused and do a few traditional and a few bump bump. Oh my........so much to learn.

no- i don't turn quilts. tried it once and swore i'd never do it again. i have a millie with a motorized advance, so i just go backwards ad forwards all aways around the quilt.

until i figure something else out that works better, that's how i do it. takes some extra time and effort, but it's how i roll...

Michelle, I can't wait to see it!!

Shannon, I am drawing out your pictures!! You are such a talented young lady!! Thank you so much for sharing your ideas and the way to do them with us! linda I would LOVE to take some class from you!!:)

Originally posted by JoAnnHoffman

Too much trouble turning corners. I work from the corner to the middle of the quilt, that way I never have to turn my quilt.

JoAnn... Do you mark the centers of the top, bottom and sides so that when you go to the next row you know when you are getting to the center of the sides? And then do you work from the bottom back up to the side centers to finish? Just wondering about your process.

I mark the four centers of each border, most the time when it's on the machine. I mark my 45 degree angle in the corner with air erase pen or Brunzeel chalk pencil. For the spine I mark it with the June Taylor Fancy Fleece ruler you can find at Hancock Fabrics for cutting fleece with a rotary cutter. It has the perfect smooth curve on one side and a scallop on the other. With this quilt I marked some lines to follow along the edge so I could put in an echo but most the time I feather to the edge and stitch in the ditch. I don't mark the feathers until I get about 6 inches from the end and then I stop and draw some in so they don't come out squished looking.

Because I stitch in the ditch and baste my sides I wait to quilt the feathers from the bottom up to the side centers when I get to the bottom border. I roll as I go till I get to the center then I roll back and start at the bottom again and work my way to the center again. I never try and go up one side and down the other with feathers. My feathers always look better from the bottom up on a spine.

I think I will try from the center out next time like Shannon showed.

Awesome Hankie quilt JoAnn! I do my feathers all of the ways described, depends on the quilt and the look I am going for. It's so nice to have the freedom to quilt it as we like! Shannon your diagrams are great as is you quilting! I do the roll forward and back rather than turn the quilt too!

Archived