How do you try-out?

WendyJ

Hi there all more experienced quilters,

Right now I'm ppp-ing, but I will put on a little quilt for mothers-day this afternoon. I know that while doing it I get great ideas to do some this or that. How do you try the little things in your head? Directly on the quilt? Take the quilt off and put a practice sandwich on? Do you do a check on tension before you start quilting on the top? Where, in the marging?

WendyJ

I have a white board with dry erase markers where I try something out. Early on I learned that if I could draw it on a white board, then I could quilt it. Most of the times when I quilt a new design on a quilt, I've practiced it for awhile on a white board first. Another thing that I do is lay clear vinyl over the quilt and draw on it. This lets me see what the design will look like on the quilt.

Regarding the tension, I keep a small sandwich about 24" square that I use to test the tension before I start any quilt and when I change threads on a quilt. I just slip it between the rollers off to the side of the quilt and hold it in place while I quilt a test.

Hope this helps.

Hi Wendy,

Like Debbi---I have a dry erase white board I practice my design on first. Over and over again. I also doodle on a tablet that I keep here by my computer. Sometimes I will see a design here on the forum, or a book cover ---and I will sit here and doodle it out.

I also keep a file of close up quilting design pictures. I copy/paste those pictures with the designs for future reference.

Like Debbi, I also have a thick piece of plastic approx. 15" square. The edges have been taped with blue painters tape and I sometimes draw a design on this plastic, and then lay it on the quilt top to see how it will look.

The best practicing experiences I've had that have greatly improved my quilting are the community quilts our guild makes, and also my Mini group makes to give to charities. I've also done some quilts for the Quilts of Valor organization. Quilting on these community quilts has given me the wonderful opportunity to not only help complete quilts, but help the guild too.

Practice as much as you can on paper, dry erase board and on actual quilts. You can buy completed quilt tops on eBay quite reasonably if you want to practice on an actual quilt. Also pre-printed baby quilt panels are great to practice on. If you don't want to keep them afterwards, you can donate them local shelters.

There is no magic silver bullet that gets you from point A---to point Z in X amount of time. The process of honing you skills is ongoing---like forever!

There is always some new technique to learn and practice. I love machine quilting. Probably way more than the cutting and piecing of the quilt now------ You have to love doing it, and being successful at it takes a lot of practice.

Have fun! ;)

Edit: I forgot to mention my TOWA bobbin tension gauge. If you havn't invested in one---do so when you can. I wouldn't be without my TOWA gauge! It's the best machine quilting accessory I have purchased over the years. It has saved me countless hours of frustration and bobbin tension experimenting and testing.

I use a piece 18x24" of 1/10th inch plexiglass that has the raw edges covered with duct tape. I place this over my quilt that is on the frame and draw on the board with washable crayola markers. I can see what the design looks like on the quilt. I can erase and keep drawing till something I like comes to mind. Works great for me. I adapted this idea from Doodlebug (Shannon).

• 1 month later...

I find I can't draw thing until I can quilt them so I try everything on fabric first. Quite often these days I come up with new ideas for a customers quilt and try it straight on it. If it goes wrong I will have to frog it, but so far so good. I really am much better at getting things from my head to fabric than I am from my head to paper.

Ferret

I have a quilt hanger with a 48x60 piece of batting covered with a piece of clear plastic. I put the quilt between the two layers and draw with a dry erase marker. I can erase and try new patterns until I find what works. Then I remove the quilt and if I forget what I was going to do in an area (which happens ALL the time) I just refer to the plastic.

2323403710102757096S425x425Q85.jpg

Love the idea Julie, but, as you know, I have no more room left on my walls for something that big! Jason had to make "another" pegboard, that i've attached to my antique thread cabinet (the side of it) as I needed more places to hang my tools, etc.

Wish I did have the room tho.

I use the plexiglass and Crayola Washable Markers.

Archived