Thinking about buying

I had the original Handi Quilter, realized almost immediately why it wasn't enough for me and waited to get my Millie. The reasons I chose APQS was the helpful staff, no matter how many shows I went to and how many questions I asked they were always giving of their time and expertise.

The quality and the feel of the machines were key and I love that all the moving parts are inside the machine case, it's so dusty when we quilt that this is important to me. The service team at APQS is top notch, they get back to you ASAP always and work through your glitches or problems on the phone, until you get it!

I love my machine and I've had it for 4 years now. It's in Iowa getting tweaked and cleaned as I write this and I can't wait for her to be home with me again!

Eileen, I also had the Handi Quilter and had the same experience that Kim did, I knew that one day I wanted a real long arm. I took my time and finally decided on a Millenium for several reasons. First, I was impressed with the product. It seemed very sturdy. Then I took a few classes in Paducah and was able to play with different machines. After reading this forum and talking with several well known quilters such as Karen McTavish, I made my choice. I haven't regretted it one minute. The machine is very intimidating but I will learn to use it. I've only had mine a few months but am taking classes at MQS this week. I know that there are several great machines out there, but I was most impressed with APQS. Anyway, I'm a newbie also but sure love my Millie.

Virginia:)

I had a friend who had a APQS and she had said that her husband said that belt driven was better than gear driven. I liked the idea that it is made of material that is strong but light. It is easy to move and the people that I have talked to at the factory as well as the dealer were very helpful. I am pleased with the Millennium and wouldn't trade it for any other make of machine.

Charlotte

I tried out a older machine that a friend had. Then I lurked on this forum for months and then took the plunge and got a Millenium. There is soooo much help on the forum and if that doesn't work just call APQS and they can talk you through almost anything. The support is fantastic! :)

Julie

I previously owned a Gammill Optimum Plus. I always had trouble with the stitches flat lining and a few other tension problems that never seemed to get straightened out even with talking to the Tech person. I had trouble guiding the machine because of the weight. Although I did love the throat space on the machine it was just too big and too heavy.

I sold it after my sister passed away because I had decided not to quilt. But that didn't last too long. My second machine was a Millie then I added a Liberty. Now, I have traded in the Millie for a Freedom SR. I think that this is the best machine for me. It is lighter than the Millie and moves more freely than the Millie. I don't need the vertical channel lock. The Freedom comes with a manual horizontal channel lock which is just fine by me. I also have a CQ on my Freedom that was purchased for my business 3 years ago. If I was still in business I would sell the CQ and purchase the APQS Quilt Studio, but I can not afford to do that. I love my Liberty and use it for detailed work. The only draw back of the Liberty is the throat space, other than that is is a gem. I am selling my Liberty only because I am no longer in business and don't need two machines.

Would I buy a Gammill again? No because I like the great service at APQS, the quality of the machine and everyone has been so great to work with when ever I have had an issue or problem I couldn't solve. Lets face it no machine is totally perfect.

Good luck on your decision. It was an easy one for me to make the switch to APQS.

Here are just a few of the award winning quilters that switched from Gammill to the APQS Millennium:

Karen McTavish

Kimmie Brunner

Myrna Ficken

Sherry Rogers-Harrison

Jane Ann Monroe (Houser)

Several years ago I taught a 3 day workshop to 4 Gammill Owners. It was in October, and by spring all 4 of them had sold their Gammill machines and switched to APQS Millenniums.

Since I've only owned APQS machines, I can't give you any reasons based on personal experience, but these quilters certainly could. In fact one of these award-winning quilers went from Nolting to Gammill to A-1 and when she got her APQS machine, she called and told me "I finally got it right!"

I was happy I "got it right" for ME, right from the beginning.

This isn't to say there aren't many quilters who are very happy with their Gammill machines, or that there aren't great award-winning quilters who own this brand. I've just seen many switch from Gammill to APQS, and don't recall hearing of anyone that switched the other direction. I'm sure there are some, but I don't personally know of any.

I have to echo that I picked APQS for the service! They are wonderful and no question is stupid. My millie has most of the bells and whistles and I wanted to give myself the best I could afford. This is it and I haven't looked back! I love it. :D

Another reason might be APQS is made in Carroll, IA USA by Americans and Gammill made in Taiwan by the Chinese. APQS is owned by three families and Gammill is owned by an investment company in New York. These are just some areas to consider. Pick an experienced local dealer to assist you with your purchase.

I researched alot of machines and what convinced me the APQS one was right was the response for service and this forum. It made a difference in my confidence level that I was getting a good machine, backed by a good American company.

I second John's recommendation to work with a good local dealer. I worked directly with the company, but recently had a dealer come out to service my machine and once the table was adjusted correctly my machine just did the GLIDE. I'm loving it so much hubby can't get me out of my studio.

And I can let you know that from personal experience the service is great. I have had my machine for 5 years and actually am considering an upgrade from the Liberty. I need the larger throat space of the Freedom or Millenium.

Good Luck

Guest Linda S

I did a lot of web surfing before buying a machine. I especially paid attention to repair records. You didn't see a lot of people having trouble with APQS machines and, when you did see a problem, it was fixed immediately. I bought my Liberty after trying a Millennium and deciding that it was just a tad too heavy for me. I've been in love with it ever since. I did have some problems at the beginning, and of course, it happened on a weekend. My dealer was at a Road Show with all the other APQS helpers, and found my post on line. She called me on a Sunday morning, and relayed my call to Mark Caraher, who called me from the airport on his way home. I was up and running again. To me, that is the ultimate in service. APQS goes the extra mile. And, in my opinion, they make the best stitch regulator on the market.

Linda

I have only owned a Millie. Love my machine but the biggest issue of all is support. I can't say enough about the constant and great support from this forum and the APQS company. The few issues I have had have been handled right away and easily. The phone support is superior & no question is too stupid or silly. I have been amazed how they can talk you through something that initially seems way above your head and when done - all is fixed and it was never that difficult. Just wonderful people. You could never go wrong.

That being said, I know there are other wonderful machines out there and maybe great support. I can only attest to my experience with APQS.

Hi, Eileen,

I had a Gammill Premier that I bought used prior to ordering my Millie. I only had the Gammill about 3 months prior to upgrading! While the Gammill was a good machine, the biggest reasons I switched aside from the size limitations of the Premier were stitch quality, tension issues, and the inability to use any thread I wanted. My Millie gives me beautiful stitches and now I can use all those beautiful threads! An added bonus for me is that the APQS machines are so much lighter than the Gammills. I have shoulder issues (just had surgery two months ago) and the weight of the machine makes a big difference! Add to all that the superior service from APQS and you can't go wrong! :cool:

I have never regretted upgrading to an APQS machine!

I have some health issues,one of which is fibromyalgia, which need me to either go computerized or lighter in weight. I can't justify the price of the Statler, IQ and CQ so I figured I'd go lighter. I've asked A-1, Prodigy and APQS about the weight of the machine. My Classic Plus weighs between 55 and 60 lb. Custom work is very painful and pantos only a bit less.

My first question was weight and then I contacted dealers. I'm going to test drive as many as I can because I want to make an informed decision.

I don't want to go to a smaller throat space, I do a lot of large pantos. I don't want to have to change my business drastically. I'm leaning toward the Freedom SR.

My Gammill has been good to me for almost 9 years; it just hurts too much.

eileenkny

I have a Liberty APQS and I have had absolutely no problems with it in the last 4years. I can tell you why I would not lilke a Gammill. The sound it has when it is running drives me crazy. When I watch u-tubes with a Gammill I can't stand it. I have even noticed it at shows when they are running. I just can't go there.

Please try test driving a computerized system too. If you are dealing with physical issues, you need to compare that option before you say you "can't justify the price." There are used computer systems out there.

Hope you find what will work best for you.

vg

Hi Victoria,

I did test drive them. I got to the point of have a price analysis handed to me by Hillbrook, who are Gammill dealers. DH and I looked at each other and both of us thought at the same time-"What the @#$% are we getting ourselves into?"

The way I look at it, I don't want to go into any more debt. DH is retiring in December, and his pay will drop drastically. If I were to go computerized, I'd have to finance a big chunk of money. If I can get a used machine that is lighter and smoother than the Gammill, I can sell the Gammill and buy one and not have to talk to a lender at all. Who knows, with everything I'd be selling with the machine, I might be able to afford a new Freedom SR.

eileenkny

Archived