Echo-Quilting on Hawaiian Appliques

Hawaii

Any tips???? I have 3 needle-turned Hawaiian mini-quilts that I need to complete on my machine.

Do I echo quilt with extended base and ruler for stability? Do I eye-ball using the foot as a guide? How far apart should my quilting lines be? Any examples? Anyone taking a vacation to Hawaii that would be willing to take a day for LongArm teaching??? (thought I'd throw that in, maybe I'll get lucky)

Is it a Hawaiian Quilt "law" that I have to use echo-quilting. Has anyone used a freehand fill to make these designs stand out?

I am clueless and living in Hawaii.:o

Dear Clueless in Hawaii,

I have no advice for you, except perhaps try doing some PPP freehand on some muslin and draw a practice piece of Applique to see if you can freehand the echo lines. I will tell you though, it takes a lot of practice and control to get those lines looking consistent and evenly spaced. If I were you, I would use a ruler to guide around to get more evenly spaced design echo. I think in the long run it might take more time quilting, but it would take less time ripping. Know what I mean jelly bean???

Hi Barbara.

I've done plenty of Hawaiian applique for a designer in NYC. It is very time consuming.

The easiest way to do this is using the hopping foot as a guide to keep the ehcoes 1/4" apart. Otherwise, it is difficult to get the echoes spaced evenly. I also found it easier and thought it looked cleaner to do spiral echoes rather than starting and stopping each echo. If you haven't done much echoing, you might put on a practice piece with some Hawaiian applique drawn in and just get the flow going before doing it on customer quilts.

If you do a search for Hawaiian applique you can see some pictures I posted of these panels. I can also send you some close up pictures via email if you want. Let me know.

I'd love to take a vaca to Hawaii. However, I just got back from MQS last week and married off my son several weeks ago. No time and no mulah!!

Are these customer quilts? If so, what does the customer want? I don't know if it's a "rule" or not but heck, rules are meant to be broken. I have one of my own to do someday (if I ever finish the applique) and I'm planning to do McTavishing in the background.

I've done a lot of Hawaiian applique, still working on the blocks in fact. I ordered about 6 books on the subject. Most are from Poakalani and John Serrao. They are major hawaiian quilt people there. They are in Honolulum. Phone 808-521-1568. Website is www.poakalani.com

There is a tremendous amount of tradition and spirituall significance to Hawaiian applique., it's a real Hawaiian legacy. Another author is Elizabeth Root. Her designs use less trditional fabric combinations. Google her and decide which matches the one you have to do. I'd be careful since you are. in Hawaii where this is a pretty big deal. Example it's traditional to echo about a finger width apart, and the applique is all one color, ans certain colors are bad luck or negative. Of course they are talking about hand quilting and needle turn applique. I bet aphone call would get answers for you on machine quilting which might. be different. I'd really be interested in hearing what you learn! HTH!

Oh boy! Caroline, I don't know what advice to give on this as I have never echoed around a Hawaiian quilt. Perhaps someone here with more knowledge would pipe up and give good advice. My hunch would be (if you chose to use a ruler) to use a small ruler that is not too big but not too small so you grasp it comfortably in your hand and can slide and move it along to fit the echo lines you want to fill.

But if you felt you were in good control you might do OK freehanding it without a ruler.

Somebody please help me!! :D

I would not use a ruler to do the echo around Hawaiian applique. The blocks I've done have lots of curves and I think it would be difficult to get smooth curves using a ruler. I just use the hopping foot as a guide along the previous echo.

Don't try to watch the hopping foot itself or you lines will not be smooth. I watch the stitching line from the previous echo just ahead of where I am stitching and I get nice smooth, evenly spaced echo lines. I also try to go to slow or to fast. To slow and you don't smooth lines. Too fast and you get out of control. Just find a nice steady pace and you get into the groove pretty quickly. I've done echoes with and without the stitch regulator.

Thank you ALL. Will load up a practice piece first.

These are NOT customer quilts, but they might as well be. A dear friend keeps sending my these needle-turned blocks, they are beautiful and I do NOT want to wreck them with my half-okole'd attempts at out of control echo-quilting!

I just ordered Deloa's appli-guide last week so I'm looking forward to trying it out when it get here. Seems like I made a good choice (my first ruler aside from the ones that came with the base extender). My quilt is not Hawaiian, but just regular (simple) applique hearts. I think I'm going to practise both methods - the guide and the use of the hopping foot as a guide and see which one works for me. Thanks again to everyone.

First Try at Echo-quilting and using some of my new "toys".

Circle Lord Feathered Wreath; Mary Beth's Swag Rulers.

King Tut, So Fine (for echo-quilting), Quilters Dream Puff.

Struggled with keeping my echoing consistent and tried to do it without the SR, but did had more control with the SR on.

Thanks for all your encouragement and help!

Night Shot

2312740630070690845S500x500Q85.jpg

Day Shot

2071616670070690845S500x500Q85.jpg

Archived