Calling Arizona (Hot Climate) Quilters

Hi.

I have a customer with a twin size quilt top for her grandson. He lives in Arizona. What batt do you use for such hot weather? The customer is concerned he will be too hot with her usual poly or QD Request cotton. Being from New Jersey, I do not know but told her I have friends who will!

Thanks very much.

Lisa

APQS Liberty

NW NJ

Not from Arizona, but had a friend who was and she used everything...from Hobbs 80/20, Dream Cottons, to the cheap polys you get at JoAnns and Walmart.... The nights can get a bit chilly in Arizona depending on where you are and how high in the mountains you are. The deserts don't hold the heats like the grounds do here so even in the summers the nights can get very chilly... When living in Reno, we would always turn off the swamp coolers at sundown and at nights we always had a light quilt on the bed, but I was at 6000 feet as well.

I use lots of Hobbs 80/20. I also use Warm and White. Almost anything is fine. Even if it is hot outside, we use lots of AC and fans. The winters do get cold, especially if you are in the higher elevations - Prescott, Flagstaff, Payson, Pinetop, etc. Even Tucson is cooler than Phoenix.

I know lots of people use wool. To me it is a personal preference but anything goes.

Sue in Scottsdale, AZ

Everyone is right about the desert, the temperatures can drop around 30 degrees at night and because of the heat most people have their homes pretty well airconditioned. I made a quilt for my sister who lives in Las Vegas where it gets very hot and I used a thin cotton batting. When doing research everyone told me wool would be the best because of the breathability but I couldn't find one I liked locally and needed it quick. She is very happy with her quilt but still removes it in the hottest months. She just sleeps with a sheet and said she would like a quilt with no batting. I read here you can actually do that so maybe I will make her one some day.

Also Sue is right, there are parts of Arizona where it gets downright cold in the winter.

Hope that helps.

We sleep with the patio door half open at night. It sometimes drops to 50s in May, more like 70s later in summer. Cotton is always cool because it breathes. That is what is on my bed right now, Quilter's Dream cotton Select.

Last week, we finally pulled the QD wool quilt off the bed and washed it to store until October when the nights start getting cool again here.

Wool is so lightweight and like cotton, it breathes. I know poly or part-poly is warm but it does not breath and I end up kicking it off at night because I get sweaty instead of curling up warm and cozy under it.

Sue is right. Use any batting in AZ. I have wool on my bed and I live in the Phoenix area. We stay cool with AC and fans and the desert does not cool much at night in this area in the summer. I use all types of batting in client quilts. Wool and cotton will breathe and are probably a better choice than poly in the hotter areas.

Sherry Jack

Gold Canyon, AZ

This may be a bit different perspective, but I don't rely on my quilts for comfort. I use them for decorative purposes first. If I'm cold I throw on a giant commercial comforter and put the quilt on top. If I'm too warm, I take the comforter off and leave just the quilt. Most of my quilts are cotton--QD and WW/WN. Our winters can be freezing, and the summer usually brings one or two weeks above 90. The rest of the time, one or two quilts are comfortable. And this isn't even Arizona.:D

I live on the New Mexico/Mexico border and nights from late April through September are warm. So warm, in fact, that most of us in desert climates usually need air conditioning 24/7, so that should be taken into consideration. That being said, 80/20 is my "go - to" choice. Everyone seems to like the weight and drape or if not 80/20, then I opt for wool if customers are looking for more loft (and they are up for the added $$).

Thank you for all the help!

She said they have 112 degree days there! I guess with a 4 year old boy, she figures naps and snuggling will be common. The last one she gave him (hand pieced and hand quilted) had a QD poly batt...the mom said it was too hot, so the Grandma is trying to do her best.

Lisa

APQS Liberty

NW NJ

Archived