Empty Spools Seminars - Asilomar

I can't give you tons of info, never having gone; but...

a chance to sew for five days with tons of instruction and examples/demos from different teachers every night, a chance to shop at the venue, so far, it all sounds good.

Personally, the only class I feel wouldn't be worth the money is the one where you take a project you haven't finished yet to work on. I can do that anywhere and not pay so much; I want someone to show me something new that I haven't done before.

But...ask me next February, and I'll answer all your questions then...unless you come along!!

I went in 2007. I took fusible applique with Laura Wasilosky. I had a blast. the rooms are nice and the food is good and the location is just perfect. Monterey is a very special place. The quilt shop in town is fabulous. Now for your questions.

1. You have to take supplies to sew on. they will provide a supply list.

2. They don't supply anything unless it is specified and you will pay an extra fee.

3. You might not take a finished project home it just depends on what you take.

4. You will waste your time if you try to shop during class time. there are a few vindors in one of the buildings and they bring some nice fabric. Save shopping for after classes. Class goes from I think 9-4. I didn't leave till I was ready to head out and then shopped in town.

5. this is not a thing to relax at. It's too expensive to want to relax at. Everyone is very focused on what the class is about. There are programs in the evening it is a very focused time. That is part of what is so special no cooking, laundry , or other demands.

Monterey is a hard place to get to if you are flying but coming from Oregon you could easily drive and I would recommend driving so you can easily take all your sewing stuff. It is hard to fly with mats, machines and all of our stuff. I do it but it's nicer to drive. For flyers you fly into San Jose is the closest bigger airport. then rent a car and drive to Monterey. It is a beautiful drive. There may be a shuttle but then you can shop as easily with no car.

If you have any speciafic questions send me an email .

There is an airport in Monterey but it usually costs more to fly in and out of there. Depending on where you fly from, you may have to lay over in San Francisco or LA.

There are a couple of nice quilt shops in Pacific Grove, Back Porch and The Handmaiden, and a large one in Marina, Your Hometown something. I've been in them when groups from Asilomar have come in. I think they have a shuttle that takes you to Pacific Grove but I don't know about Marina.

I would love to meet up with anyone who comes. I know your time is pretty tight so maybe a meeting at one of the LQS's.

What is the quilter/teacher ratio? Do you get individual attention and help with the project? Are they ART quilts or traditional quilting/techniques?

I would love to learn needle turn applique and work on a very traditional antique looking quilt. Who would you recommend?

Thanks for the tons of information. Keep it coming. We would all love to hear what goes on in the other world.:D

Bonnie - we were lucky to have Patricia Cox come to our guild meeting and do a trunk show and a demo on needle turn applique. Then we had her all day on a Saturday for a "rosemauling" applique class - very FUN - FUN - FUN!!! She is an AWESOME lady and does such beautiful work!! I think she is in her 80's (or around there) and NO glasses even!! Her Hawian Cut work is so smooth..... excellent teacher! I would Highly recommend her if anyone has a chance to take a class of hers.... not sure on her schedule or where she might be...

She will be at the MN show in 2 weeks giving quilt appraisals.

I sure don't like the sound when I hear a quilt shop closes. I've been living out of my stash, but I still buy once in a while. I'll be glad when we hit the rebound in this mess. What's it gonna take?:mad:

(Sorry to go political.)

I heard that Hand Maiden closed because it was on the main street of Pacific Grove which is being closed to vehicular traffic for a long period of time. Backporch survives for several reasons including a very savvy owner and a location on a side street near the main drag.

Also FYI Boni: Mary Sorenson gave workshops at our guild in hand applique. I don't do ANYTHING by hand but by the time her class was over, even I wanted to pick up a needle and give it a try. If you see a class with Mary anywhere, grab it.

Both traditional and art classes are offered. Class sizes vary. One year I was in a class with Ruth McDowell (she hardly teaches anywhere anymore except for her home town, Asilomar, and Kalispell MT) and there were 27 students. That was BAD...way too many students for any one teacher and most were Ruth groupies who were taking their 3rd or 4th class with her and doing individual & highly complex pieces. That was an unusual case, however, as most classes are about 20 students.

If you're interested in 5 day classes with one teacher, you can also check out Quilting Adventures in Texas and Art Quilt Tahoe...both are set up on the same format as the Empty Spools workshops at Asilomar.

Nancy in Tucson

Originally posted by DoryJM

I'm celebrating (haven't decided whether that's the correct word yet;)) my 50th in January 2010.

DORY Celebrate is definitely the correct word.

Celebrate and keep on celebrating.

I have children older than you. I'm still celebrating.

Hi Dory!

I have been to Asilomar once and I think it's a GREAT way to celebrate your 50th. Maybe I'll start squirreling my money away so I can celebrate my 50th that way.! :-)

As someone else mentioned only you can pick the class that's right for you from the teachers that will be there when you're there.

Take a camera, and leave some time at the beginning or end of your trip to do some sightseeing along the coast. It is an absolutely beautiful part of the country.

If you have some specific questions that I might be able to answer feel free to send me a U2U.

We flew in and out of San Jose which worked well for us, but next time I'd like to fly in and out of San Francisco because I've never been there. I think the drive time is similar (I could be wrong), but the advantage to San Jose is that the airport is small and there isn't any big city driving.

Sue

Ha ha on me!

I just now noticed that you're from Quincy, CA so telling you about how gorgeous that part of California is, is sort of like preaching to the choir!!! I don't suppose my flight information was helpful either. Sorry about that!!

As to whether it's worth it, and would I do it again? Yes, and yes, but I'm a landlocked mid-westerner and would go back just for the beauty of it. But, it's well run, and the teachers they invite are all top notch. And, yes there is some fabric shopping on site, and two quilt stores a short drive away, although I only went to one.

I go every year, it is fabulous. Look through the choices, check out their web sites. You will know which instructor/class is right for you. I have been three years in a row and plan to go a second time in one year, later this year. It is my first choice for a vacation.

Archived