Hobbs 80/20 vs Warm & White

I've used Warm and White for a while and am wondering how it compares to Hobbs 80/20. Would those of you who have used both give me a comparison of their characteristics. I realize the 80/20 is cotton/poly vs. all cotton in W&W. Also, I don't have a business license but know where I can purchase the 80/20 for $5.99 a yard, 90 inches wide and want to know if that is a good price. Thanks for your help!

I have used both battings and like them both equally but for different reasons. They both quilt beautifully and wash equally as well. You can't go wrong with either one. The difference I find is this: Warm and white is a heavier denser batt, it shows very little definition in the quilting and creates a heavier quilt. Hobbs 80/20 is lighter, shows a little more definition in the quilting because there is more loft and creates a lighter quilt (not as light as Hobbs Heirloom which is very similar to Cotton Dream, but has a scrim). If you chose a poly with more loft the outcome will be different than these two batts.

So for me the question is when quilting a quilt...what is the outcome I am looking for when choosing a batting? Do I want definition, do I want it flat like the 30's quilt, am I going to do some trapunto (sorry can't spell), how is the quilt going to be washed, who is the person receiving this quilt (baby quilt that gets washed a lot or one that is going to sit on a shelf) and do I want it to crinkle up when washed.

Look at some of these questions to really help you decide which batt is right for the quilt. Many customers don't consider this when choosing a batting and just pick one because everyone uses it and says it is the best.

I have both in my house for the different reasons stated above and if I want more loft, I will go and purchase a wool batt or a poly batt with more loft.

Yep Everything Cheryl said....the only thing I have found with the Hobbs 80/20 is that SOME of the packages have more skrim or sticky stuff on them than the rolls do...I just steam the beegee out of it with my hand held steamer, it loosens it up and the quilting is a breeze and the drap is better. If you don't do this, the stick stuff comes out in the first wash, but I like the feel of it steamed before I quilt...its not so rough on my hands and I can see the loft better right away.

HI Carmen,

I also have used the warm products as well as the Hobbs. I personally felt like the Hobbs Heirloom and Tuscany products were far superior to the warm products. I felt that the warm products were stiff and heavy. I experienced much more needle drag with them . The Hobbs product that is similar to the w & w is 100% cotton with scrim. It handles much like the w & w but is lighter and much more drapable. I feel that the Hobbs Premium 80/20 is a great all purpose batting. It is light and easy to needle, is wonderful off the roll as you don't have all the wrinkles to steam out, and gives a little loft due to the 20% poly. 80/20 offers a great quilt job with a little texture in your quilting. Batting is always a personal choice and for the most part you can sell your customer on the batting you prefer to work with and can increase your quilting profit when you buy from a distributor instead of a retail outlet! If you would like to read more about the Hobbs Batting fibers and properties just click on the link below.

quiltedmemoriesllc.com/hobbsfiberdescripton/

Lyn

2006 Millie

913-492-8877

www.quiltedmemoriesllc.com

Since I had a surprise from Hobbs 80/20 just yesterday, I have to share. When I used my damp sponge to remove blue markings, something in the batting (dark brown) blead up onto the top. Right in the center of a cream color 6" border! This is a personal gift quilt for my SIL so my plan is to have her come over to get it & actually go thru the motions on how to wash since I know she is going to wash it to death. (This is my attempt to extend the life of this quilt) The spot is about the size of a matchhead and I think it will come out in the wash. I always question myself when I have white backing or lots of white in the top....."Is the natural batting going to show thru?' It never has but I will be looking into another brand when this roll is gone, and it will definitely be white.

Has anyone here had this happen with Hobbs before?

Guest Linda S

I like the Hobbs 80/20 a lot more than the Warm products. You get a lot more definition to your quilting and the quilt won't be quite as heavy as it is with the warm products.

Linda

So after reading your posts here, my question is how do you all feel about Quilter's Dream products? I am new to longarming and posting here so may have missed a discussion about them. I always supplied the LA-er with Quilter's Dream for my quilts. :cool:

Personally, I prefer 100% bamboo over Hobbs or Warm products. I like the drape and soft feel and crinkle to my quilts that bamboo gives me. My quilts are washed alot. Bamboo works for me. Warm and Natural gives a heavier/flat feel to my quilts that is sometimes desirable. But bamboo is my preferred batt.

I have used QD Green and black poly batts and was pleased with the outcome of both. I don't think you can go wrong with anything Quilters Dream makes.

Okay, maybe I am the only stick in the mud. I don't care for the thinner QD products. They stretch too easily and one can make a stretched out area (a B cup:o)so easily when trying to smooth out a wrinkle. I can get the same drape and thinness with Hobbs Heirloom with none of the stretching because it has a scrim and it still shrinks up some after washing to give you an old fashion look.

But QD does quilt nicely and looks good, but i prefer not to use them.

I love Quilter's Dream Blend...I am a diehard fan. I have both size rolls....king and queen.There is no stretching. Their cotton Reqest is too thin and is not recommended for LA, but the cotton Select and Deluxe are wonderful.

I just ordered Hobbs 80/20 Black because I found the QD Poly too heavy and that is the only black they sell.

I do have a question for those of you who use the QD wool........what thread(s) do you use? I tried King Tut on top and Botton Line pre-wound bobbins and had all kinds of tension problems. Dawn told me to use less weight than King Tut on top. Has anyone had that problem? Also since I haven't used Hobbs 80/20, do all the threads work well with it?

I like QD Blend because it stays where I want it to and doesn't stretch when I work with it. However, I'm still not sure I like the way it looks when it's quilted. Plus, I was using it in all my quilts until I made a quilt for my daughter for a wedding present. She tells me that is the least warm quilt they have. I like warm, cozy qiults. I don't like the QD Cottons or any 100% cotton product that is delicate because I stretch it too much getting it loaded and rolling the quilt back and forth. I'm not crazy about the way Hobbs 80/20 feels, but once it is in a quilt the quilting looks better then the QD Blend.

I think for my personal use, I'm going to go to a wool bat.

Originally posted by wnott

Since I had a surprise from Hobbs 80/20 just yesterday, I have to share. When I used my damp sponge to remove blue markings, something in the batting (dark brown) blead up onto the top. Right in the center of a cream color 6" border! This is a personal gift quilt for my SIL so my plan is to have her come over to get it & actually go thru the motions on how to wash since I know she is going to wash it to death. (This is my attempt to extend the life of this quilt) The spot is about the size of a matchhead and I think it will come out in the wash. I always question myself when I have white backing or lots of white in the top....."Is the natural batting going to show thru?' It never has but I will be looking into another brand when this roll is gone, and it will definitely be white.

Has anyone here had this happen with Hobbs before?

I've had this happen with several different brands Hobbs included. Batches of wadding seem to vary quite a lot, and if you get one with more debris in it this seems to happen more often.

Personally I prefer the warm products, both warm and natural and warm bond, partly because the seem to be more consistent (or I've got luckier with them). I like them being a bit firmer and thicker before quilting. The soften up with use and I think they wear very well.

Ferret

Originally posted by wnott

Since I had a surprise from Hobbs 80/20 just yesterday, I have to share. When I used my damp sponge to remove blue markings, something in the batting (dark brown) blead up onto the top. Right in the center of a cream color 6" border!

I have not had this happen with Hobbs but I did have it happen with warm and natural and the main reason I no longer use it! I'm not a huge fan of Hobbs but I have it if my customers want it. I haven't decided if I'll reorder when my supply runs out. My favs are the same as Meg. Quilters Dream Wool & Dream Puff which I use the most. I did get a sample pack of all of their battings and I'm going to pick a few panto's to do using 1/2 of the batting. I will mark each batting and keep the sample for my customers to see how they quilt up. I will cut the sample in half, half will be washed and half not washed. I am finding that batting is one of the hardest decisions for customers to work. I have plenty of sample quilts with puff and wool but need to have samples with 100% cotton and the others as well. I find that the 70/30 blend quilts nicely but it is heavy and doesn't drape or snuggle the way I like it too! What I love about QD is that I can order whatever qty I want and get it quickly! They have excellent customer service.

Living in the south with mostly mild winters, I don't use wool batt. Another reason I shy away is the felting. If the batt is 100% wool and is washed a lot it will eventually felt. Really. I do like both Warm and Nat/white and Hobbs 80/20. Hobbs may be my favorite. I also have had the unpleasant experience of QD stretching. It does feel wonderful, however. All of these products are good. I think you just have to find the ones that make your quilts look and feel like you want. I may one day try bamboo but want it "time tested" on someone else's quilts first.

I bought a roll of Warm and Natural when I first started out but am not overly thrilled with it because stitching just doesn's show very much. I do like their warm and bright for poly batting. have to admit I haven't tried anything else except those very scary battings my customers bring. Learning how to make them work and have finally gotten brave enough to say can I use my own batting and not charge you if it is really scary stuff. the thing is we have such great machines we can quilt on anything. and that is wonderful

Archived