What should I use now.

At times I like to challenge myself beyond what most others would. In this case it was junks of quilt top and chunks of what was formerly an old wool blanket, which only has about half enough left for the quilt. We found a fabric he likes for the front, and prairie points around it, big ones, but can't find the old wool blanket we once had. He likes the weight and the warmth, so what would you suggest I use in a good batting line to replace it.??

Would appreciate your input.

RitaR

post--13461902108174_thumb.jpg

The most dense of the waddings I have used is warm and natural. I've put two layers of that into one quilt to get a heavy and warm feel. Don't know how close that would be to the blanket. I guess you could use a couple of layers of wool wadding but it would have a lot more loft than he was used to. Weight wise it would be pretty similar though.

Can you try charity shops for blankets and get enough to piece? Maybe butt the edges of the blanket together and then zig zag them together?

Ferret

Being Charitable is one thing but I agree with Ginny. Start over from the beginning and do it right. In other words start it over and make a new quilt from the start in piecing. It would be faster then getting frustrated with what you have now. It would cost more doing the repairs then make quilt from start.

I OFFERED to do this, for a good friend. He's had this and used it every day, as evidenced, since 1985.

We have removed the old top and the blanket. the back is salvageable.. He asked and I declined, then I realized, take it apart put on new top and batt, where is the diff in doing that and putting a top and real batting into a quilt? I have all the prairie points cut and folded, ready to sew on. The old blanket was too thin in spots and too pulled out of shape, so had huge waves. By the time I trimmed it down to being flalt, there would be nothing left.

Ferret, thanks for your help.. will have to look and see what I can find to totally replace the wadding.

RitaR

The wool battings that I have seen would be much lighter than the old wool blankets used to be and have more loft as well. The QD poly is about the right density, but is also lighter. I would go (well, actually, I would go with Ginny, but...) with the 2 layers of Warm & Natural. It might be a little thickers than his wool blanket, but should be about the same weight and density. (Actually, maybe even one layer of W&N would work, as it is quite heavy.)

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies.. I think I'll check at Giggly Pig next week when we go over to Dunn. If nothing there, thrift stores, Craigs List, etc.. will see about a trip up to Joanns.

I've not heard of wool/bamboo, so that sounds like an option to check into just for the knowledge if nothing else..

Many thanks, ritar

Hi Rita,

I remember this salvage project from your visit!

Have you thought of using fusible batting for this? It is a bit sturdier than regular poly batting, and the fusible will stabilize both the old fabric and the new. I remember this had been tied. You can still tie it, or easily load as one piece after using, and then quilt it on Penny. Email me if you want to discuss further. Smoochies to Roland!

Well, I DO WANT to do it and I CAN SEE ME DOING IT. I didn't say anywhere that I didn't, nor that I wanted to keep the top, the batting blanket, etc. Linda R, yes this is the one we talked about. I didn't realize then that the top was just plain rotten and there were some serious chunks missing too. Thus we decided to replace the top, replace the bat with something, and patch the denim back, with blue Jean pockets, weird freehand shapes since he's such a nut.

I don't mean to be, nor to sound snotty.. I'm not..

I will post a couple picts of what is left of his backing (the light blue on the mangle) and the fabric I'll use for the top and the prairie points.. Still not sure about the batting/filler.

post--13461902111963_thumb.jpg

Rita

what are you doing? what is that big roll thingy, an ironing machine or what?

I don't think I have ever seen one of those gadgets.

as for the quilt, i would salvage just enough of the top to also make patches on the back so that he would still have some of the original feel to it. It won't have the same feel as before no matter what type of a batting you use, because it was tied before and so loose the feel with be different, but I am sure he will love it just as much. God Bless You.

Looks like Rita has a nice roller-style mangle (usually an ironing "platform" where you lower the head onto the board to press fabric). In the second photo you can see her pressed prairie points laying at the bottom where they landed after running through the roller. Neat machine!!

Rita,

I'm not exactly sure how to do it but do you think you might be able to "felt" two wool battings together? That might give you the same feel as the wool blanket. But first check thrift shops. I just remembered something......my dad was a Navy man. They issued wool blankets back then. Maybe try a Army/Navy store?

Archived