Questions about whole cloth quilts

Okay all you quilting geniuses, I have several questions about whole cloth quilts:

1. Do you just quilt the BeeGeeBees out of the whole thing? I have a wonderful pattern with grapes and grapevines and birds already marked off. Do I stitch them to death only leaving the outline of each item? The ones I have seen have very little unstitched areas.

2. Mine has a white area in the middle (50X50). I plan to add a small yellow flange around it in a pale yellow and then a 6” strip of pale yellow toile and then another small yellow flange and then white again. Can I still consider it a whole cloth? It should finish our about 60X70.

3. I don’t plain to do trapunto. Should I use a double batt?

I'm not a quilting genius, but I'll give it a shot to answer your question.

If it were mine, I would plan to use 2 batts. Stitch the grapevines, leaves, etc (outline them) then quilt the BeeGeeBees's out of the background. Anything you want to stand out, I would outline it and give it some texture, like veining in the leaves. the 2 battings will cause the unstitched areas (leaves, grapevine, etc.) to pop out and look like a faux trapunto.

It will not be a "whole cloth" if you add your flanges and toile to it.

For entering in most shows, a wholecloth is a top made of all the same fabric. It can be one piece,

or it can be seamed, but it should be the same fabric.

"Innovative" wholecloth quilts can have colored batting, a print fabric like toile placed under the fabric to shadow through,

or the top can be colored ala Irena Bluhm.

But the top is still all the same fabric.

Even the yellow flange might not work for entry in the wholecloth category in some shows.

If it isn't made to show--do what you want!:) It sounds wonderful!

Dib,

Looks good. This is from Irena's book, right?

For a wholecloth you will need to use all the same fabric which like Linda said could be pieced but it must be the same. For wholeclothes my personal opinion is that you have to have a balance between unquilted areas and quilted areas. This unquilted area is usually a relief area and it stands out because everything around it is quilted down. Now this doesn't mean that everything has to be micro stipple around it either. For me I let the quilt talk to me. I try to listen and quilt from there!

Yes, sorry, I should have posted up front that the design came from the Irena Bluhm's book, Quilts of a Different Color. I haven't taken a class. I just went to it. It was very easy and I plan to do several with my own designs now that I know I can do them. I had no idea I could control the machine well enough to pull it off. But....I have somehow found myself these past 2 months. Go figure. Her techniques are really easy. I might even do a large piece using her style. I am glad you all like it.

Instead of a whole cloth perhaps I should just do what I want and then figure out what category it should go into, huh? I did want our judges to judge my quilting, however. They pretty much just do that in the wholecloth category, don't they?

Archived