I love busy backgrounds

I love more non-traditional backgrounds, but I think in this quilt, it didn't work as well..Perhaps it is too blendy. Another thing I didn't like when I was done, used a Sulky thread, love the sheen, but it was a bit too thick for the feathers I think. The border had a varigated thread which seemed to work well. I'll post 4 pics...let me know how to put 4 on one post!

H

post--13461902204068_thumb.jpg

Holly,

You are busy girl! This came out very nice. That background is busy but I don't think it is horrible. To post more than one picture you need to post it to webshots first, then paste in the link and you can add as many as you want. The nice thing is that once you post them to webshots you don't have to manually resize them, you can pick from many sizes with the click of a mouse!

So Holly, I have a quilt that has a busy background. I did one once with thread that was virtually invisible and my designs could be viewed only on the back. What can be done to make the quilting show on such a busy background?

See...

post--13461902204542_thumb.jpg

Boni,

I really like that quilt and the border is great!

If you wanted your quilting to show, you can go to a slightly darker thread in the body of the quilt. Sometimes even a heavier thread is more visible than So Fine or Bottom line. A Sulky shimmery thread is a bit thicker and has a bit of a shine so you would notice it. A significantly darker thread would challenge and overcome the design of the quilt.

Now on the outside border, (if the dark fabric is navy blue) I would try feathers with a blue thread. Yum.

I think I "see" what you mean. It would be nice to accentuate the rosebud wreaths and have them stand out like trapunto. But the borders are large--10 inches and that would be the place to use a high contrast thread to do feathers, or something beautiful. I like that idea. The ribbon inner border is navy/dark green.

Thanks for the post, pictures, and ideas!

Contrasting thread is the only thing that will make quilting show on a busy background. Not a quilter's best friend however. If someone brings me a quilt with busy background, I try and discourage custom, as it will not show. A good alternative is allover through the field of the quilt and maybe a separate border design.

Archived