Grandbabies & Taxes

Two grand babies in different states in the past 5 days & I'm trying to get the 2008 taxes done B4 the extension (Aug 15th) is up! I'm really kicking myself here, have avoided that Quickbooks program like the plague (this is for hubby's business - not mine) & I thought once I figured out how to get all the info in & in the right place it would be a breeze. He has literally 1,000 or more gas receipts, not to mention burgers & motels & it goes on & on. Actually, I'm 3/4 of the way through and all is looking good but it's hard to focus with kids on the phone having babies, and being fearful after 18 hrs of labor, then doing a c-section and concerns over the baby's condition - all in the wee hours of the morning - then the icing arrived for my cake. Hubby got e-mail from our largest customer saying they have just completed an audit by the state and auditor's report says 'this vendor should have been charging them sales tax on his labor?' I need to call a lawyer but I'm going for a drive to the country first and get some fresh air. I think I'll go pick up my sewing machine from the shop too. How's that for priorities? I talk big....I'll be up till the wee hours at it tonight again.

Sarah Hope Lovvorn (Atlanta) 6 lbs 1 oz 19" long born July 30th

&

Gabriel Joseph Nott (Chicago) 10 lbs 8 oz 21" long born Aug 4

Some of you may remember the story of 'Vienna's Quilt'...hubby's former wife's quilt that I assembled & quilted in 5 days B4 she passed away & they buried it with her.....well, here's the rest of the story. Her first grand child was born five yrs later on the same date she passed away.

I'm going for a drive......

Originally posted by wnott

Some of you may remember the story of 'Vienna's Quilt'...hubby's former wife's quilt that I assembled & quilted in 5 days B4 she passed away & they buried it with her.....well, here's the rest of the story. Her first grand child was born five yrs later on the same date she passed away.

Yes, I remember your story about Vienna. I think Vienna is smiling down from heaven on her family. You are an angel, Wanda. Congratulations on your ever-growing-larger family.

PS: Quickbooks is very easy. That's what I use. Don't stress too much. It will all get done. I am sure you'll manage.

Nice healthy sized Grand babies! Any pictures yet?

I just finished paying bills for the month UGH, and I can't imagine having to do taxes this time of year--big ugh. Makes me want to go out for a breath of fresh air too.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Happy GrandMother's Day to you! You'll love 'em!

Well, I started out the door on that drive but don't you know it, the phone rang. I did get a nap, with a call from one of the new mommy's in the middle...and the circle of life continues. I love growing older, ugh I mean wiser:P Instead of being the disciplinarian I have always been, these babies have me blubbering at any given moment! None of these children are my own, I never had any of my own and these emotions are all new!

Thank every one of you for your reply's, Happy Happy Belated birthday Shana (I understand 8/4 is also Obama's b/day?) & I'm gonna look you up one of these days when we are in AK....(another story, another day).

As for Sales Tax on labor in Texas - We have an appointment with a highly recommended accountant next week. By then I will have all the data in QB on the laptop and can take it with so he can clean up my accounts. I have put everything in a separate account Shana, so he can clean them up and do the 'tax line mapping' so I can do our taxes in the event he can't at this late date. Back to the sales tax.....So far, my crash course has taught me that there IS sales tax on any labor provided as a "service" however, as pertains to us, much of our income was as contractor for another contractor, who does charge the end user sales tax. That is a great relief as it counts as about half or more of our labor income and our liability before their interest and penalties is approx $5,000. (started business 11.1.07) by my calculations, so it's not as bad as we initially thought. DH was ready to sink the ship. I told him the fat lady ain't singing yet!

Thanks for allowing me to vent here my quilting sisters, now I can get back to QB!

Pics of both babies are in my family album on webshots. (Had to get that in there:cool:!!!!!)

I understand about children not being your own and then the grand babies and emotions. I do not have kids yet my DH has a daughter from a previous marriage who is married and has a little boy that is 4 years old. Yes, there are times it is hard to feel like a grandma, but when the little one calls Grandma that feeling goes away....

I hope that you tax issue is resolved with little penalty.

Happy Belated Birthday Shana!!!:D:D

Archived