These boots are made for quilting

I recently posted about the quilt I'm working on for my daughter which has lots of detail work. I love Sharon Schambers method of adding foam and using rice bags. I found a way to get the same affect by using the microdrive handles only! I think it was Kath that dubbed them as being shoes but I keep thinking boots (can't get that song out of my head) for the microdrive, hence the name. Many of you asked me for directions and pictures so here are both. I love how it works and now I can take them off and on very quickly. You can add as much foam as you need. Generally 1 piece works enough for me and I found that 3 was a bit much. I just want to slow it down a little to give me more control when following a pattern or trying to backtrack dead on. I don't use them when doing something like micro stippling. Hope you like.

Microdrive Boots.pdf

good morning Heidi!

Just an FYI, when you put your edgeriders on, you'll really need these boots! I love my edgeriders, but sometimes they are too fast.

I've been learning to slow down my speed as I don't have a stitch regulator and am hoping these "boots" might help... I don't have the micro drive handles, but mine can be positioned to act like them...

Your work is so incredible, I am always in awe of what you'll do next!

Always challenging myself to be better! -b

Originally posted by Mercedes

Hi,

I'm a newbie so need a little more explanation on what the boots do. I see how they're made and put on the microdrive handles but what is being accomplished by adding the boots? Bear with me as I learn. Thanks! Mercedes(Kay)

The boots add a control for me. The machine rolls very easily and if you have a hard time with control then these will add some resistance. It isn't for everybody but for me it works. I tend to do very intricate type quilting and I want it to be dead on. I don't like using rulers as much. I still use rulers to do straight lines. Sharon Schamber never uses rulers. I find that it is too stiff and bothers my hands so I only use this when I'm outlining applique or doing feathers that have lots of backtracking. I hope that helps.

Kath - sorry to add to your buying! I wouldn't be without my micro drives. I love having my hands down on the quilt.

Originally posted by hmerrill

Kath - sorry to add to your buying! I wouldn't be without my micro drives. I love having my hands down on the quilt.

Oh dont be sorry Heidi , They where already on my list :PI have been trying to stagger my spending. Not doing too well. ;) I sometimes wonder what my postman must think with the amount of parcels that come from the USA :D

THANKS HEIDI

That was a great idea. I did a make shift the other night just took some batting folded it up and used painters tape to hold it on to the handles. It does work, I only put it on one handle but even that helped me out. I was able to back track much better on my small feathers. Now I will have to make some cool colored boots for my microdrives too.

Archived