Now with pictures - Advise requested about a quilt...Am I asking for trouble?

I agree with the advise of those above. It is unfortunate that your friend took such liberties with your time and skills. To me, that is the most difficult part of this situation. You will have to talk to her & make sure she understands that this is no favor to you!!! As to the quilt - I would give it back unless the customer comes to you personally and you are able to agree (in writing) to terms you are comfortable with including price, batting, thread, design, time frame of work, etc. Even though you are not in business, you will have to treat this job as a business venture & then keep track of all your expenses and time involved.

I am not in business and don't plan to be, but occasionally, someone will ask me to do a quilt. Fine. I keep track of everything and give them a copy so they can be sure that all is fair and properly priced. They are very appreciative. No contracts are involved, but I am very careful. If I ever do go into business, I want everything on the up and up and make sure that all involved - past and present - are happy. Don't get yourself in a bad situation. If you do go into business, bad situations now (no matter how innocent) can come back to bite you............. Good luck!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sandra--put the top in it's bag and put it in a closet. Do not stress over it for one more second. Write down the date of your emails to both your friend and the phantom customer. Put it with the top. When someone replies (obviously at their leisure) you can drag it out and then go from there, with proof that you did try to contact them.

(I love the sampler you posted on a separate thread! Do some more stuff for you and forget about the added anxiety of this un-asked for and perhaps un-quiltable top.) Just another of my many two-cents worth.;)

Fageddaboutit! Not your problem.

Thanks for the input, Meg and Linda.

Linda, I took your advise about doing more stuff for me, so I picked a giant zuchini from my husband's garden and made two loaves of zuchini nut bread! It is cooling now. Yum!

Now, I guess I better get started making dinner. The sooner we eat dinner, the sooner I can have my dessert. ;)

$40.00 you have to be kidding!!! My minimum charge is $50.00 (even for friends). Baltiks aren't the easiest fabrics to quilt and if she hasn't washed the fabrics, well you know where I'm going with this. Ditto on all the other advice given here.

Kim... The zuchini bread was/is delicious. Our veg garden is almost gone, too. way too much rain this summer. (:

Well, I did get a return e-mail from this lady today. She just wants it finished for a baby shower. I decided to tackle this and so far, so good. I sewed a 6 inch strip of muslin to the narrow sides so I could clamp to it. The fabrics were not washed. This was a kit from Keepsake Quilting - Salt Water Taffy. It's very pretty...but yes, batiks! I am using Sew Fine pink # 418 on the back and Rainbows # 807 - Seashell on the top. She insisted on a variegated thread and my Liberty likes Rainbows much better than Tut. She also wanted a very thin batting..my choice. I picked up QD Green in the crib size which was perfect. I had to frog about 6 inches on my first pass, but after that I am good....so far. I sent her an e-mail tonight to say I would have it finished for Wednesday evening, and there was an additional $5.00 charge for the muslin and my time to attach it (took about 15 minutes). The batting is exactly what I paid, including tax.

I also had a "chat" with Liz..my friend, and let her know that I know she was trying to help, but it is much better if I talk directly to people and make my own decision. I explained the position she put me in, and that I seriously considered not quilting this and just returning the bag as is. This is MY hobby. In the future, that is exactly what I will do, I explained. She understood that I was upset about the situation and she said she will not get involved again. One can only hope!

I'll post pictures later in the week.

Thanks ladies. I appreciate your support. The quilting is finished now and looks great. The tension behaved...whew!!! I was concerned about getting it perfect with the unwashed batiks and the thin batting, but it looks good. The Sew Fine and Rainbows are a terrific combination on my Liberty and I was able to use colors that melted together - no huge contrasts to see pokies.

The Dream Green batting was very nice to work with. This was the first time I tried it and I like it. For this quilt I would have prefered a natural fiber, but she wanted very thin batting and didn't care if it was poly or natural, and this was what I had available that was thin.

I have a guild meeting tonight, so I told her Wednesday it would be available. I'll let you know what she says when I give it to her. I'll try to remember to take pictures, too.

I met my mystery lady last night when I dropped off the quilt at her house (not my meddling friend's house).

She said she loved it and was so excited to get it back this quickly.

I took some pictures of the quilt before I delivered it. There they are:

This picture shows an overview of the quilt. Notice the 5" muslin strips sewn to the two sides. The backing was only 2 inches wider than the top. That made it impossible to clamp th the backing. The muslin made it all possible.

post--13461902455902_thumb.jpg

Archived