Yet another trying to decide....

Terrinm

Hi everyone, I'm a fairly new quilter and am now researching longarms and boy am I glad to read that so many others have the same doubts, fears etc that I am having!! This is crazy lol. I've (or rather DH) has pretty much narrowed it down to a Millie, because of the quality, the warranty length and a few mechanical things that I didn't pay much attention to lol.

Is anyone here from New Mexico? I've driven a Nolting Fun Quilter and that was enough to let me know I will love doing this and I don't really want to wait until Houston to test drive a Millie. I want it now! :)

Then can anyone direct to me good pics of the table? I will probably go with a 12' because I just don't think I'll have room for a 14 until the basement is finished and that could be a while. But that could change once I actually get out a tape measure. But I would really like to see pics of one up close just to get an idea. The Nolting I tried was on a Hinterburg (?) frame and fairly straightforward to use. I know these will be heavier and most likely nicer (price give that away lol) but I'm having trouble finding good pics.

You all are so patient with those of us stressing out over deciding, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say Thank You!!

Terri

Terri, if you don't get any pics, e-mail me at home tomorrow and I'll take some for you. I may already have some, but they're probably on my computer at home.

My husband was a big deciding factor with the Millie as well. He talked to the factory forever and then came with when I test drove. Smart decision!!!

Hi Terri,

As I advice everyone who asks me.......... go and travel if that is what it takes, but you need to test drive all the machines and yes, husbands are a great asset when making this decision. Yes, we all want to imitate Gen Y and get it NOW, but this a big committment so take your time and get it right. Also decide exactly what you want this machine to do because they will all handle differently. And if you are a fraidy cat now............. just wait 'till you get the machine delievered and this huge "thing" sits in your room and you're are all alone with it!! Wow! (I am not very good with rollercoaster rides either!!:P)

Also go to classes, as many as you can. You just get so many good ideas about what machines can do and what others like or dislike. You also et to see machines in action.

No matter what you decide to get, you will always be welcome on this site!!

Terri, try them all. What one person may like about one brand of machine, another person may not. It really is a matter of personal opinion. I have a Nolting PRO 24. I have owned three Noltings. I love my machine and I love the Nolting table. Everyone here loves their machines. Everyone with a Gammill loves theirs, etc. Gotta try 'em all, then decide what YOU like the best. Make a list of what features you want in a machine. Take your time. It took me three years of researching all the machines before I made my decision.

ok I'll try to slooow down :) This is so overwhelming and yeah I'm not very patient lol. I got the dvd in the mail today and it was very interesting, I was also to see the table much better than what I've found online. So now I think I will wait until after Houston to decide and that way I can try out several of the APQS machines and the Noltings. I thank all of you for your input, it has been a great help!

If you haven't done so, read the thread regarding APQS vs. Gammil, as pertains to differences in the machines. There are some things that I didn't know, but now that I do make me even more happy my choice was a Millie. I owned a hobby quilter and before I even thought I'd be buying a longarm I said if I ever did it would be Gammil or A-1 because their plants/offices are both practically in my back yard, within 75 miles from me. Took DH with me to test drive the Millie, we both liked it and he is the one that encouraged me to get it rather than any of the others. I've been 100% happy with it and support from both APQS and the forum has been tremendous. Good luck with your decision.

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=18172

Mark, thanks! I found their info last night.

roberta, didn't see a U2U from you, so I sent you one :)

Deb2bie, thanks for the info, I will definitely keep it handy!

meg, got it and will send one back.

Carmen, I found that thread last night and got tons of great info from it, thanks!

I think alot of my problem with deciding is that I know they are both great machines and since this will be my first one I know I'll most likely love either one. DH only goes for top-of-line (to bad for me huh? lol) and I tend to be "sensible" which he likes to refer to as "cheap" lol. So I will contact the dealer in Santa Fe to see about a test drive on the Millie and find a Nolting TOL to test then go from there. Or at least that's the plan for now, give me a hour and may change lol.

Terri

Archived