Ever-Ready Muffins - corrected!

OK Shar here is my recipe. This recipe you can make and put in the fridge for up to 6 weeks. They bake up great.

15 oz. Raisin Bran (7 cups)

3 cups sugar

5 cups all purpose flour

5 tsp baking soda

2 tsp salt

1TBS pumpkin pie spice

2 TBS vanilla

4 beaten eggs

1 cup melted butter

1 qt buttermilk

1 cup pumpkin

1. Mix bran, sugar, flour, soda, pumpkin pie spice & salt in large bowl

2. Add eggs, butter, vanilla, pumpkin & buttermilk. Mix well

3. Store in covered container in refrigerator.

4. Bake 400 15 - 20 minutes.

Hi heidi

thank you for sharing that recipe. I don't think we can get pumpkin pie spice over here, would it ruin the recipe if we didn't put it in or is there something else we could substitute.

Debbie

Do you just leave out the pumpkin in your recipe or do you change the quanitity of the other ingredients.

I love the idea that the mixture keeps for up to six weeks. I'd always have some ready to go when visitors come by or for the school party plate.

Thanks

Sue in Australia

OK Karen and Sue - In the US we can buy canned (tinned) pumpkin that is already cooked and mashed. I have made it myself from a whole pumpkin. You can cut the pumpkin in half, take out the seeds and lay on a cookie sheet cut side down with a little water. Bake for about an out until tender. Let cool a little and then scrap out and mash just like you would a potato. I will make up bags of this mash and freeze it when I do a whole pumpkin. I've not tried apples but my guess is it would work. I would make sure that I let the apple sauce sit and drain out the juice through cheese cloth before I used it.

Sandra it makes about 5 - 6 dozen muffins if memory serves me!

Hi Sue,

My recipe has the same quantities of the other ingredients. It just doesn't call for Pumpkin or pumpkin pie spices. I don't know what the texture is like with the pumpkin but they are nice and moist the way I make them. I bet the pumpkin just makes it puimpkiny not really changing the consistency. I'm going to make them this week with pumpkis and see.

My DH had a friend that used to add a whole lot of cooking oil to a cake mix when he made one. He said it made the cake last longer!! I don't have a problem with cake getting stale around here!! It didn't change the taste of the cake, it was just VERY moist!!

Archived