QuiltSmart Interfac & Problems??

Hi.

I have a Mariner's Compass to quilt that was made with what I think is QuiltSmart interfacing. It is a papery fabric-like backing still attached to the fabric. She seems to have appliqued the center on to the background by machine. The points are thick and a bit lumpy. The seams are more than 1/4". I have permission to trim, as needed. In some areas, there is excess interfacing.

It is a bright batik design.

I would like to use Highlights thread by Superior and wonder what problems may pop up! I am hesitant to test on her quilt. Can Highlights stand up to the abrasive interfacing and batiks???

Thanks for any help or thoughts!

Lisa

APQS Liberty

NW NJ

Any experience with this type of quilt before?

I never had to much luck with Highlights so I can't tell you how they work on a batik with quiltsmart. I have quilted quilts with Quiltsmart and had no problems going through the thicker seams, but I was doing custom and could go slowly in and out of those thick seams (even if it meant one stitch at a time). I used So Fine or Signature thread

Someone else might have a better idea when using Highlights.

I wouldn't recommend Highlights on Batik especially with the interfacing in between, So Fine works better for me on Batiks. I find that the mulitple seams shred the Highlights and Rainbows because of the tight weave of the Batik fabrics. The batting a backing will be part of the equation as well so if it's a Batik back it might be even harder to quilt with Highlights.

Don't get me wrong I love Highlights and Rainbows and use Superior's threads 98% of the time but the Batiks really beat it up!

I have done a lone star using Quilt Smart, and really didn't have too much of a problem with the quilting. I used So Fine TOP and BOTTOM. BL is a bit too thin. The interfacing is reall pretty soft and not too much of a problem. The seams are a bit of an issue, but really not to bad, as long as you don't have to frog. I would use the quilt smart again. It made constructing the quilt very easy.

I am glad to read this now, I have a Lone Star to quilt for a customer using this method....

Her problem is the bright yellow fabric she used in the center points - looks like to different shades of fabric now with the quiltsmart only on 1/2 of the back points.... she was wondering if I could "fix this somehow"........

At least I know now I can quilt it!!

A few weeks ago I quilted a lap size quilt for a lady that was batiks on the top and batiks on the back, and used QD Green batting. The backing had been washed and dried, but not the top. I used So Fine in the bobbin and Rainbows on the top. No breakage. I was just doing a puzzle meander and went a bit slower than usual. The kit was from Keepsake Quilting and I think it was called Saltwater Taffy. There were lots of colors of pastel fabrics pieced on the top and the back was a pink batik. It was very pretty! She wanted a variegated thread on the top. I was thinking about using a Tutt cone I have on the top, but since I sometimes have trouble with Tutt's tension, I went with the Rainbows. The variegation was not as pronounced as the Tutt would have been, but it looked beautiful and she was very happy with it. (Wheeew!)

I regularly quilt on batik with Rainbows, Highlights and Bottom Line and have experienced no problems. I think the Rainbows coordinates well with the batiks. I use a 3.5 needle purchased from APQS on a Millie and run the thread fairly loose (I don't do the 'triple wrap' through the 3 tension holes). I use Bottom Line in the bobbin (pre-wounds work well, but self-wound work too) with Rainbows or Highlights on top.

I am not able to attach a photo today, because my computer crashed recently and my photos are not in original order, but this link to my webshots shows a batik mariner's compass done with Rainbows and Bottom Line:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2561562370102244065JZLZtx

As far as thick seams and intersections, I would plan the quilting to avoid the intersections, and go slowly over the thick seams (don't try to make a straight line).

Joan and all,

I just finished quilting some of it and was annoyed by the lack of straight lines! Your post is dead-right! Even with a ruler, steady hand, and lots of SID experience I have visible wobbles. Of course I'm using 30 weight high contrast thread! Decided I was done for the day after seeing it.

So far, the batik with QS is not an issue...other than the wobbles. (Her piecing is another story!) Just used Brytes by Superior. Highlights will be for tomorrow. So Fine in the bobbin.

Thanks for all your help. This forum is wonderful. It is good th know the QS really has no effect on the quilting, other than the bulk.

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Well, I spent all day on the darn thing. I will skip QS quilts too, Carmen! Straight lines are frequently impossible, very frustrating. The batiks are no problem though. The thick thread looks nice but shows everything! There are few real ditches so traveling is really visible. Hope the customer likes it. Two more days and it should be done.

Lisa

Archived