Best Way to Make Sure Knots Hold?

Gable

You have to actually bring up the bobbin thread tie a knot about 1/2 inch from the bottom in the two tails and thread a needle and hide the thread in the batting, this will pop the knot through into the batting and hold it from working its way out, hopefully!! it is a bit tedious and not everyone does it but you will find especially for show quilts most will.

To 'knot and bury' stitches means to bring the bobbin thread up to the top...knot the top and bobbin threads near the quilt...and then using a needle...run the thread tails inside the quilt sandwich and back out again and 'pop' the knot so that it is tucked away neatly inside the quilt. Then trim the excess thread tails. This secures the thread inside the quilt and keeps it from coming loose. Clear as mud??? Hope this helped!

Gable...I always bury my finer threads this way it's not going to come back out....I do mine a bit different than most, as I use a really really long needle and I bury the threads at least 7-9 inches into the quilt...have never had one come back out yet. I also always tie the two threads together before I bury them.

<a  href=2992000810091819759S425x425Q85.jpg' alt=

I do my knots one of two ways. I either do a double knot (not sure if that is the right name) I loop through twice with on tail then switch tails and loop through twice with that. I've heard that is a surgical knot. The other way I do it is to knot both thread tails together like Sharon Schamber. I think both hold just as well as the other. Then like Bonnie (great pics Bonnie) I pull it into my sandwich.

Archived