Memory Quilts

I just saw one yesterday and she did like ribbon candy around each one to frame it... she did the same around all of them... sorry I didn't take a picture!

I have quilted thru the background, but not on the faces...hope that helps... OH, I think it also depends on how big the pics are... you don't want the quilting too far apart.

Virginia I think you will get all kinds of answers on this one. My personal view is to not stitch through the pictures. I hate to see quilting through faces and such. If the picture is too big and can't be left unquilted then I would ouline the prime figures and leave it alone. For the border there are tons of options. Pick something that meets the flavor you're going with. For instance if you want elegance and romance go for a feather border, if it is for a guy or somebody who doesn't like feathers (how dare they LOL) then go for a geometric type treatment. Really there are thousands of options. I always start by trying to figure out who I'm quilting it for and pick the design I think they will like best.

If the pictures are bigger than 4-5 inches, they need some kind of simple outline stitching as Kim and Heidi stated, but smaller than that you can just SID around them and they should be okay...AS LONG as your batting can withstand stitches wider apart. If your batting calls for 2-3 inches, then you need to do something dense to keep it together.

I'm totally in thought with NO stitches in the pictures...but there are times you just have to. ALSO as I'm typing I remember one quilt that the lady demanded stitches through the pictures and it actually caused the pictures to peal off the fabric. Now that was many years ago and I would think the products are a bit better than then, but I would take a look at that as well.

I have done several photo memory quilts and I prefer not to stitch on the pictures. Bonnie is right regarding the batting, make sure the batting you use can with stand open spaces as large as your pictures. The last thing you want is to have your batting clump up under your photos. The largest photos I have ever done on a quilt is 6" hexagons. I don't recall the batting I used, but it could with stand that size. I made that quilt a little over four years ago for my daughter and it has held up good so far. I have a couple memory quilts on my webshots. I have done several more that are not on webshots; I had a computer crash and lost most of the pictures of quilts I have done.

I just finised a king size memory quilt. It had 8 1/2 X11 pics nd the batt said every 4inches I stiched through the pics. outlining the people made them look like cartoon characters so Embellished the backgrounds. the certain or wainscotting or outlining the mts and put birds in the air. I use monopoly smoke and clear and then my thread to do couches, curtains etc..... So yes you can embellish pics. I had my friend (it was here quilt) come and look at the cartoon character outline and gave her the choice she choose embellish.

Hope this Helps.

Melora

Originally posted by mswings

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check on the batting. The pictures are all 4X6 except for 1 which is 8x10. I sure don't want the pictures pealing off!!;););) That would be a disaster! Thanks for the link to your webshot Liam. That helps tremendously.

If the photos are printed directly on the fabric, they won't peal off. The peal off problem was with the photos that you ironed onto the fabric.

I have quilted right over the photos with Bottom Line. The thread is so thin that it doesn't distract from the photo at all. I wouldn't do it with something like King Tut.

Virginia, I do a lot of T-Shirt quilts and I believe the theory would be the same. I never stitch through a picture. I do something around the area that I can. Especially pictures that are of a rubber consistency. Holes will never come out. I do as little stitching on the rubber material as I can and if that means that one or two pictures are not stablized, then so be it. Better than a large hole showing.

Like Holly, I have quilted through the pictures. You can't help it when the pics are big, but I use either Bottom Like or Sew Fine in a neutral color that will blend in and hardly shows. Also use a cotton batting on the thinner side so the batting doesn't create deep contours and you won't see the quilting in the pictures unless you look really closely.

Archived